Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   TurboXS FMIC install (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182784)

ChefRacer 03-28-2012 08:08 PM

TurboXS FMIC install

So today I installed my turboxs FMIC today and I thought that I should let you guys know about my experience. First off, there were no pictures or diagrams in the instructions, so other than knowing which pipe connected to which other pipe, it was pretty much a guessing game. All seemed to go quite smoothly until it was time to attach the bumper.

The directions state that the stock fog lights remain intact....there is no chance in the world that the fog lights can remain intact. After hacking away half of the housing for the drivers side fog, we realized that the fog lights needed to come out for the intercooler piping to clear.

The directions also stated that "some trimming" was needed, we took about 2 1/2"-3" of the bumper cover off before it just barely cleared the intercooler. The core is pretty big though

After everything is said and done, the intercooler looks badass b/c there isn't much bumper left in front of it. It seems to be working well although I def need a tune. I've lost about 2 lbs of boost, but I'm sure that can be remedied with a tune.

I really just expected better fitment/instructions from an intercooler thats as expensive as this one.

One last thing.......I HATE POPPITS

kongzilla 03-28-2012 08:10 PM

2lbs of boost. is that commmon for front mounts or is it because the core was big.

Pictures?

mwm5094 03-28-2012 08:22 PM

^boost loss is very common

kongzilla 03-28-2012 08:26 PM

Thanks.... Must remember to get retuned after FMIC install.

ChefRacer 03-28-2012 08:33 PM

I'll post some pictures tommorow, I've had a busy day today w this thing

mr.hicksta 03-28-2012 08:34 PM

Hmmm....I'm not switching back to an FMIC, but I'm in for pics. Considering TXS is behind this I expected nothing but stellar reviews. Strange....

mr.hicksta 03-28-2012 08:35 PM

And FWIW ChefRacer, on the Infamous website it say 05-07s might not be able to keep the fog lights.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...T-Front/Detail

.:Catalyst:. 03-28-2012 11:30 PM

Interested in seeing pictures as well. I'm leaning heavily towards the PW when I get to that Stage but I have a thing for TXS bits now that I'm preparing for Stage 2, and will be securing the TXS CBE as well.

What intake did you go with? Did you use the TXS WRX/STi fitment one? Curious to see bumper, intake, and BPV positioning.

Thanks!

BAC5.2 03-29-2012 04:15 AM

One thing to keep in mind, is that this is not a kit designed for the LGT. It's the 08+ WRX kit, sold for the LGT.

I'll be doing my install at some point eventually, so I'll try and improve the instructions for an LGT/OBXT install.

The comment on IP&T's site about some 05-07's being able to keep the fogs is right on. I've seen the install on an one that kept the lights, and yours didn't.

mr.hicksta 03-29-2012 04:35 AM

That's interesting. I was under the impression changes were made for the LGT. When are you installing yours BAC?

BAC5.2 03-29-2012 04:39 AM

No changes were made for the LGT that I am aware of. They did an install on an 05/06 a while back, and it was a bolt-in.

Probably sometime mid-april. Whenever my turbo is definitely on the way is when I'll do all the stage-3 preppings.

mr.hicksta 03-29-2012 04:44 AM

Got ya. Well if anything I know the TXS is going to be high quality, and I think it's damn near impossible to install an FMIC in an LGT or OBXT without doing some hacking. Just the way it goes I suppose.

What turbo are you going with? Are you going to be in town next week? I'll be up that way on Wednesday to pickup my offspring :).

@ChefRacer - :needpics:

:D

BAC5.2 03-29-2012 04:55 AM

Turbo is top-secret.

I'm actually going to Texas all of next week.

ChefRacer 03-29-2012 05:50 AM

Sorry I haven't gotten pics up yet, I was out till 5 am getting a tune from STI Mikey. As soon as I wake up a bit I'll put some pics up, I did take a bunch.

mr.hicksta 03-29-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefRacer (Post 3820844)
Sorry I haven't gotten pics up yet, I was out till 5 am getting a tune from STI Mikey. As soon as I wake up a bit I'll put some pics up, I did take a bunch.

How was the quality of the kit overall?