Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Third Generation Legacy (1999 - 2004) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Improve gas mileage (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182561)

03silvertiger 03-25-2012 05:35 PM

Improve gas mileage

With the summer looking like its gunna break $5 a gallon anything I can do to bump my gas mileage. I get 27-28 on highway and around 23-25 in town. I have fresh tune up all new wheel bearings and k&n drop in filter and took away air silencers. So anything else I can to eek out mpgs maybe push it to 30 hw and 27 in town?

sunny_d 03-25-2012 06:36 PM

You get 27 mpg highway? I wish. I get about 24-26

babiker712 03-25-2012 07:02 PM

27 in town is a pipe dream. go get a civic.

03silvertiger 03-25-2012 07:58 PM

27 is my low end i have gotten 30 on highway before but recent trip of 400 miles on one tank was 28... i was thinking some aero mods like a under belly pan since i dont have one now. i also had like 200lbs of tools in the car for first 100 miles lol

octain11 03-26-2012 05:20 AM

27??? thats really really haha, i wish i got that,i get around 19-20 highway, with my new exhaust its suppose to increase mpg by like 5-7:spin:. but i get around 10-12, who doesnt want to hear that boxer rumble :lol:

sunny_d 03-26-2012 08:06 PM

Octain11 - hate to burst your bubble but exhaust will NOT add 5-7 mpg. Dealers would be doing it for everyone if that was the case.

Silvertiger- have you done any mods/recent maintenance/what do you run for gas?

octain11 03-27-2012 05:47 AM

sunny_d- yes it will, especially with a high glow cat, car release air better, with a new exhaust there is less restriction means better air flow, thus creating better mpg, i have seen a difference as well

references:

I am a mechanical engineer

sunny_d 03-27-2012 08:18 AM

My knowledge on this - I'm a graduating civil engineer and have spent the last 9 years working with cars. You're honestly telling me that exhaust will increase your efficiency so much that your mileage will increase by 26.5-35% sorry I call bs. Maybe if your cat was overly clogged, causing a cel and throwing you car into a "limp" mode which runs super rich, but take a car with no issues and you will not see that. and that would correlate into the efficiency of the engine being increased even more.

Not wanting to make this an argument, I just know that is an unrealistic increase for an engine with no issues before the exhaust.

octain11 03-27-2012 08:45 AM

not arguing either bud, like i said above new exhaust is "suppose" to increase 5-7 mpg, thats what stromung and borla claim, from my experience with the car it has increased roughly 9% which is pretty good, regarding that i have borla uel headers, stromung high flow car and stromung axel back, congrads with the civil engineering, not many people know the the harsh work us engineers go through, i am currently co oping with lock lock heed martin, i have learned quite a few things working with them

Pock3t 04-02-2012 02:06 AM

remove any unnecessary objects in your car that could possibly add weight.. putting the recommended amount of air in your tires can also improve your gas mileage.. o and avoid riding the breaks! i hate driving behind those people!

ce ander 04-03-2012 11:25 PM

With gas reaching the $4 mark or even $5 mark by this summer, a subaru is not the best mpg car. But you can make it get better mpg. I commute to UC Denver Medical from C/S in 2000 GT with 200k. During summer I had old crap BF tires and pumped them up to 45-50 psi and got 32mpg. When the tires were gone I got a set of Hankook H727 tires, which have better rolling and traction, at normal psi get 30mpg at 70mph. However, I have a colleague with same car with 300k who put on Continental eco-plus tires and gets 32-35 mpg. But these tires cost around $160 more than the Hankook and have 70k warranty compared to 100k. One can hypermile, by removing as much weight, ie spare seats, tire, tools, roof rack etc. Google hypermile subaru, and get more ideas. Though subaru's don't get great mpg, they can't be beat in Colorado when it can snow any day of the year.

justflick 04-04-2012 09:02 AM

27-30 sounds overly optimistic for the car.
You can get as close to new gas mileage with a tune up though.
Check for old plugs, wires, and proper coolant temperature when warm.
My car was running 10% rich and I discovered that it was because a bad thermostat was forever keeping the car in "warming up mode".
I didn't improve the gas mileage from stock, but I did recover quite a bit of it.

sirstinky 04-04-2012 11:52 AM

Silver, you get 27-30 in the highway and 23-24 in town? Want to talk about trading cars? I am dying out here with $4.00 gas, and that's the cheap stuff. I get 17, maybe 18 by some miracle, and about 20 highway. There are trucks that do as well. Fill up's are $54. I am not sure if there's something wrong with the car, but my mileage is horrible. My dad's '05 OB XT gets that, but will do 30 highway. Your mileage is about as good as it's going to get. If you want better gas mileage go buy a Honda Civic or Toyta Corolla.

octain11 04-04-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirstinky (Post 3830937)
Silver, you get 27-30 in the highway and 23-24 in town? Want to talk about trading cars? I am dying out here with $4.00 gas, and that's the cheap stuff. I get 17, maybe 18 by some miracle, and about 20 highway. There are trucks that do as well. Fill up's are $54. I am not sure if there's something wrong with the car, but my mileage is horrible. My dad's '05 OB XT gets that, but will do 30 highway. Your mileage is about as good as it's going to get. If you want better gas mileage go buy a Honda Civic or Toyta Corolla.

same for my car,gets exact mpg,but with my exhaust and everything i am more of a douche so i get around 14-12

stoggy 04-06-2012 08:26 AM

I get an average of 450 km in the city to a tank....279 miles. Not great but it's spirited driving, I baby my car but I drive it like its meant to be driven. That said, I came across a product called EcoFuel Saver. It's a little 60mL bottle you dump in your tank before filling up and it rearranges the molecular fuel structure making it easier to burn. Easier to burn = more complete burn = more efficiency.

Your supposed to run it for a full 5 tanks. I just finished my first tank and without a word of a lie I did not change my driving style once. I ended up with 592 km (368 mi) city driving. That's a whopping 142 km (89 mi) increase! I wish I had a way to actually prove this to you guys because I know I'm gonna get haters thinking that I'm just making this up..I'm not.

I will run it for the full 5 tanks like suggested. I also noticed near the end of the first tank that the engine idled a ton better, and the acceleration was way smoother.

I don't know who sells this stuff in the States or if it's even available down there but Canadian Tire sells it up here.