Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Subaru News & Rumors (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2014 Subaru Forester Spy Photos (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181941)

The B4 03-15-2012 04:38 PM

2014 Subaru Forester Spy Photos

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...+and+Driver%29

Quote:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...-s-429x262.jpg

What It Is: A 2014 Subaru Forester prototype in heavy camouflage. Caught testing on public roadways in the U.S., the pending fourth-generation model was running with a Honda CR-V and a Ford Edge, which indicates the expectations Subaru has for the newest Forester.

Why It Matters: Subaru has long been the go-to brand for wagon- and crossover-driving members of the crunchy elite. With entries from nearly every brand impinging on its territory, however, Subaru’s ability to update and adapt one of its bestselling vehicles without compromising its core attributes will be crucial for the brand’s success.

Platform: Expect the Forester continue to use an adapted version of the Impreza platform with conservative increases in width and length. The previous Forester was one of the first Subarus in decades to utilize fully framed windows, and that will carry forward to the 2014 model. A small quarter window is now located at the base of the A-pillar where the mirrors previously resided; the mirrors have been moved to the doors. The row of spines on the hood is likely (we hope) part of the disguise.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-original.jpg

In the single interior shot, the center stack and IP appear to have been redesigned to better match those of the new Impreza, including the familiar and functional three-knob HVAC controls. A new LCD screen for the infotainment system sits above that; at least in this configuration, it appears Subaru’s interior designers have gotten over their obsession with mid-’80s Nissan radios.

Powertrain: Given that it was just launched, the new Forester surely will carry over the current naturally aspirated 2.5-liter FB-series flat-four, likely with the addition of direct injection.We expect a turbocharged model, too, but probably of a smaller displacement; the 2.0-liter FB engine in the Impreza is a good candidate for forced induction. A manual should continue to be offered, while the current four-speed automatic, which handicaps fuel economy , will be replaced by a CVT.

Competition: Honda CR-V,Toyota RAV4, Ford Edge, Ford Escape, Kia Sportage, Volkswagen Tiguan, Subaru’s own Outback and forthcoming XV Crosstrek.

Estimated Arrival and Price: Plan onthe Forester arriving next year as a 2014 model. As for pricing, there’s obviously no word, but the current Forester starts at $21,370, so figure on that and some change for the new model.
Gallery: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...+and+Driver%29

rakapur 03-15-2012 06:38 PM

gotta see the back window, it can't lose the square shape!!! this is a big advantage we have over the CRV and Rav4.
CVT is really disappointing to me, i wish they put a 5 speed auto. with a CVT its not going to be an outdoorsy suv anymore :(

pillboy 03-15-2012 06:53 PM

In for the ass-sucking styling.

flakeyblakee 03-15-2012 06:55 PM

Why do they keep putting the mirrors on the doors like that? It looks horrible

Ozzy 03-15-2012 10:23 PM

What transmission will they throw in with the turbo model if it comes out? I assume not the CVT but there is also no stick shift option for the current Forester. Maybe they will throw in the 6 speed from the current Legacy?

ChefRacer 03-15-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 3801487)
What transmission will they throw in with the turbo model if it comes out? I assume not the CVT but there is also no stick shift option for the current Forester. Maybe they will throw in the 6 speed from the current Legacy?

They won't put a manual in it....look at it, it's a cross between an outlander and a pilot. Subaru has been pushing towards vanilla suvs, a manual transmission might actually make it interesting. The forester and Outback used to be the Anti-SUVs, now it looks like they are going to honda for inspiration.

The B4 03-15-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flakeyblakee (Post 3801209)
Why do they keep putting the mirrors on the doors like that? It looks horrible

Increases visibility and allows for better aero dynamics for better fuel economy

Quote:

Originally Posted by rakapur (Post 3801183)
gotta see the back window, it can't lose the square shape!!! this is a big advantage we have over the CRV and Rav4.
CVT is really disappointing to me, i wish they put a 5 speed auto. with a CVT its not going to be an outdoorsy suv anymore :(

Outback seems to be doing just fine with the CVT. It's more outdoorsy than the Forester is.

Ozzy 03-15-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefRacer (Post 3801497)
They won't put a manual in it....look at it, it's a cross between an outlander and a pilot. Subaru has been pushing towards vanilla suvs, a manual transmission might actually make it interesting. The forester and Outback used to be the Anti-SUVs, now it looks like they are going to honda for inspiration.

That's what I was thinking, but what auto transmission will they throw in it then to handle the extra power? Unless the CVT they throw in is built up for a more powerful turbo motor..

The B4 03-16-2012 12:01 AM

Subaru Australia stated they are getting a diesel CVT. That means a CVT that can handle the torque does exist or will exist in the near future. I'd rather see an Auto turbo though, but I'd never buy either. We are a manual family

ssbtech 03-17-2012 11:34 AM

Subaru needs to hire an interior designer. Don't get me wrong, I think the new Impreza/Forester interior is far better than the previous interiors, but if it's a different car it should be a different interior.

Just like the Legacy/Outback. It's a somewhat utilitarian looking interior - it works in the Outback, but the Legacy should have received something else.

hmmrdwn 03-18-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbtech (Post 3803686)
Subaru needs to hire an interior designer. Don't get me wrong, I think the new Impreza/Forester interior is far better than the previous interiors, but if it's a different car it should be a different interior.

Just like the Legacy/Outback. It's a somewhat utilitarian looking interior - it works in the Outback, but the Legacy should have received something else.

Some of Subaru's interior designs and choices could be better. You make an excellent point. Subaru is improving though lags behind. It might be due to the low MSRP and expense of putting in awd. I can't stand the seat fabric pattern and quality. The door cards, carpet and other interior materials are substandard too.

ssbtech 03-18-2012 11:30 AM

Subaru had a good interior in the 05 Legacy. It was on-par with the interior design in the 3 series at the time (before BMW went to that stupid flat dashboard) and, IMO, better than the A4 which was just full of VW bits.

If you look at anything from Hyundai these days, even affordable Fords, you'll see that good interior design isn't necessarily all that expensive.

hmmrdwn 03-18-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbtech (Post 3804686)
Subaru had a good interior in the 05 Legacy. It was on-par with the interior design in the 3 series at the time (before BMW went to that stupid flat dashboard) and, IMO, better than the A4 which was just full of VW bits.

If you look at anything from Hyundai these days, even affordable Fords, you'll see that good interior design isn't necessarily all that expensive.

Hyundai has improved their interiors. I don't think they are much better than a Subaru's though. Probably about equivalent, but that only makes sense since they cost about the same and Subaru puts more cost into the drivetrain.

Subies4Life 03-19-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbtech (Post 3803686)

The Foresters interior is nicer than the Impreza,Legacy and XV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmmrdwn (Post 3804494)
Some of Subaru's interior designs and choices could be better. You make an excellent point. Subaru is improving though lags behind. It might be due to the low MSRP and expense of putting in awd. I can't stand the seat fabric pattern and quality. The door cards, carpet and other interior materials are substandard too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbtech (Post 3804686)

The 05-09 Legacy dash design was beautiful and high quality i wish Subaru would have gone with the same shape for the new one but the current Legacy is a huge downgrade in materials and craftmanship.

The B4 03-19-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subies4Life (Post 3805509)
The forrester should have always had it's own separate dash design just like the WRX should of had.

I agree 100% it looks like shit,Honda and Nissan are doing it too it's a horrible trend that throws the whole design off.

A cable shifter manual? yuck please god no,how is it holding up in the new Legacy? probably not as much or as near as the better STI 6 speed that was in the last gen car. The last gen 6 speed was soo much better.

Sorry but you cant say outdoorsy and cvt in the same sentence. The last generation and the generation before that were better equipped,and more rugged than the current ugly Outback which is more or less a softroader wanna be crossover now.

The 05-09 Legacy dash design was beautiful and high quality i wish Subaru would have gone with the same shape for the new one but the current Legacy is a huge downgrade in materials and craftmanship.

Another rant. Subaru is moving the mirrors in their quest for better mpgs. Have you sat in a 2012 Impreza? The A pillars are thinner and the improvement in forward visibility is really noticeable.

The cable operated shifter seems to be holding up just fine... especially since the GT is more powerful than the last generation. The transmission is based off an updated version of the one found in the BL. Many, many vehicles use cable operated shifters. Honda has used them forever and they are one of the brands always praised for their manual transmissions. The only Legacy with the 6 speed was the spec.B and that was only for 2007-2009. That transmission is heavy and way too expensive for 2.5i duty. Since there isn't a spec.B... no STI six speed for the GT. At least it isn't saddled with a 5 speed and spin at 3,000 RPM at 75 MPH like your car.

The CVT in the Outback performs better than the 4EAT in the previous generation and it gets better MPG. There are plenty of online videos of the +2010 Outback doing offroad duty.

The only downgrade in the +2010 plus Legacy is the lack of a soft touch dash... and it's grained exactly the same as the soft touch material on the door which is way softer than what was in the BL. Every other material has been uprated. The fake aluminum trim has texture to it and doesn't flake like in the BL. The wood doesn't wear down like in the BL.

You have your negative opinions, but it's obvious that you aren't willing to see fact or reason. Having owned a BL and now owning a GR and BM, it's easy to see how comments like yours are based in Internet ire and nothing more.