Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Dashboard Gear Position Readout - 6MT (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181437)

Byll 03-08-2012 11:33 AM

Dashboard Gear Position Readout - 6MT

Maybe the experts here can answer a question for which the dealership has no answer:

On my 2012 2.5i N/A Legacy, the gear position readout in the dash has a split personality. When one moves the stick into reverse, the 'R' shows up immediately in the readout. However, for any of the 6 forward gears, the number only shows up a few moments after the shift. First gear does not show up until the car is moving. Why? Is this somehow RPM-related? What about the reverse gear? Just curious. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Byll

ziptiecloud 03-08-2012 11:41 AM

I noticed in mine that it only shows up when I release the clutch pedal

acumenhokie 03-08-2012 11:45 AM

I imagine the reason they have it show up as soon as you go into reverse is because they want you to be very sure you know you're in reverse (nothing is worse than moving backwards when you expected to move forwards).

For the other gears, 1 - 6, you aren't really in the gear until the clutch is released hence it doesn't show up until then.

1055 03-08-2012 11:48 AM

its based off the neutral safety switch shutting along with the calculated speed and rpm. You have to lift up to get in reverse so it automatically knows what its doing

Byll 03-08-2012 12:31 PM

I understand a lot better. Thanks for the input.
Byll

Types4 03-08-2012 12:35 PM

Neutral and reverse have a switch. 1-6 doesn't have anything at all. The ecu calculates takes into account the vehicle speed and rpm once you get off the clutch, and figures out what gear it is in.

BigDave 03-08-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Types4 (Post 3785554)
Neutral and reverse have a switch. 1-6 doesn't have anything at all. The ecu calculates takes into account the vehicle speed and rpm once you get off the clutch, and figures out what gear it is in.

^^^What he said^^^

VejaD 03-09-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Types4 (Post 3785554)

That, and there is a clutch position sensor. It will only read out when the clutch is all the way up. If you have a faulty return spring, you will not get anything on the display, and the car will think it's still in neutral.

(Source - My faulty clutch return spring)

ClimberD@HexMods 03-09-2012 07:26 PM

To expand upon the correct answer, this has been an going issue with the Legacy lineage. I have seen in logs how the ECU for my '05 takes a couple seconds to finally determine/update its correct gear based on rpm vs mph, or in the case of the automatics it's trans input shaft speed sensor vs output shaft sensor or abs sensors. Apparently the Reverse switch in the MT is not just hooked up to the light switch, but instead to the BIU.

RailKill 03-09-2012 08:09 PM

I noticed today that the number wouldn't come up on the display for a full second after the clutch was fully let out

frank_ster 03-10-2012 02:48 PM

its works via calculation, rev is instant becasue there is a switch in the tranny for the reverse lights.

you can prove this by going 40 mph and have the car in neutral and ever so slowly hold the rpms at some point, as the car slows down the display will show each gear even if your in neutral. i have played with many rental cars with this mostly audi a3 6 mt.

Captain Ned 03-10-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_ster (Post 3788707)
you can prove this by going 40 mph and have the car in neutral and ever so slowly hold the rpms at some point, as the car slows down the display will show each gear even if your in neutral. i have played with many rental cars with this mostly audi a3 6 mt.

Which also means that under power the same effect would be an instant warning of clutch slip.

frank_ster 03-11-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ned (Post 3789006)
Which also means that under power the same effect would be an instant warning of clutch slip.

yea .. never realy thought of it that way. but that would depend on its tolerance. i don't know if it would be +- 1% or what.

meier motor sports 03-11-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_ster (Post 3788707)
its works via calculation, rev is instant becasue there is a switch in the tranny for the reverse lights.

wouldnt the neutral switch on the trans defeat this?

frank_ster 03-11-2012 03:55 PM

I dunno , try it ..

the untill 2010 most eurpean cars didn't have clutch safety switches.