Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My BNR 18G Review (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180932)

jasejase 02-29-2012 01:08 PM

My BNR 18G Review

CLICK TO Post 126 for updated TUNE INFO. Also - Post 142 has my new dyno plot. Retuned at 347 whp!

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...e1/efidyno.jpg

Had AZP installs do a boat load of installs to my car this past weekend... Yesterday, EFI Logics did the tune. Thanks to both AZP and EFI for getting both aspects of the job done well. Coming from a stage 2, this was a noteworthy upgrade!

CAR:

2009 Spec.B

RECENTLY INSTALLED GO MODS:

BNR 18g Turbo with Upgraded Actuator Arm and wastegate
IP&T Filtered Oil Lines
DW 750cc top feed injectors
DW 65c High Flow Fuel Pump
Perrin TM Intercooler
NGK Iridium One Step Colder Plugs
Perrin turbo inlet hose
KsTech Cold Air Intake
Grimmspeed Boost Control Solenoid
TurboSmart Kompact Blow Off Valve
EFI Logics Stage 3.5 Dyno Tune via Cobb Accesport

PRIOR UPGRADES:

SPT 1.5 Cat Back Exhaust
Cobb high flow catted down pipe
Cobb Heatshield
Kartboy Shifter Bushings
Whiteline front adjustable sway bar
Whiteline rear adjustable sway bar
KartBoy Solid front & rear endlinks

As you should be able to see on the dyno above (if i pulled in the image right), the car made 301 WHP. Not too bad. EFI had it at 311, but couldnt get it consistent... So they conservatively backed it down to 301 to work out some quirks. That's on a Mustang Dyno, so the number is likely a bit low.

My impression of the 18G vs Stage 2:

I debated and haggled over which turbo to go with. I was torn between the 16g, VF52, and the 18g. Ended up with the BNR 18g.

Coming from a stage 2 setup, the most noteworthy differnce is the spool and boost characteristics. The best way to summarize it from a 'feel' standpoint, is that with stage 2 - you feel the punch when the turbo hits. It puts you back in your seat. With this new stage 3.5 setup - the punch is a bit less, but it seems to more gently increase the power before the good ol' stage 2 punch would have hit, making the base point a bit different. In addition, after the stage 2 came in with guns a blazin', it would quickly disiptate. Stage 3 just keeps at it... Seamingly getting stronger and stronger. I almost didn't notice it until i took the car out on my usual test spot, and hit a corner and had to ponder why it was so much more challenging to hold on the wheel! lol . It was because we were going that much faster. Snuck up on me.

There is turbo lag, just like with any turbo... But the powerband is much more linear than i thought. It doesnt all come in one big punch. So if you'[re on the fence - if you want the one big punch, and dont care about hanging on the boost to redline - stay with stage 2... Otherwise, upgrade away!

Anywho, thats by non-technical review of how she feels.

UPDATE: Keep scrolling through the pages to see my updated results with my new tune. 347 whp!

luchadorjose 02-29-2012 01:15 PM

congrats on the new monster. now how about catless downpipe and a bigger exhaust? :cool: I think the SPT is barely bigger than stock, size-wise

jasejase 02-29-2012 01:20 PM

Thanks!

It's 3" i believe.

nahh. im good under the hood. Im pretty close to where i want to be HP wise. Want to keep the car for a while. :)

Plus i dont want to do anythign else that i need to tune for. Tunes are pricey lol

i would rather put a little coin into some ss lines, and better pads. Not going bbk at this point. Im also thinking pink springs one day. STS soon... And likely a clutch one of these days.

Your build is coming soon right?! I will live vicariously through you! haha

bmx045 02-29-2012 01:44 PM

the spt 1.5 does not mean diameter, it means version, JOSEEEEEEEE

luchadorjose 02-29-2012 01:51 PM

i know, but i was under the impression the SPT was 2.5" to 2.25", while stock is 2.5" to 2"? and other exhausts (like the invidia) are 3" to 2.5"

luchadorjose 02-29-2012 01:52 PM

my "build" is just stage 2, turbo swap will have to wait until i get a raise or another tax return. lmao

bmx045 02-29-2012 01:52 PM

the stock system is good till upper 300whp's, the spt is more than enough.

luchadorjose 02-29-2012 01:54 PM

i can't talk to you with that avatar, :wub:

jasejase 02-29-2012 01:54 PM

Yep yep. Thats what i heard. got enough cash into this build already :)

bmx045 02-29-2012 01:58 PM

no you don't, you have a bnr turbo :lol: considering the efi tune cost nearly as much as your turbo

Nrw 02-29-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luchadorjose (Post 3772273)
i know, but i was under the impression the SPT was 2.5" to 2.25", while stock is 2.5" to 2"? and other exhausts (like the invidia) are 3" to 2.5"

Your thinking of the borlalalalalalalala

jasejase 02-29-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmx045 (Post 3772284)
no you don't, you have a bnr turbo :lol: considering the efi tune cost nearly as much as your turbo

yeah, no kidding. About half actually

At the end of the day to do this build, you're still between 2-4K. Depending on how you want to source your parts, and how much you want to do yourself.

I have seen guys go stage three with used parts and an home tune for $1500.... To each there own. Whatever you're comfy with.

Chris GTO TT 02-29-2012 02:39 PM

Looks like a lot of fun. Tell me how short is 1st gear now cause just at stage 1 first is super short :lol:

bmx045 02-29-2012 02:41 PM

you wanna know how short first is with a 20g? like 3 seconds

GTTuner 02-29-2012 03:08 PM

Nice numbers considering it was on the "heart breaker" dyno. Thanks for the write up!