Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   3.6R faulty fuel pump (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180887)

L3go 02-28-2012 06:10 PM

3.6R faulty fuel pump

For the last couple of months my car ('11 3.6R) has had an intermittent buzz and vibration from the rear passenger side when stopped at a red light or parked with the engine running. I put the car on ramps at home and traced the vibration to the gas tank.:confused:
I pulled off the plastic shields around the tank and placed my hands on it. Sure enough, when the buzz started I could feel the vibration. I figured it must be the pump. What else would be buzzing in the tank?
I took it into the dealer (Sewell Subaru in Dallas, which was a great experience BTW) and they confirmed that it must be the pump. It was removed/replaced and the noise has not returned.
I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about it, so I placed this here in hopes it could help someone else out if they have the same issue.

emblazoned 02-28-2012 08:49 PM

I think I'm having the same problem. The dealership will be replacing it under warranty work. They traced it to the fuel pump as well... haven't had it replaced yet but it sounds like it'll solve the problem. Thanks for posting up!

Magic Marker 02-28-2012 09:31 PM

No issues on mine so far.

3.6subie 02-29-2012 12:22 AM

That's new to me.

emblazoned 10-24-2012 09:24 PM

first off, i know i'm bumping an 8-month old thread but i just wanted to add that after my post (#2) i got the pump replaced and it was great for 8-months but i'm experiencing the griding/buzzing again. hope no one else is having this problem!

MN3.6R 10-25-2012 08:27 AM

I will have to see if I notice anything in mine as well. Since we are on the topic of warranty and 3.6, mine is in the subaru shop getting a wheel bearing and a faulty control arm replace and something in the steering column(not the shimmy issue). All under warranty. Glad it's all being fixed but they have had my car car for over a week :mad:.

Magic Marker 10-25-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN3.6R (Post 4129946)
I will have to see if I notice anything in mine as well. Since we are on the topic of warranty and 3.6, mine is in the subaru shop getting a wheel bearing and a faulty control arm replace and something in the steering column(not the shimmy issue). All under warranty. Glad it's all being fixed but they have had my car car for over a week :mad:.

Did they give you a loaner?

MN3.6R 10-25-2012 11:34 AM

Yes,a 2013 2.5 CVT. I hate this thing, no guts and whines like my kids. But they actually just called me 5 mins ago and told me my car is done!! And it's snowing outside!!

GTEASER 10-25-2012 01:02 PM

^^^Quick...go rally it for a little while before you have to take it back.

MN3.6R 10-25-2012 01:09 PM

I have had the car for a week, I even brought it out to the last Subary event. It has been driven properly

GTEASER 10-25-2012 01:46 PM

^^Good on ya, man!!

99leg 10-28-2012 11:39 AM

3.6R Faulty fuel pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3go (Post 3771011)
For the last couple of months my car ('11 3.6R) has had an intermittent buzz and vibration from the rear passenger side when stopped at a red light or parked with the engine running. I put the car on ramps at home and traced the vibration to the gas tank.:confused:
I pulled off the plastic shields around the tank and placed my hands on it. Sure enough, when the buzz started I could feel the vibration. I figured it must be the pump. What else would be buzzing in the tank?
I took it into the dealer (Sewell Subaru in Dallas, which was a great experience BTW) and they confirmed that it must be the pump. It was removed/replaced and the noise has not returned.
I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about it, so I placed this here in hopes it could help someone else out if they have the same issue.

I too hunted down the noise/vibration while idling. It got to a point where the noise drove my wife crazy!! I took it in for the dealership to take a look at it and when I described it to the service manager he knew exactly what to do with it. The week before a customer came in with the same problem but the vehicle was an Outback 3.6R. Since it was due for an oil change they performed the TSB for reflashing the TCM, harsh upshifting from a rolling start, fixed the TSB for road vibration, and replaced the fuel pump. The loaner car was another Legacy 2.5 CVT, sooooo glad we got the flat 6! All is well so far......