Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Classifieds - ARCHIVE (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   10 Posts For Sale Rule - CLOSED NLR (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180533)

Tide 02-23-2012 01:46 PM

10 Posts For Sale Rule - CLOSED NLR
 
Hey all - I wanted to clarify this rule since people continue to report people for not having 10 posts before selling something. We have programatic means of enforcing this, and have already done so on our end. We use a number of factors, besides post count, to restrict the for sale forums (like activity, PMs, time on site, grandfathered in). This means some people may have less than the 10 posts and still post in there. We'll update the for sale rules sticky soon.

Drift Motion 02-23-2012 02:03 PM

why not create a new usergroup for people that have under 10 posts, and restrict their group to not be able to view the FS forum, and when they hit a certain requirement, they'll get bumped back into the "regular" member group?

Tide 02-23-2012 02:11 PM

We are restricting via usergroups. It's not simply a postcount though.

Tide 02-23-2012 02:13 PM

It's not fair to tell someone who has hundreds of posts over many years they can't sell something because their "official" count is 8. We do many things to validate a persons real contributions to the site and restrict that way. For someone brand new today though, it would be 10 posts in on-topic forums, as most people understand it.

Jdmpappy 03-04-2012 08:45 PM

Sorry I'm not trying to go against rules I'm just learning my way around this site thank you

Robrags 03-09-2012 10:46 AM

So then can you tell me what is the best way to go about being able to make a post in the classified section? I've been reading on this forum for just about a year now, as i bought my car last April. I just joined the forum last month, and honestly have never posted anything because I'm "car retard", Ive learned quite a bit by lurking around here with you guys, to there point where I was actually able to change my radiator. Now my newest problem is my turbo blew and I wanted to make a post to see if anyone had one laying around to purchase. Thanks in advance for your help..

SBT 03-09-2012 11:57 AM

^^ and ^ Welcome to the site to both jdmpappy and Robrags. The best way is to start in the New Member introductions and let everyone get to know you there. Then migrate over to the techniclal and other on-topic forums. There's a ton of information posted there and I'm sure you'll see something that will generate a question about your car - and it goes from there.

GTTuner 03-09-2012 02:12 PM

And don't forget pictures of the items for sale!

Magic Marker 03-09-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTTuner (Post 3787570)
And don't forget pictures of the items for sale!

And your girlfriends too ;)

Loki 03-26-2012 01:10 AM

I'm super new here, but I'm old hat to car forums, I skimmed the rules....

I have one beef: It's damn near impossible to browse wheels (for example) when people don't put the location in the title as they are supposed to. I have this issue with larger items that are expensive to ship on some other forums.

Am I the only one that this annoys?

The solution as I would suggest it, would be to add a sticky user classifieds section to each region based forum, so folks can do a fun road trip to score parts. I know I'd bounce 100 miles down to Seattle in a heartbeat for some nice 18s. And there is no way I would go looking for a box and truck service to ship a bumper skin or a hood to someone. OFC the existing classifieds wouldn't need to change, it just offers users a way to double post and cover a larger area.

I have another suggestion that may help the forum, unless I missed it somewhere or it's been tried and failed for some reason.

Buyer and seller rating threads stickied in the classifieds.
This assumes a mod or well trusted user will maintain it.

Works like so: A person makes a buy or sale, the other party was not a flake, the item was as advertised, so they rate the other person in the thread, and the main post is edited to reflect the number of good or bad transactions a person has as a seller or buyer.

The noobie restriction is a good idea. I think another way to feel them out easily would be to have 2 good purchases to their name, a good buyer is often also a good seller.

(ironically my 10th post, and the first one of any potential use)

bigjweb 04-25-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tide (Post 3763439)
It's not fair to tell someone who has hundreds of posts over many years they can't sell something because their "official" count is 8. We do many things to validate a persons real contributions to the site and restrict that way. For someone brand new today though, it would be 10 posts in on-topic forums, as most people understand it.

How would you have hundreds of posts, but have an official count of 8?

SBT 04-25-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki (Post 3815482)
I'm super new here, but I'm old hat to car forums, I skimmed the rules....

I have one beef: It's damn near impossible to browse wheels (for example) when people don't put the location in the title as they are supposed to. I have this issue with larger items that are expensive to ship on some other forums.

Am I the only one that this annoys?

The solution as I would suggest it, would be to add a sticky user classifieds section to each region based forum, so folks can do a fun road trip to score parts. I know I'd bounce 100 miles down to Seattle in a heartbeat for some nice 18s. And there is no way I would go looking for a box and truck service to ship a bumper skin or a hood to someone. OFC the existing classifieds wouldn't need to change, it just offers users a way to double post and cover a larger area.

Welcome to the site - glad you could join us.

Yes - it's an irritant, and why we have this as a requirement for each FS thread, including WTB items. Some members aren't yet used to this process, but they get there over time, and the mods are pretty-well on-top of the reminders...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki (Post 3815482)
I have another suggestion that may help the forum, unless I missed it somewhere or it's been tried and failed for some reason.

Buyer and seller rating threads stickied in the classifieds.
This assumes a mod or well trusted user will maintain it.

Works like so: A person makes a buy or sale, the other party was not a flake, the item was as advertised, so they rate the other person in the thread, and the main post is edited to reflect the number of good or bad transactions a person has as a seller or buyer.

It's called iTrader and it's incumbent upon each of the parties (buyer and seller) to initiate it. The link to your iTrader is immediately below your profile information to the left of your post. You currently have 0 iTrader status - so get buying and selling... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki (Post 3815482)

The noobie restriction is a good idea. I think another way to feel them out easily would be to have 2 good purchases to their name, a good buyer is often also a good seller.

(ironically my 10th post, and the first one of any potential use)



Hopefully, and it's honestly what I would look for as a potential "buyer" of another's parts, a new member is inclined to add their contribution(s) to the site. Do others know them, are they active participants, on and off the site, or did they simply register to buy/sell on the site? So it's to a new member's advantage to step-up and add some value/contribute technical and content information to the site IMHO. It benefits the site, and creates that necessary "good member" sense about that seller.

BDII 04-25-2012 03:54 PM

I agree with the 10 posts to be able to post a thread, disagree with having 10 posts to be able to post in a for sale thread.

SBT 04-26-2012 10:10 PM

^ It's circular. Post in the FS threads increases post count...

BDII 04-28-2012 10:59 AM

Pro-Tip:

make posts in the FS forum not count: problem solved


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 PM.


LegacyGT.com