Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Warranty Issues & Problems (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Water in Passenger Footwell (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18050)

jdanhires 08-30-2005 06:13 PM

Water in Passenger Footwell

Well, the remains of Katrina have been hitting Cinci pretty hard tday. Tonight, I got into the LGT to pick some stuff up froma friends house when I noticed some water in the passenger footwell. Enough that the carpet is soaked and pressing on the carpet reveals 1/8 inch of water. It appears that the water is leaking in from the center console area. I know some people had a problem with the AC drain tube being clogged, but I find the timing of this leak too coincidental to be that.

Calling the dealership tomorrow to see what they can do.

John

PGT 08-30-2005 06:19 PM

look for a drain plug under the footwell. Pull it if you can...sooner the better.

jdanhires 08-30-2005 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
look for a drain plug under the footwell. Pull it if you can...sooner the better.

I shop vac'ed most of it out. I was unaware that there was a drain plug though. Thanks for the heads up.

John

PGT 08-30-2005 06:58 PM

I'm not 100% sure there is, but most cars have them. It should be visible from under the car, so check before yanking things apart.

PGT 08-30-2005 07:07 PM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...drainplugs.jpg

possibly these?

*Jedimaster* 08-30-2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patagonian GT

Wow- I never knew about those- I'm gonna have to peruse my vacation pix more thoroughly!

jdanhires 08-31-2005 07:09 AM

Follow up....Today on the drive to work, I noticed that when the car was pointing nose down and to the right, that the fan was sloshing thru water. :-( Called the dealership, and they seem to think it's a blocked drain tube. I think it would be to much of a coincidence for that, but they seems to think they can fix it in an hour.

John

c-lo 08-31-2005 07:40 AM

had similiar issue with my wifes jetta. drain tube coming down from the sunroof had a tear in it and had flooded the drivers side compartment. fixed under warranty.

PGT 08-31-2005 09:11 AM

make sure to get new carpet out of the deal. No matter how dry you think it is, you will get mildew unless it's 25F out there.

c-lo 08-31-2005 09:30 AM

YOu know, that was my concern too, as soon as it happened I went to the local car wash and used there dry vac (i didn't care) and got most of the water out. had a detail shop use some chemical to get the smell out, and it worked.

jdanhires 09-01-2005 05:56 AM

Good news....

I think it was a blocked drain tube. Since I can't leave well enough alone, I ripped apart the passenger footwell last night to see what I could find out. Word of warning: The metal cover the ECU has some very, very sharp edges. The tube runs behind the wire harness for the ECU, and is slightly constricted by the tie-downs. I loosened the tie downs, and as soon as I repositioned the tube, a large puddle was forming under the car. So, either I dislodged whatever was in the tube, or it was constricted enough to cause this leak. Car will still be going to the dealership tomorrow to get checked out.

John

jdanhires 09-07-2005 08:27 AM

Dealership fixed the car last night - turns out that the drain tube was clogged. They removed the blockage, and also replaced the windshield wipers under warranty.

John

Dotanukie 09-16-2005 05:42 PM

Hey all, on the way home from work tonight I heard this weird sound, like water sloshing around in a plastic container and my fan was making strange noises. Low and behold my passenger footwell had about an 1/8 inch of water in it, carpet was soaked. Sopped most of it up with towels and get the rest with the shop vac but I'm not happy. I read through this thread, my question is, is the general concensus that the water is coming from the A/C evap condensate and not an outside water leak? Sure seems that way to me. They can't get my car into the dealership until early next week, and I don't want any more water in there, so I'm thinking if I run without the A/C until it goes in I should be OK right? Sucks though because it's been 90 and humid around here the last few days. This is the first problem I've had with the car (other than the stutter) since getting it 3 months ago. Oh well, nothings perfect.

Wondering if I should bother tearing apart the carpet and footwell or just leave it for them. Also wondering if I should push for a new carpet, the it wasn't all that wet but as hot as it's been I don't want any mildew or funky smells.

dv8ingvector 09-16-2005 09:20 PM

Mine just did it again for the second time too. If you catch it fast your carpet should be ok. This is a retarded problem and the only car I have ever had this happen to, and twice now in a year!

legacy_y_tu 09-17-2005 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdanhires
Follow up....Today on the drive to work, I noticed that when the car was pointing nose down and to the right, that the fan was sloshing thru water.

John

Uh oh. this sounds familiar. *goes to check car floor*....damnitt. My passenger floorwell is soaked!!! Off to the dealer. I'm so pissed, this better not stink up my car or they'll be replacing my carpet too!!:mad: