Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   5th Gen 2.5i underpowered??? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180456)

fwd2awd 02-22-2012 11:58 AM

5th Gen 2.5i underpowered???

Hey all,

I've been seriously looking at the new Legacy, but one thing I've read has been bothering me. Several sources have mentioned that the 2.5i powertrain is "underpowered." I have yet to test drive the car myself, but can anyone speak to this? I am especially interested in what those of you with the 6spd MT think. With the exception of one car, all of the others I've ever owned have been a MT and it's just one of those things that I don't wanna part with. Unfortunately, that rules out the 3.6R and I'm not sure i can justify the 2.5GT.

I currently drive an '09 Accord coupe, 2.4L, 5spd MT. For what it is, it's pretty quick, making 190HP. I'm afraid that the move to the Legacy would be a step down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

nadracer 02-22-2012 12:08 PM

I think you'd be happy with the 6 spd 2.5i. The people that complain the most about the 2.5i are those who bought it the CVT tranny. Personally I thought the CVT was adequate for a daily driver. Don't let the hp fool you on the 2.5i though. With a manual it'll zip you around quick enough especially with added traction over the one wheel drive system you had in the accord.

rock2534 02-22-2012 12:11 PM

I don't own one, but had a 2.5i with cvt loaner last week. I actually liked driving it....power was good enough and the cvt trans was smooth as can be. I had fun gunning it on the highway. It is not a race car, but no one would expect it to be.

Magic Marker 02-22-2012 12:30 PM

Your Accord will be a bit faster, but don't forget the Legacy has to drive all four wheels, not just two.

That said, the 2.5i is fine for a daily driver and like others have said, the 6speed makes it feel pretty quick. I've driven a CVT and found it adequate. It's not fast nor is it supposed to be or trying to be fast.

Byll 02-22-2012 01:07 PM

I have never thought my 6MT 2.5i was in any way underpowered. I am certainly no boy racer, but I enjoy the quickness, for a car that is the size of the Legacy.
Best.
Byll

Patrickturner 02-22-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 3761428)
Your Accord will be a bit faster, but don't forget the Legacy has to drive all four wheels, not just two.

That said, the 2.5i is fine for a daily driver and like others have said, the 6speed makes it feel pretty quick. I've driven a CVT and found it adequate. It's not fast nor is it supposed to be or trying to be fast.

I have a 2011 2.5i Limited with CVT and it is a fine transmission. There is plent of pick-up. The GT is also nice, actually what i wanted (I cant drive stick... shhhh....) And i am pretty sure the GT takes premium fuel, thats a turn off for me... I think you would be happy with it though... exspecially when you hit your first snow storm ;)

acumenhokie 02-22-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickturner (Post 3761535)
(I cant drive stick... shhhh....)

No reason you can't learn. I spent the first month with my GT learning and trying not to stall it. :lol:

Patrickturner 02-22-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 3761559)
No reason you can't learn. I spent the first month with my GT learning and trying not to stall it. :lol:

LOL I thought about just buying it and then sink or swim... but I felt bad about doing that to a new car :confused:

acumenhokie 02-22-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickturner (Post 3761606)
I felt bad about doing that to a new car :confused:

All the more motivation to get it right sooner rather than later.

BobGee 02-22-2012 02:12 PM

Yes it is underpowered.

I wouldn't try making any quick maneuvers in it.

Patrickturner 02-22-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 3761613)
All the more motivation to get it right sooner rather than later.

I already made the move on the CVT. Maybe the next subie... hmmmm BRZ :lol:

CHUCKmfnNORRIS 02-22-2012 03:33 PM

i have the 2.5i with the 6 speed and it has enough power for me. able to pass people on the highway and good to zip around in. only thing involving power that i would change is to have a little more power at lower rpm's.

TwoTone 02-22-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobGee (Post 3761614)
Yes it is underpowered.

I wouldn't try making any quick maneuvers in it.

Quick or unplanned?

Yea you wont be able to stomp on the throttle to squeeze into that spot at the last second, but it is plenty fast enough for people that leave that kind of driving to the track where it belongs. :rolleyes:

Ready for the torches

BAC5.2 02-22-2012 04:23 PM

I had an 09 2.5i with a 5MT before I got my XT. I've also driven a 5th gen with the CVT and with the 6MT.

N/A Subarus haven't gotten any faster since the early 90's. If you find that kind of performance suitable, then you will be pleased. If you don't, then you will feel that the 2.5i is underpowered. Personally, I was extremely depressed at the performance of my 2.5i. My car did have engine problems, but they were related to drivability and not power. It was pitifully slow, obnoxiously loud, and very boring in general.

Forget passing or rapid merging. You will come to rely on the kindness of strangers while merging on the highway.

I'd consider the 3.6R as "acceptable", with the 2.5GT being the "sporty alternative". I'd consider the 2.5i as a safe, slow car that parents might consider buying for their teenage rookie driver.

My $0.02

awalegacy 02-22-2012 04:38 PM

Yes, it's slow

IMO, unless its a v8 or large 6, power is pointless anyway (other than for fun). If you absolutely needed power for some reason or another, by the time you think about it and downshift (or let the auto trans downshift) it's usually too late. A v8 or very large 6 is the only way to go for real "power" so you can actually move without requiring a downshift.