Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   banjo bolt filter change/inspection interval--how often (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178141)

xt2005bonbon 01-18-2012 04:21 PM

banjo bolt filter change/inspection interval--how often
 
alright. We all know about the infamous banjo bolt filter on the passenger side that can get clogged and kill our turbos (yes we do have another one the driver side behind the timing belt cover, but let's skip this one for now..).
There is a looooooong thread about how to change it. I've used it to do the job on my car.

I felt that it'll be useful to have a thread just addressing how often one should inspect and/or change it. This is assuming one does not want to get rid of it of course.

So here is the question: how often should one do this? I provide a poll that may help people in the future. I hope you'll all vote.

2007 TSB about it: here

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachmen...7&d=1237512742

bluesuby 01-18-2012 04:36 PM

How about never? I change my oil every two months (2500-3000 miles) and use synthetic (which should produce some outrage about how wasteful that is). I'm thinking keep it clean and nothing gets plugged up.

Max Capacity 01-18-2012 04:50 PM

Poll is flawed. You left out "remove it"

That is the only safe thing to do.

xt2005bonbon 01-18-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 3710967)
Poll is flawed. You left out "remove it"

That is the only safe thing to do.

I understand. But that's why I said in my original post that this question is asked assuming one does not want to remove it.

__raj 01-18-2012 05:11 PM

3k oil changer using whatever dino since brand new. Car is running happily with 125k no engine/turbo problems(yet...)

Max Capacity 01-18-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xt2005bonbon (Post 3711005)
I understand. But that's why I said in my original post that this question is asked assuming one does not want to remove it.

I'm saying not removing it is a bad assumption.

Max Capacity 01-18-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __raj (Post 3711012)
3k oil changer using whatever dino since brand new. Car is running happily with 125k no engine/turbo problems(yet...)


I had the same thing until about 142,000 miles and I got the P0011 and P0021 cel. Turbo was toast a few miles later.

xt2005bonbon 01-18-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 3711018)
I'm saying not removing it is a bad assumption.

you're saying "not inspecting it at all" is a bad assumption or "not getting rid of it" is a bad assumption? Sorry, just making sure I understand your point.

HAMMER DOWN 01-18-2012 05:49 PM

I vote every 30k. If you going to leave it in. Other then that, this is what I would do. 1) Check it at 30k, if filter bolts are clean. Remove them, because you oil & filter for your OCI's is doing it'd job. If dirty; 2) Replace filter bolts with new\clean ones. Upgrade to a better oil & filter. Recheck 30k later. repeat 1&2 until the filter bolts are clean, so you can get rid of them.

What I did & why I did it.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=158

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=813

Mike

Wagonation 01-18-2012 06:38 PM

Remove it when you put your uppipe on.

xt2005bonbon 01-19-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER DOWN (Post 3711062)
I vote every 30k. If you going to leave it in. Other then that, this is what I would do. 1) Check it at 30k, if filter bolts are clean. Remove them, because you oil & filter for your OCI's is doing it'd job. If dirty; 2) Replace filter bolts with new\clean ones. Upgrade to a better oil & filter. Recheck 30k later. repeat 1&2 until the filter bolts are clean, so you can get rid of them.

What I did & why I did it.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=158

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=813

Mike


interesting strategy.

Max Capacity 01-19-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xt2005bonbon (Post 3711056)
you're saying "not inspecting it at all" is a bad assumption or "not getting rid of it" is a bad assumption? Sorry, just making sure I understand your point.

I'm saying, remove it at the first chance you have.

I believe I've read here that they were removed by the factory on later models.

xt2005bonbon 01-19-2012 05:11 AM

I think it may be still be present in earlier models, just different location.

mccorry 01-21-2012 09:44 AM

I checked mine at 125K miles when I pulled the motor to do a clutch change. First time it had ever been out.

Nothing in the filter.

You didn't give me an option for longer... so I voted every 60K miles... but I think it should be longer.

xt2005bonbon 01-21-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccorry (Post 3715320)
You didn't give me an option for longer... so I voted every 60K miles... but I think it should be longer.

sorry man. I thought 60K was plenty already. Can no longer change poll options..
I guess I am way paranoid about that thing. changed that filter 10K ago and I am already wanting to check it..


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 PM.


LegacyGT.com