Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Second Generation Legacy (1994 - 1998) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   RalliTek Swaybar Trouble (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177206)

Stang70Fastback 01-04-2012 12:18 PM

RalliTek Swaybar Trouble

So, does anyone have an answer for me? I put my RalliTek swaybars on my car about a month ago, and ever since I was getting a bit of a light clunk from the right rear when going over an undulating road surface. Today, since it's gotten louder, I finally tracked it down to being where the pin goes through the end of the swaybar. The whole in the swaybar simply leaves play, and so the pin thunks back and forth on the hole and makes a solid thunking noise inside the car. Am I missing something? I would think the hole was simply supposed to be the same size as the pin, but it isn't, it's larger (I used all the hardware and the new endlinks that came with the swaybar.) Should there be some sort of additional sleeve on the pin? Or could it be a manufacturing defect? I'm not sure how it's "supposed" to be set up other than compared with what came off my car. In fact, when I first installed it, I just tightened everything really tight, and only learned after it started squeaking that they are supposed to be a bit more than hand tight - so this is all a learning process for me.

lulzcow 01-04-2012 12:55 PM

I had this same problem. It took a bit of research to figure it out. I still have the same problem on my front endlinks and swaybar.
When you tightened the swaybar-endlink connection, the bolt was most likely not perfectly aligned within both the swaybar and the endlink. When you tightened the bolt down, what feels like the tightest you can get it...actually is not so.
When your swaybar works, it moves in that little bit of space left over on the bolt.

To fix this, get back under the car and make sure that the bolt is aligned completely horizontal so that there is no space when you have the nut tightened completely. With no free space, the swaybar cannot move, and will not "clunk" anymore.
It will also stiffen up your swaying a bit.

Stang70Fastback 01-04-2012 01:02 PM

Ahh but you are thinking axially along the length of the bolt. That's not the problem I am having. The swaybar is most definitely tight against the endlink. My issue is that the hole in the swaybar, through which the bolt goes, is actually of a larger diameter than the bolt itself, so the swaybar bangs up and down on the bolt, not on the endlink.

lulzcow 01-04-2012 01:19 PM

Ah.
Should have thoroughly read your problem lulz.
I believe the swaybar bolt hole isn't exactly flush with the bolt on the Whiteline bar neither. But the rear doesn't bang around. Make sure you have your washers and bolt aligned properly. Whiteline's install had the bolt head oriented on the inside of the system, followed by a small washer, the swaybar, endlink, a large washer, and then finally the nut on the outside of system.
I would also double check your mounts and mount bushings.

Frogg 01-04-2012 01:19 PM

what endlinks u using?

Stang70Fastback 01-04-2012 01:21 PM

The endlinks that came with the RalliTek swaybar. They are RalliTek endlinks, bushings, etc... I'm going to run outside now in the 20 degree weather and see if I can prop my phone up and get a quick video of what I am talking about. I just don't know what I could do to remedy it.

bmx045 01-04-2012 01:26 PM

I had this problem twice and I've confirmed, through extensive investigation, that the rear sway bar contacts the lower control arm when the suspension is unloaded. look at the part of the bar right above the control arm and I'm sure you'll see contact marks. Solution to this is get longer endlinks, or adjustable ones. I have adjustable avo endlinks and had to extend them quite a bit to stop the contact.

Stang70Fastback 01-04-2012 01:36 PM

I don't think so. I saw the bolt moving around. Not sure why I'm posting this video, because I couldn't get the phone close enough for you to see, but the upper bolt moves around inside the swaybar. I don't know, bmx045, what car you are referring to, but there is no control arm anywhere near the swaybar on my setup...

bmx045 01-04-2012 01:37 PM

oh, you have a f*cking 98. why am i even in this forum. whoops

Stang70Fastback 01-04-2012 01:38 PM

That's what I figured, lol. But yeah, not sure what to do at this point.

lulzcow 01-04-2012 01:40 PM

You should get a washer between that bolt head and the swaybar.

SpecBamf41 01-04-2012 03:37 PM

try going to the harware store. go to the piping section and finding a pipe or pipes that will fit around that bolt and if you have to drive the sway out a little tiny to make it snug in there. or get a bolt with a slight tapper

colby 05-11-2012 02:31 AM

did you solve this. I am thinking about buying the rear rallitek kit curious what happened

Stang70Fastback 05-14-2012 12:19 PM

Ahh I'm sorry I never answered this thread. I did resolve the issue. I simply spent $2.00 at a hardware store for a new set of carriage bolts, and some additional washers. Also discovered that in my stupidity, I had installed the washers that came with the kit backwards. ALSO for some reason the torque wrench that I had used from AutoZone must have been horribly calibrated, because when I used my friend's torque wrench, they got a lot tighter before it clicked. So it seems more like it was just some stupidity on my part. Everything is fine now other that a bit of squeaking which I mean to fix with some added grease when I get a chance. Couldn't be happier!

broknindarkagain 05-15-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback (Post 3894359)
ALSO for some reason the torque wrench that I had used from AutoZone must have been horribly calibrated

Any torque wrench I've got on loaner from a parts store...or even any one I have ever borrowed from anyone else never gave accurate readings. I got tired of it and eventually just bought an electronic one from Snap On. It was almost $600