Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2010 Legacy GT - Cabin Filter and Engine Filter replacement - How to? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175047)

bradykp 11-27-2011 07:44 AM

2010 Legacy GT - Cabin Filter and Engine Filter replacement - How to?

does anyone know of a thread that posts how-to for cabin and engine filter replacements? I swear I found pictures or a youtube video 2 weeks ago, and now that I bought the filters, I can't find it.

Odlgt 11-27-2011 08:00 AM

Do a search. Cabin filter is behind the glove box. Pinch in the sides and it flops down. To save cash, go buy a home furnace hepa panel filter and cut squares out of it. You get like 5 filters for less than the price of one factory one.

Engine filter is easy. Pop the tabs and pull it out. Insert in the proper orientation and close.

Theres pics on here somewhere for both tho.

O

bradykp 11-27-2011 08:03 AM

thanks - i saw someone recommend the home furnace hepa filter, but after i bought these. oh well.

so i don't need to remove glove box? it just flops down? that should be easy.

where is the engine filter approximately? i figured it was easy, but just wanted to see pics to make sure i go to the rght place. lol

Odlgt 11-27-2011 08:12 AM

Standing at the front of the engine bay, its on your left right up front. You may want to remove the air duct to make the process easier. Its a flat triangular plastic piece. I dont have a pic handy but any shot of the engine bay and youll be able to see it easily. Just be sure you put the filter in in the right orientation. I know a lot of people have had some annoyances with changing out the filter because they had the orientation wrong. Its easy enough to screw up but mess around with it and youll get it right!

Good luck!

O

bradykp 11-27-2011 08:36 AM

ok - cabin filter was easy, though i may have messed up my side body molding by accident.

engine filter, i popped the two metal clips, and it doesn't create a big enough gap to pull the filter out. i guess that's why you said remove the air duct. i think i found a video of someone doing it on an older legacy gt, and they removed the duct. should be basically the same right, because the engine hasn't changed much...

turhan 12-03-2012 08:50 AM

Anyone use a K & N filter on a 2010 LGT? Any other recomendations?

acumenhokie 12-03-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turhan (Post 4184138)

Personally I wouldn't use an aftermarket intake filter unless you're getting a tune to go with it.

redstriker 12-03-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turhan (Post 4184138)

I use it. Go to Stage 1.

3.6rrrrrmatey 12-07-2012 11:48 PM

Subaru wanted to charge me $300 in parts and labor to do this for 35k maintenance.

Did it myself for under $100 and in like 15 minutes.

@#$%@#$%!$#!!!!!!

DugsSin 12-08-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.6rrrrrmatey (Post 4192052)
Subaru wanted to charge me $300 in parts and labor to do this for 35k maintenance.

Did it myself for under $100 and in like 15 minutes.

@#$%@#$%!$#!!!!!!

Knowledge is power/money.

Floodlight 12-12-2012 12:19 PM

Maintenance cost

I have a Legacy GT 2011 and I called the dealer this morning for an oil change. They told me that since my car has reached 35Klm (22K miles) that the tune up will cost $380 without the cabin filter or $440 with cabin filter. That's ludicrous.
Can someone tell me what maintenance need to be done at this stage? I'm mechanically incline and I'm not afraid to get dirty.

acumenhokie 12-12-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodlight (Post 4199558)
I have a Legacy GT 2011 and I called the dealer this morning for an oil change. They told me that since my car has reached 35Klm (22K miles) that the tune up will cost $380 without the cabin filter or $440 with cabin filter. That's ludicrous.
Can someone tell me what maintenance need to be done at this stage? I'm mechanically incline and I'm not afraid to get dirty.

Go by the manufacturers recommendation not the dealer. If you register your car at the Subaru website you'll see two different tabs for service.

22k should just be oil change and tire rotation. I change my cabin air filter every 15k so 22k wouldn't normally be a change time for me. If you haven't done it in 15k or so I'd go ahead and do that too (you can do it yourself in 10 minutes)

Floodlight 12-12-2012 01:14 PM

32K oil change

Thanks acumenhokie. I found another tread that said the same thing. I kind of knew this was steep but you confirmed my suspicion....thx

dew2far 12-12-2012 03:36 PM

Just another vote of confidence in my Primitive plate. We had a major dumping of snow last weekend (12+ inches) and a lack of good snow removal has created streets that resemble a lunar surface. I have run over ice chunks and unplowed sections that would have ripped my OE belly pan to shreds. All I get with the Primitive plate is a loud "Bong!" as it blasts through stuff. Too bad that I probably now need an alignment...thanks MN-DOT.