Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   GI: Brake upgrades for '10+ LGT (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174423)

itsme 11-16-2011 11:44 AM

GI: Brake upgrades for '10+ LGT

I went to SEMA and talked to aftermarket brake manufacturers about getting upgraded parts for '10+ LGT. I wanted to know if there is a market for:

Stainless steel braided front and rear brake lines

Upgraded rotors

If you guys would like these items I can get them made. I'm starting to expand my business to serve the subaru community. I have the only FMIC on the market that keep the factory crash beam for '05-'09 LGTs and '08+ WRX /STIs. I also now make 3.5" thick all aluminum TMIC upgrade for '10 + LGTs and plan to offer more parts like these brake upgrades and even intakes. As a Subaru owner and a member of the community I know how hard it is to find good products at a fair price. Let me know what you think. Bryan

GravityGear 11-16-2011 11:48 AM

sweet. i would love those things. especially the brake lines.

CL21376 11-16-2011 12:01 PM

I would probably be interested in stainless lines, depending on the cost....and hopefully grimmspeed will eventually come out with the master cylinder support brace.

SurlyOldManMN 11-16-2011 12:10 PM

Brake lines yes. I'm not sure on the rotors.

itsme 11-16-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravityGear (Post 3635078)
sweet. i would love those things. especially the brake lines.

That's good because I wanted you to be the official Racer X test car. I hope that's OK with you. I'm going to see what the minimum order I have to do on the lines and the price. I have to buy a set of lines ($90 :() from the dealer and send them out to be made. I will keep you posted. Bryan

acumenhokie 11-16-2011 01:52 PM

I'm interested in brake upgrades but probably not till next fall or winter as Stage II and rims are my next two projects (and then once I'm stage II fast I'll need better stopping).

Blizzard 11-16-2011 04:08 PM

Interested in the lines but you knew that already. Can we make sure they are teflon coated so that those of us that have to drive in salty environments don't have them rust to hell?

itsme 11-16-2011 04:19 PM

Will do. ;-)

lamby 11-16-2011 05:06 PM

interested depending on price

minuccims 11-16-2011 08:01 PM

Itsme -
Appreciate your continued efforts for p this platform. As before, interested in rear SS lines. Have Brembos, and the little oddity with the rear rotors is the 5th gen has the 190mm bigger drum than the 170mm 4th gen/WRX with 5x100 pattern. The only rear rotors available, that I can find are 08+ STI rears. Need to bring them to machine shop to drill 5x100.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL21376 (Post 3635101)
I would probably be interested in stainless lines, depending on the cost....and hopefully grimmspeed will eventually come out with the master cylinder support brace.

I pm'd grimmspeed a few weeks back. The 4th gen brace is close but requires some modification. I did not follow thru on the extent of the mod for DYI.

itsme 11-16-2011 08:32 PM

I'm on it. I even asked about the rear STi brakes drilled to 5x100mm. I'm waiting for a reply now.

minuccims 11-17-2011 05:24 AM

Just to add ... The decision to add the rear Brembos was not for bling but for brake bias.

BBK-only fronts shifts the bias even more forward. I wanted to keep from making the fronts essentially the only contributor under heavy braking.

Spring upgrades and the BBK rears provide brake bias and weight shift control.

I would recommend getting a rear BBK to those getting fronts. Need the springs or coilovers from the start.

shribob 11-17-2011 05:25 AM

Whats the major advantage of SS brake lines? The prevention of swelling on rubber hoses? And potentially a firmer brake pedal?

I only ask because I don't like buying things just to have them, I just want to make sure they serve a need/purpose in my vehicle.

Blizzard 11-17-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shribob (Post 3635983)
Whats the major advantage of SS brake lines? The prevention of swelling on rubber hoses? And potentially a firmer brake pedal?

I only ask because I don't like buying things just to have them, I just want to make sure they serve a need/purpose in my vehicle.

Yes it's a pretty awesome upgrade. One of my favorite upgrades on the faster of my two cars.

GravityGear 11-18-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsme (Post 3635247)
That's good because I wanted you to be the official Racer X test car. I hope that's OK with you. I'm going to see what the minimum order I have to do on the lines and the price. I have to buy a set of lines ($90 :() from the dealer and send them out to be made. I will keep you posted. Bryan

that's fine with me. i will pitch in for the brake line purchase. you need to make a logo so i can cut some vinyl :p.