Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   What viscosity oil is need for CVT (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174296)

lilgrinch 11-14-2011 01:56 PM

What viscosity oil is need for CVT

What viscosity oil is needed to change the CVT fluid on the 2010 Legacy. Where is the drain plug and is there a filter needed.

PoManzAWD 11-14-2011 02:30 PM

I don't know of an aftermarket alternative for Subaru CVT fluid. I've been told this trans is made by Aisin, to Subaru specs if that helps.

10legacy 11-15-2011 05:50 AM

The cvt fluid is lifetime and shouldn't need to be replaced.

PoManzAWD 11-15-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10legacy (Post 3633104)
The cvt fluid is lifetime and shouldn't need to be replaced.

But you can guarantee dealers will push that it be changed at a 60-90K "service".

I know I don't buy "lifetime" when it comes to fluids/lubes. Never have since the "lifetime ATF" craze kicked in in the early 2000's with some makes/models.

I'm not sure where the level check, drain and/or fill plugs are on this CVT, but they're likely not too convenient. I know I've personally dealt with some doozies. ie; The GM 4L30E and GM 4T45E. Neither have a dipstick. Only two low mounted plugs for checking level and filling/draining.

Joel

Kenpachi 11-15-2011 06:29 PM

Drain plug is on bottom of CVT (T70 plug labeled 'diff oil'). Fill through charge pipe. Don't believe there is a dipstick. You pull the overflow drain plug (beside the main drain plug) to determine when full.

There is a filter in the intermediate case. Subaru only recommends changing of lots of metal or debris is present, which usually means you're in for more than just a filter change.

Subaru fluid looks to be 75w90, but probably best to go with a shop recommendation if you don't want to buy the Subaru fluid.

slow03 11-15-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenpachi (Post 3634023)
Drain plug is on bottom of CVT (T70 plug labeled 'diff oil'). Fill through charge pipe. Don't believe there is a dipstick. You pull the overflow drain plug (beside the main drain plug) to determine when full.

There is a filter in the intermediate case. Subaru only recommends changing of lots of metal or debris is present, which usually means you're in for more than just a filter change.

Subaru fluid looks to be 75w90, but probably best to go with a shop recommendation if you don't want to buy the Subaru fluid.

That is for diff/gear oil. Not CVT!
CVTs use a dedicated oil. If you put atf or gear oil, you won't move. The fluid is what generates the friction for the chain/belt to grab.
Most CVTs also require a computer reset because as the fluid deteriorates, the computer needs to compensate for that.
I have worked for both Nissan and Mini. I have serviced my fair share of CVTs.

minuccims 11-15-2011 09:09 PM

Transmission Oil is SUBARU CVT OIL FOR LINEARTRONIC
Oil amount: Approx. 12.5 liters

Front differential oil Oil in use Subaru gear oil Extra S 75W-90 (GL-5)
Oil amount: 1.4 liters

Kenpachi 11-15-2011 09:30 PM

You're right. I initially assumed that the CVT and diff shared fluid, but it definitely does not. Looking further, filling is very similar to a manual transmission. There is one drain plug and one fill plug. No dipstick.

Fill to bottom of fill hole. Warm fluid to 95-113F while cycling through PRND with engine idling to circulate fluid. Add fluid if necessary to maintain fluid level. Replace fill plug (and new gasket) when done.

I see no mention in the service manual of a computer reset or calibration after fluid replacement, but perhaps I'm just missing it.

lilgrinch 11-16-2011 02:48 PM

Thanks for the info.

PoManzAWD 11-17-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenpachi (Post 3634233)
Fill to bottom of fill hole. Warm fluid to 95-113F while cycling through PRND with engine idling to circulate fluid. Add fluid if necessary to maintain fluid level. Replace fill plug (and new gasket) when done.

I see no mention in the service manual of a computer reset or calibration after fluid replacement, but perhaps I'm just missing it.

Is it a top mounted fill plug by chance? Wishful thinking I'd imagine. ;)

I know on the 'dipstickless' ATs I've serviced, the drain and fill/level check plugs are both bottom mounted- essentially like two drains. :mad:

You either have to buy a hand pump and pump your BAWLZ off, or cobble together a system to pressurize your container of ATF (like I have) to push it up into the pan/case.

When I do them, to reduce the chance of 'thermal expansion' of the fluid, I'll drain the old ATF when the vehicle is cold, measure the amount I drained out, then add the exact amount of new room temperature ATF.

Joel