Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Car PC (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172398)

satkye 10-15-2011 11:04 PM

Car PC

Anyone working on or want a car PC? I am talking to somone to get a headunit fabricated to look stock may be easier if we have a few that would be intrested.

musty_hustla 10-16-2011 04:30 PM

depends on the price and if the install is relatively straight forward

Magic Marker 10-16-2011 05:53 PM

Any renderings?

20LEGGY10 10-16-2011 06:56 PM

i am going to hook my old laptop up to my stock nav screen soon hopefully. A couple people told me that it wont work but i have been looking on mp3car and there are a ton of adapters for in car computers. All i need is internet and a cable to run for power so when i shut my car off it shuts my computer down normally, or puts it in standby mode. I still need to see what all the connections look like and how i would hook them up in my car but it cant be too hard.

satkye 10-16-2011 07:26 PM

They are supposed to get back to me next week. I will here back from them. Its actillu mp3car that I am talking to. They made one for the past gen. They may be able to something for this one. The are talking to the fabrication people.

BobGee 10-16-2011 09:58 PM

A headunit fabricated to look stock? what kind of BS is that?

You can get screens designed to mount in a doubledin spot.

You are 100% better off NOT trying to squeeze a computer in a headunit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20LEGGY10 (Post 3595447)
i am going to hook my old laptop up to my stock nav screen soon hopefully. A couple people told me that it wont work but i have been looking on mp3car and there are a ton of adapters for in car computers. All i need is internet and a cable to run for power so when i shut my car off it shuts my computer down normally, or puts it in standby mode. I still need to see what all the connections look like and how i would hook them up in my car but it cant be too hard.

Keep dreaming. :lol:

satkye 10-16-2011 10:22 PM

And all the dins I have seen people install look off set and crappy.

satkye 10-17-2011 09:39 AM

What is the difference between me doing a car pc or a nav. I am going to go with nothing. I have set these up before.

20LEGGY10 10-17-2011 09:49 AM

Not dreaming at all... I go to school for computers im pretty sure i can figure out how to do it. Im not going to back out because people tell me it cant be done, that just means that i can laugh when i prove them wrong. But i do appreciate your positive attitude BobGee... its people like you that encourage people like me to come up with more than half the technology out there. Nothing is impossible, just have to figure out how to do it. And im sure your gonna come back at me with some sly remark and more negativity but its expected...then the thread will go on for a little while with you bitching about everything you can think of and then someone will bring it back on topic and all will be right with the world ;)

InlandSurf 10-17-2011 05:16 PM

Interested...let me know what they come back with. I have been toying with the idea of trying something as well.

I was thinking of mouting PC in the trunk, in the spare tire storage area. It's the screen and mounting I am worried about, as well as the steering whell controls.

shribob 10-17-2011 06:35 PM

I would definitely love to see a completed carpc. I am a failure when it comes to electrical work, so that's why I opted out for the factory nav.

satkye 10-17-2011 07:50 PM

They said something will be up by the end of the week.

Nacron 10-17-2011 11:00 PM

Only issue with hooking up your pc to your nav screen is that you won't have touch screen and you'd have to use a trackpad for input. I was thinking about building one for my impreza but the cost was too much...cheaper to just get a double din dvd player.

10legacy 10-18-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacron (Post 3597148)
Only issue with hooking up your pc to your nav screen is that you won't have touch screen and you'd have to use a trackpad for input. I was thinking about building one for my impreza but the cost was too much...cheaper to just get a double din dvd player.

They make stick on touchscreen pads that allow you to turn anyscreen into a touchscreen, I think the problem would be finding one of these in the correct size.

nemo 10-18-2011 06:55 AM

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-pc-52252.html