Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Elephant noise under my hood! Seriously. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171295)

Swansack 09-30-2011 03:51 PM

Terrible noise when throttle > 20 degrees

2 Attachment(s)
Check post #10 for update.

-----------------------------------------------------

I was logging earlier today when I heard a strange noise at redline (6502 rpm) very quickly right as I was letting off of the gas. I didn't think much of it and turned around for another run and heard it again when I got on the throttle. I couldn't open the throttle more than 20 degrees before I heard it again, but only when I was in gear (no noise when revving in neutral).

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I can only describe the noise as someone pinching the nozzle of a balloon and letting the air out or like an elephant trumpeting (seriously, the best description I've got).

I've attached two logs: the first one is the run when I initially heard the noise (at 6502 rpm) and the very next attempt when I heard the dreadful sound again around 3100 rpm.

I fear that its a blown turbo, but none of the descriptions I've read match up with the sound. Please help!

iNVAR 09-30-2011 08:45 PM

Your logs show you letting off the throttle at those RPMs. Is it because you heard the noise and THEN you let off the throttle, or did the noise happen AFTER you let off the throttle?

edit: I guess you were letting off the throttle at 6500 and then heard the noise, and now, ever since then, you hear the noise while you're still on the throttle? Hmm..

j255c 09-30-2011 09:35 PM

throttle body to intercooler hose is lose or off. Elephant sound is how i described it when it happened to me 5 years ago.

GTTuner 10-01-2011 06:21 AM

Or a leaking intercooler, and dont rule out a leaking BOV. Those will usually squeal.

sabotaged 10-01-2011 06:52 PM

hmm, something similar started happening to my car the other day. it does kind of sound like an elephant. what needs to come off to check it? just the intercooler?

Spec B 10-02-2011 07:56 AM

Or it could be your IC to turbo connection leaking...

Swansack 10-02-2011 07:30 PM

Throttle body hose popped off, easy fix. Big relief. Thanks for all your input!

doccrowley 10-02-2011 08:26 PM

Lucky catch!

Hope there's no repurcussions from loose TB connection!

doccrowley 10-02-2011 08:29 PM

nice catch, disaster avoided.

Lucky catch, hope there's no repurcussions!

Swansack 10-07-2011 07:16 PM

The stock throttle body hose sucks. Big time.

I was impatient and wanted a new hose ASAP, so I bought a brand new stock one from the local dealership to replace my used one with 100,000+ miles on it and 5,000+ miles at stage 2. After replacing it, IT HAPPENED AGAIN. With a brand new hose. WTF? Why would this happen again to new hose right after it was installed? It cant simply be due to running more boost than stock cause its been fine for 5,000+ miles. Any thoughts?

sabotaged 10-07-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swansack (Post 3582885)
The stock throttle body hose sucks. Big time.

I was impatient and wanted a new hose ASAP, so I bought a brand new stock one from the local dealership to replace my used one with 100,000+ miles on it and 5,000+ miles at stage 2. After replacing it, IT HAPPENED AGAIN. With a brand new hose. WTF? Why would this happen again to new hose right after it was installed? It cant simply be due to running more boost than stock cause its been fine for 5,000+ miles. Any thoughts?

must be the worm clamps? i'm struggling to get all my crap back on after trying to fix this. i cant help but think it's just going to happen again as soon as i put it all together. do i really have to shell out for an overpriced avo hose? or maybe just some new clamps and my stock hose

Swansack 10-07-2011 10:23 PM

No, it came with new clamps. And the avo isn't overpriced compared to oem ($90!!!!). I was impatient and I'm definitely paying for it.

Swansack 10-09-2011 01:58 PM

So I replaced the clamps and it seems to be holding up. I used some wider t-bolt clamps from napa:

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images.../5312k13p1.gif

Still one problem though. After installing throttle body hose (with pink dot facing upwards on throttle body side) and the intercooler, I have to pull the intercooler pretty hard to the passenger side to bolt it to the turbo. This is putting a lot of torque on the throttle body hose and I can see that it wants to slide off on the throttle body side. The clamps are tight enough to keep it on, but its concerning that it doesn't fight just right.

Any thoughts? Did I install the hose the wrong way?

iNVAR 10-09-2011 02:04 PM

Nope, mine's like that too. I didn't like the amount of torque on that side so I ended up loosening that clamp a tiny bit to allow some movement. There's less of the hose actually on the TMIC but I think it's still plenty to make a good and tight connection that won't slip off.

Swansack 10-09-2011 02:39 PM

Thanks for the input, I'll do the same. Hopefully this is a permanent fix.