Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Gauging Interest: DIY 5EAT built rebuild kits (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170503)

ClimberD@HexMods 09-20-2011 11:11 AM

Gauging Interest: DIY 5EAT built rebuild kits

Gauging Interest: Hexagram Modiciations 5EAT Race Clutch Packs.

So it looks like I'm going to be getting into the transmission rebuild business, as a lot of my customers are trying to figure out what to eventually do, as NO automatic transmission can last forever.

I've arrived at the idea of selling the 3 main clutch pack drums in bolt-on format. They would be machined to hold more steels and frictions than stock, and would be precisely toleranced (the most important thing). They would arrive at your door still wet with fresh pre-soak ATF.

1) Unbolt and remove the transmission from the car yourself (saving you a huge heap of money), or have your mechanic / shop remove it.
2) Unbolt and remove front differential housing from main transmission case.
3) Pull off front main transmission case plate. From there, ALL the main 5EAT clutch pack drums can be pulled right out.
4) Place the new prepared / "built" drums in your case in reverse order. They literally stack one on top of the other.
5) Confirm the transmission lid tolerance, then bolt it back on and reverse order reinstall.
6) Add back ATF and Diff fluid.
7) Enjoy.

Of course it's more complicated than that, but this is the best--and only--way I have found that solves the major problem almost every rebuild come-back is due to: clutch pack tolerances.

This could save the DIY'er thousands of dollars, and the clutch packs would be a superior product to stock (for those modified engine folks who like the idea of more layers of clutch pack).

The key to this would be the installer having an accute attention to detail, as all instructions would be included, and would need to be followed to the letter. Trust me, you do NOT want to cowboy this kind of work.

That said, this is a new opportunity, and I would like to see who would be interested in doing this.

(No this is not going to distract from the 08 VB development). It would be a parallel, as a VB is no use without good clutch packs, and many have expressed concern (05-09) that their 5EATs are closer to the end than the beginning. And vise versa, clutch packs are useless without a proper valve body to clamp them tight.

EDIT: ACME Penultimate and Pinnacle 5EAT Rebuild Kits now will this need. Please PM me or KoukiS14 for details.

xero287 09-21-2011 11:38 AM

Plus one.

blongo804 09-21-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClimberD@HexMods (Post 3556399)
It would be a parallel, as a VB is no use without good clutch packs, and many have expressed concern (05-09) that their 5EATs are closer to the end than the beginning. And vise versa, clutch packs are useless without a proper valve body to clamp them tight.

This is me. LOL. ~150k on the baby!

So if we got this rebuild kit and your VB, it would basically make my trans like new? Not sure if you remember, but we've talked about my trans before via PM, and my 3-4 gear isn't doing too good. So will your rebuild kit fix that or only clutch packs?

ClimberD@HexMods 09-21-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blongo804 (Post 3558141)
This is me. LOL. ~150k on the baby!

So if we got this rebuild kit and your VB, it would basically make my trans like new? Not sure if you remember, but we've talked about my trans before via PM, and my 3-4 gear isn't doing too good. So will your rebuild kit fix that or only clutch packs?

1) Pretty much, yes.
2) Your issue IS a clutch pack, which would be replaced/upgraded with this proposed kit.

In summary, this is designed with you as a target customer.

All these threads make me realize I need to write up a basic summary of how the 5eat works. But that would take hours I don't have... but will have later on.

TRSCobra 09-21-2011 04:31 PM

ClimberD, you're starting to make me wish I bought a 5eat LGT...

Mill 09-21-2011 11:17 PM

I'd be in for it.

ClimberD@HexMods 09-22-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRSCobra (Post 3558525)
ClimberD, you're starting to make me wish I bought a 5eat LGT...

You have no idea how long I resented my AT :( But now it's looking to be the opposite, dumb luck :)

300zx2g35 09-22-2011 01:47 PM

Count me in.

06gtleg 09-22-2011 03:31 PM

I voted no because im going with a 6 speed.

Muahaha

legacy360 09-22-2011 09:57 PM

This would be amazing

OGHK87Jay 09-23-2011 06:13 AM

I'm in but 1000 is a tad steep for a poor college student if you actually get this going is there a possibility of price drop?

ClimberD@HexMods 09-23-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGHK87Jay (Post 3560494)
I'm in but 1000 is a tad steep for a poor college student if you actually get this going is there a possibility of price drop?

I have no idea what price would be, nor will I until I make a pre-production set.

lieutenantcolumbo 09-23-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClimberD@HexMods (Post 3560805)
I have no idea what price would be, nor will I until I make a pre-production set.

Just throwing this out there, but the IPT Rebuild Kit is $829 so potential buyers would have to be educated as to the benefits of your product vs. theirs.

We already know your valve body modification is in a totally different league than IPT's, so I am confident your rebuild kit will be another huge bargain as well.

ClimberD@HexMods 09-23-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lieutenantcolumbo (Post 3560871)
Just throwing this out there, but the IPT Rebuild Kit is $829 so potential buyers would have to be educated as to the benefits of your product vs. theirs.

We already know your valve body modification is in a totally different league than IPT's, so I am confident your rebuild kit will be another huge bargain as well.

Good idea.
Their rebuild kit is like any other rebuild kit, except has more layers, and costs quite a lot. You would need to open up the clutch pack drums and make sure your tolerances are spot on. You would also need a lathe to precisely machine your drum pistons, if I'm reading theirs right.
What I'm proposing here is totally different, that you don't need a feeler gauge or a lathe or to pack your own drums. You literally open up the front of the transmission, pull out the old drums, place in the new drums, and done. Race build without a race shop to build it for you. There's more to it that that, but so far just testing the waters.

Autoevo 09-23-2011 02:26 PM

Having been an R&R tech for a tranny shop, this sounds like a great idea. and not a bad proposed price. Not that i need to rebuild mine but to know that this was waiting for me when things get sloppy.