Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Paddle Shifters : Do You Like Them? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167439)

Almatti 08-03-2011 09:33 PM

Paddle Shifters : Do You Like Them?

This is the first car that has paddle shifters: 2010 2.5iPrem. Legacy. I don't drive the car to frequently ( I have to "steal" it from my son), but I like that they are there. I use them sometimes either in D mode or in Manual mode, when I'm felling frisky..I do ike the way they perform while in D mode, use them and within seconds depending on the driving scenario, the tranny switches back to D mode. Seems to give greater degree of control even with a CVT tranny.

PS: I'm thinking of dding them to my 2010 G37X which has a 7 speed AT that is a PIA... Too jerky, too much gear hunting, and many times too Hesitant. Also on given days under certain driving conditions due to the Adaptive Driver Control module in the ECU, hard downshifts and poor Stop and Go response with harsh downshifts and coasting to a stop issues. Newer is not Always Better.....My 07 G35X with a 5speed AT was much more responsive and less quirky..

Magic Marker 08-03-2011 09:39 PM

I barely use them in full manual mode, but it's nice to have when you need a quick downshift.

sschmelcke 08-03-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 3495939)
I barely use them in full manual mode, but it's nice to have when you need a quick downshift.

agreed. I use them for engine breaking. Thats about all.

RailKill 08-03-2011 10:22 PM

I have a manual but the many loaner cars I had were all automatics. I wasn't a big fan of the way they felt. Upshifting felt like it took too long to catch the gear. Maybe I'm just used to a manual. But I do see how it would be beneficial in downshifting.

foxrider68 08-03-2011 11:22 PM

I use them for down shifting down a hill everyday. For that function their fantastic. Sometimes I get to play with a couple corners so I like them for holding the rpms where I want them. Nothing special for a normal auto but for a CVT they are an excellent bonus.

awdG35killer 08-04-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxrider68 (Post 3496063)
I use them for down shifting down a hill everyday. For that function their fantastic. Sometimes I get to play with a couple corners so I like them for holding the rpms where I want them. Nothing special for a normal auto but for a CVT they are an excellent bonus.

Ditto. Also helped on climbing mtn roads.

Nacron 08-04-2011 03:40 AM

It would have been better if the shifters were on the steering column instead of the steering wheel.

dubbwah 08-04-2011 04:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use my paddles on my GT wagon on this stretch everytime....gee's its fun:lol:
its about 25 km long and narrow, heaps of turns, great fun when its dry, but always play it safe no matter what the conditions.

schwinghammer 08-04-2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sschmelcke (Post 3495951)
agreed. I use them for engine breaking. Thats about all.

:whore:

I'll occasionally go into Manual, but i always switch back pretty soon after.

Peaty 08-04-2011 08:20 AM

I struggled with getting an automatic car, I haven't had one in years. I tried to like the paddles but they are more of a gimmick for me. I'll mess with them once in a while, mostly for down shifting like the others have been saying. Automatics have gotten much better over the years though. My wife's car has the sport shift option, where you flick the shift lever up or down, I have to say the Paddle shifters are a better way to go than that.

bluecoupe 08-04-2011 09:45 AM

They're there but I haven't really used them... but like others have said just for downshifting

IDRVSLO 08-04-2011 09:54 AM

I would like to have them, I hate the buttons on my steering wheel. This has become even more hatred since I got my VB mod. The G37/350z guys rock paddle shifters and trans-go kits all day long and love it!

seiyafan 08-04-2011 10:00 AM

I have noticed that by pressing the upshift I can hold 5th gear to about 37 mph.

SurlyOldManMN 08-04-2011 03:33 PM

Haven't driven a car with paddles that I liked yet, including the 3.6R. Maybe I should try one of those nutty dual clutch GTI's.

ChasWG 08-04-2011 04:50 PM

I mostly drive my car in D mode, but living in Colorado with the Rockies, I love having the option to go into M mode and holding the gear that I want for decents. And the car seems a bit more responsive when in M mode. If I'm feeling frisky I'll nail it in M and let the gearbox make that first shift from 1st to 2nd and then I take it from there. The car jumps a bit harder that way.

Otherwise I'm usually in D and cruising along. I forget to shift sometimes in M mode. Gotten lazy I guess. I used to only have manual tranny cars for a long time. Maybe I'm also turning into my dad. Hmmmmmm...

I like my Paddle Shifters!