Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   $2,500 to spend recommendations for Spec.B (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167225)

Spec.B_8 08-01-2011 03:45 AM

$2,500 to spend recommendations for Spec.B

I have around $2,500.00 to put into my stock 07’ Spec.B :) and I’m looking for suggestions...

Car Use and what I’m looking for:
My car is a DD and I was use to a stage 2 STI. I travel the canyons a lot so suspension is first priority for me!

Next I want some power, my STI was right around 300whp and I miss that. Don’t need crazy HP numbers just close to 300whp. I still want decent gas mileage when I’m not into the throttle.

Here’s what I’m already planning on:

Suspension:
  • Hotkis F/R Sway Bar kit from infamous
  • Kartboy endlinks F/R (had on STI awesome links!)
  • AVO RSB mounts
Engine/Exhaust:
  • Invidia Catless DP (stock mid and CB)
  • 3” DP to stock adapter
  • Heatwrap for DP
  • Tune from Boost Creep (Will this put me close enough to 300whp, with moderate tune????? Or No)
Debating on: :confused:
  • Will up pipe cause problems with emissions? I know the DP will but willing to swap to stock when time for emissions.
  • I’m looking to get better ride quality from aftermarket springs as well but don’t want a much more then a .5” drop rear .75” front. Haven’t been able to find springs like this so far….
  • Was looking at CAI but after researching don’t feel it’s necessary for the power range I’m looking for.
  • Would a small turbo upgrade and top mount be possible/worth it????
Thanks for any suggestions!

bmx045 08-01-2011 08:36 AM

You'll be hard pressed to get 300whp out of the stock turbo, you may get like 250-60whp. My suggestion is to get a dp and a tune and see how you like it first

mr.hicksta 08-01-2011 08:36 AM

I have the Kartboy endlinks on Whiteline sway bars and they are nice! Here's what I would recommend:

- CNT Downpipe: save yourself a couple hundred dollars (hit up m sprank for great prices)
- Grimmspeed 3" DP adapter
- Infamous eTune
- Rallitek Springs: probably the most conservative drop you'll find
- Turbo: BNR EVO 16G if you're looking to do a 'small' upgrade

You shouldn't have any emissions issues with an aftermarket UP, but as you already mentioned you likely will with a catless DP.

Hope this helps :)

W1CKED 08-01-2011 08:37 AM

Coilovers, D/P, Tune.

/thread

sumfoo1 08-01-2011 10:01 AM

Dp, tune, IC, Springs/dampers or coil overs.

can you do the labor yourself? if so you'll still have money on the table.

300whp will require e85 or a new turbo

CTATV 08-01-2011 10:25 AM

you can do a set of BC coilovers for 1000 bucks and leave your stock sways/endlinks. Invest in a set of Perrin spherical Lower Control Arm Bushings as well. then as wicked said, get a down pipe and get it tuned by a reputable tuner

LGT For ME 08-01-2011 07:40 PM

Boost Creep is great for dyno tunes but if you want you can save some $ by getting a road tune from Eric at Torqued Performance and use the $300 or so of savings for more mods. He's tuned my car and I recommend him. You can get away with e85 in CO on stock injectors, if you want I can give you a ride in my stock turbo stg2 e85 LGT for comparisons.

Spec.B_8 08-01-2011 10:05 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the info! I can do most of the labor myself, with my friend or my brother both are good mechanics. I always throw them a few bucks too but mostly like them to coach while I wrench, so I can learn more! So yes the whole $2,500 can go to parts!

What are thoughts on the up pipe?? Would it make a noteable difference in HP numbers and does the stock up pipe have a cat...?

Spec.B_8 08-01-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGT For ME (Post 3492591)
Boost Creep is great for dyno tunes but if you want you can save some $ by getting a road tune from Eric at Torqued Performance and use the $300 or so of savings for more mods. He's tuned my car and I recommend him. You can get away with e85 in CO on stock injectors, if you want I can give you a ride in my stock turbo stg2 e85 LGT for comparisons.

Eric is Boost Creeps mechanic with the fast as hell outback right...? How much does Eric charge for the "road"/open source tune? Wow E85 on stock injectors...how long have you been running E85?

A ride would be great depending on schedules and where you live, just send me a PM. Thanks!

Strizzy 08-01-2011 11:26 PM

07+ UP is catless. As stated, Go with a CNT catless DP and good tune. You can get some good springs and that would pair nicely with f/r sways. Try that out for a bit then go from there.

Spec.B_8 08-01-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hicksta13 (Post 3491441)
I have the Kartboy endlinks on Whiteline sway bars and they are nice! Here's what I would recommend:

- CNT Downpipe: save yourself a couple hundred dollars (hit up m sprank for great prices)
- Grimmspeed 3" DP adapter
- Infamous eTune
- Rallitek Springs: probably the most conservative drop you'll find
- Turbo: BNR EVO 16G if you're looking to do a 'small' upgrade

You shouldn't have any emissions issues with an aftermarket UP, but as you already mentioned you likely will with a catless DP.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the info!

Looked on Ralliteks site and can't find springs for my ride any where… any other suggestions? I was also looking the the Tein H-Tech’s any thoughts on these? Sites say the drop is .09” F/R I’m assuming it would be more though especially when they settle in…

Lucid 08-01-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spec.B_8 (Post 3492801)
Eric is Boost Creeps mechanic with the fast as hell outback right...?

Guy with the fast as hell Outback: http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgall...?do=view&g=313

Spec.B_8 08-02-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucid (Post 3492882)

Yep that's the one I rode in a couple weeks ago. The spool on his turbo is rediculious once the boost hits it just keeps on going, virtually no lag once it starts it doesn't stop. He went well over red line and it just wanted to keep going:cool:! Tricky set up though. I wish I had funds to do that to my car....

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with mine! and I only have $2,500ish.:lol:

brawline 08-02-2011 11:54 AM

im running swift springs and hotkis sways kb endlinks and brackets def love my set up. im now leaning towards coilovers as i want to run a larger tire.
But i would recommend those sways and springs.

sumfoo1 08-02-2011 12:02 PM

save money for a good alignment...

i would think about doing a hta68 while you're at it to make sure you can hit the 300hp you're looking for (which is pretty much the dead end on stock pump and injectors so keep that in mind too)