Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   North Central (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Looking for someone local for a second opinion... (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166003)

Strizzy 07-15-2011 02:32 PM

Looking for someone local for a second opinion...

I recently got my new (3rd) turbo installed and was having the same issues as I was with the previous two, with burning oil like there is no tomorrow.
At first it was thought the seals in the turbo went bad, but with the second and third, I had the same issues with oil spitting out of the outlet and into my intercooler. So the turbo isn't the issue. Smoke would pour out of my exhaust during startup for about 2-3 minutes, then seem fine, except for the smell of oil burning when at a stop. I would go through about a quart of oil in 50 miles.
I get around to installing my catch can to see if that would help at all, and it does. Except for the fact that it completely fills up in about 30 miles if I'm boosting. I left the hose from the inlet to the PCV as it was, and I'm running the line from both heads to the catch can, then back to the inlet.
I'm at a loss as what the problem can be. I'm hoping to get a compression/leakdown test tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone would be able to go over my setup and see if something is out of place. Any help towards the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve

Note: I'm in the Lemont/Bolingbrook/Downers Grove/Darien/Woodridge/Naperville area

WhiskeyTango 07-15-2011 02:35 PM

Who did the turbo installs?

Where did you get the turbos? New/used

What kind of turbos?

Whats the tune/ setup?

Strizzy 07-15-2011 02:54 PM

All turbos were brand new.
First two were Tomioka Racing TD06-20Gs. Current is a Tomei ARMS 7960.
My setup includes:
Tomei EL headers/UP
Catless DP
Tomei 252 cams
ID 1000cc injectors
KStech 73mm intake
AVO FMIC
Malhe forged pistons
STI nitrated crank and rods
AEM map sensor
HOA 3 port EBCS
Forge Recirc BPV

Original tune with the TR turbo was for 24psi tapering to 22 at 7k RPMs
My current tune is a 18psi safe tune until I figure out my issue.

WhiskeyTango 07-15-2011 03:04 PM

So you have a hot mess on your hands....

PM rao or bring it to the city and we can take a look.

rao 07-15-2011 03:47 PM

I would be happy to check it out. PM or e-mail me.

trackhore 07-15-2011 06:07 PM

Just thinking out loud, but is there an oil restrictor in the OEM line to the turbo? If so, was that removed or replaced? I've seen similar oil results as yours on Z cars with newer BB turbos that require oil restrictors. New oil feed lines were installed that did not contain restrictors and the turbo's puked oil out both sides.

rao 07-15-2011 06:15 PM

That would be my first guess.

Strizzy 07-15-2011 06:30 PM

Restrictor was removed, per instructions for both turbos.
Oil was only puking out the one side of the turbo because oil was being fed back in through the inlet. Oil no longer comes from the turbo.
Also, the TR and Tomei turbos I have are journal bearing.

rao 07-15-2011 06:40 PM

Interesting. We will have a look tomorrow.

lieutenantcolumbo 07-15-2011 06:53 PM

Wow you've had way more than your share of problems after that rebuild. Hope you can get it sorted out once and for all and get some enjoyment out of it.

Strizzy 07-15-2011 07:12 PM

Yeah, it's been a bit of a nightmare. Part of me wants to sell it and be done with it, but I have a good chunk of money "invested" into that I would never see back from the sale. And I could never part with my suspension setup that I love, and the comfy leather/alcantera seats, and my DAMD D shape steering wheel. I just need to find (or custom make) a pair of more subtle sounding mufflers, and it would be complete... Once the oil issue is figured out and fixed.

Strizzy 07-16-2011 05:44 PM

Thank you, Rao, for your time today. I really appreciated the help even though our findings led to a dead end. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the air pump being removed, since that is basically the only thing that really changed with the FMIC install, and is when I first noticed my issue.

WhiskeyTango 07-18-2011 09:03 AM

need an update....

rao 07-18-2011 09:07 AM

There is positive pressure at both valve covers, which is causing the oil to be blown out and a rapid rate.

With luck, the problem can be found and it will be simple.

WhiskeyTango 07-18-2011 09:08 AM

burn it for the insurance $!