Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intake and Exhaust (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Best way to get some noise (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164405)

tbperry 06-19-2011 06:01 PM

Best way to get some noise

Alright so I have read around the forums and even searched and found a few things, but none of them really answer my question. I want to make my car sound good, I don't want a ricey noise, and i don't want it to be super loud either. I want a good rumble, not to loud, not to quiet. SO, the question is, what do I do? I read somewhere that replacing the midpipe would make a good difference, since that is where the resonator is. I've also heard go with a catback, I have also heard just an axel back. So, what do I do? I don't have huge amounts of $$$ to spend on it either. ANY info is awesome thanks.

subiedad51 06-19-2011 06:20 PM

Search Hogzaust. Seriously :) You can also search for Exhaust compilation. That thread has a ton of audio clips on it.

LosAngelesLGT 06-19-2011 06:37 PM

Search > Hogzaust

/thread

Not a slam. Instant noise. Practically zero investment.

BoozeRS05 06-19-2011 06:39 PM

He said 'not' ricey, guys..

doobaruGT 06-19-2011 06:57 PM

^ agreed...I'm running a few different parts together...invidia catless up, Perrin DP, Cobb Mid-Y, and some prodrives to finish it off.....and it sounds freakin awesome...mostly bc of the prodrives though. It's not loud at all but very rich in boxer sound. I was looking for the same thing you are now. Like the other fellas said, just do some research, there are a ton of vid clips. You'll get different inputs from everyone naturally. GL with the quest!

subiedad51 06-19-2011 07:02 PM

Full Disclosure - I would never induce an exhaust leak for noise :) I'm running a full Perrin Turboback. It's got a great sound but definitely isn't subtle.

iNVAR 06-19-2011 07:08 PM

Get your DP and UP replaced if you haven't done so already, and get a tune. Don't replace anything from the catback because it'll be loud. From my understanding, simply replacing the DP will increase noise and deepen the growl and unleash some of the rumble.

You will also get a huge performance boost from stock. Best money spent IMHO.

BoozeRS05 06-20-2011 05:18 AM

I had an STi up and magnaflow catback on my stg1 LGT and I got more compliments on the sound of my car then anything.

tbperry 06-20-2011 07:00 AM

Yeah I know I can find sound clips, but I just needed to know what to replace mostly. If the DP will give me more noise then that's where I'll start. I will most likely keep adding on, but I just want something for now, while I'm saving for the rest.

subiedad51 06-20-2011 07:14 AM

The DP will give you more power (with a tune) but I really didn't notice much in the way sound. The biggest difference for sound IMO is the axelback. I ran a Perrin Catted DP and Perrin Mid/Y with stock cans and barely noticed anything over stock noise wise. When I add the cans there was a huge difference.

tbperry 06-20-2011 01:12 PM

That was my original plan, was an axelback. But after seeing the endless amount of options, I decided to consult with you guys and see what you thought. I will have to listen to some clips to pick out which one I like.

iNVAR 06-20-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subiedad51 (Post 3436250)
The DP will give you more power (with a tune) but I really didn't notice much in the way sound. The biggest difference for sound IMO is the axelback. I ran a Perrin Catted DP and Perrin Mid/Y with stock cans and barely noticed anything over stock noise wise. When I add the cans there was a huge difference.

Really? Hrm, I could've sworn I read somewhere here that the DP lowers the tone of the exhaust and makes it mildly louder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbperry (Post 3436757)
That was my original plan, was an axelback. But after seeing the endless amount of options, I decided to consult with you guys and see what you thought. I will have to listen to some clips to pick out which one I like.

Up to you. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. If I had to pick between a catback, or a DP+UP+tune, I'd pick the DP+UP+tune.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=83
Quote:

Grimmspeed crossover pipe
GS Ported and polished exhaust manifold
GS UP
COBB catted DP
AVO TMIC
AVO panel filter (intake silencer removed)
Stock CBE
I don't think the exhaust manifold affects the sound much, so for the most part that's what your car would sound like with a DP.

iNVAR 06-20-2011 02:49 PM

Here you go, came across this thread. Guy searching for exactly what you are.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ei-143432.html

LosAngelesLGT 06-20-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoozeRS05 (Post 3435793)
He said 'not' ricey, guys..

:trolls:

subiedad51 06-20-2011 05:40 PM

Invar - it's possible but honestly I really didn't hear much of a difference with the DP and mid/y. Could have been I was expecting more but for me and my car I really didn't notice until I put the cans on.