Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Legacy Photos (2010 - 2014) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   New Subaru Blue Oil Filters made By Honeywell (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162006)

norge2000 05-13-2011 11:04 AM

New Subaru Blue Oil Filters made By Honeywell

Just found out that Subaru is having Honeywell, the owner of FRAM, manufacture all the new Blue Subaru oil filters.:eek: From what I have read about FRAM oil filters seems to be a bad idea to use. SO I will look at Purolator Pure One or WIX/NAPA filters.

aigochamaloh 05-13-2011 11:14 AM

This is old news. I've been using them ever since the switch and they're fine, according to my used oil reports. FWIW, Honda blue filters are made by Honeywell in Canada as well.

Blizzard 05-16-2011 08:42 AM

Yeah this is old news as stated above. Gotta love cardboard!

http://webfors.com/of_pics/of_pic%20056%20(Large).jpg

ebo03 05-16-2011 12:14 PM

Luckily I still have about 10 of the old black filters in my garage.

norge2000 05-17-2011 01:58 PM

What filter(s) brands would any of you suggest using in place of the new Subaru filters?

blklgt05 05-17-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norge2000 (Post 3394238)
What filter(s) brands would any of you suggest using in place of the new Subaru filters?

Purolator's PureOne, read HERE for comparison tests I got from bobistheoilguy.com forums.

DN1911 05-17-2011 02:46 PM

also, 2009 Mazda RX-9 filters are made by the same japanese company that made the old black filter for subaru. i read somewhere that it fits and is a little deeper filter for more capacity

blklgt05 05-17-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DN1911 (Post 3394309)
also, 2009 Mazda RX-9 filters are made by the same japanese company that made the old black filter for subaru. i read somewhere that it fits and is a little deeper filter for more capacity

Purolator made those black filters for subaru at one time as well. After spending a long time researching for the best oil filter, I ended up with PureOnes. Many people swear by it on BITOG forums, there were also a ton of comparison tests against all the filters you can get at your local auto stores. The P1 has a very dense filtration medium, as well as a high flow rate. Its overall design is top quality. You can get them at a pepboys for about $5.24ish. Use it with Rotella T6 5w-40 and you are good to go!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...0LGT/photo.jpg

Tomkat1127 05-17-2011 06:21 PM

Been using Pureone's for about 10 years now. They used to a nice blue color that matched my truck. I hate the no-slip grip crap, makes them stick in my filter cup wrench. Overall, if I can't get a Pureone, I go with Wix and lastly a M1.

As for the Rotella oil, ran that in a 2.0L gas VW that burned oil. Still, concerned it's a fuel economy diesel oil and formulated as such (I know it has a gas rating too!). Might switch once bumper-to-bumper warranty is up.

blklgt05 05-17-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat1127 (Post 3394528)
Been using Pureone's for about 10 years now. They used to a nice blue color that matched my truck. I hate the no-slip grip crap, makes them stick in my filter cup wrench. Overall, if I can't get a Pureone, I go with Wix and lastly a M1.

As for the Rotella oil, ran that in a 2.0L gas VW that burned oil. Still, concerned it's a fuel economy diesel oil and formulated as such (I know it has a gas rating too!). Might switch once bumper-to-bumper warranty is up.

I've read enough UOA of Rotella T6 5w-40 ran in our boxer motors and they all have shown great and better results than other more expensive syn oil. The only one thats comparable would be the german castrol 0w-30, but its not as available like the T6 are. About the PureOne, I actually like the yellow non-slip grip. :)

CL21376 05-18-2011 04:59 AM

I guess I'll have to check those PureOne filters. I've been using the K&N filters for years because I like the built in nut.

BAC5.2 05-18-2011 05:27 AM

I've been using generic filters for the past 41k. My UOA showed zero wear.

lgtftw 05-18-2011 05:37 AM

I've been using the new filter with no problems whats so ever. I figure Subaru would have the money to spend on research and the engineers that design these engines would have to approve as well so why not? + I've yet to see anyone show flow rate data on the new filters, everyone just keeps opening them and looking at them and saying how awful they are, I would need someone to proof to me that these are actually bad for me to stop using them.

BigTDogg (MA) 05-18-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL21376 (Post 3394992)
I guess I'll have to check those PureOne filters. I've been using the K&N filters for years because I like the built in nut.

IME, the PureOne's are excellent filters. Used them on my previous DDs with great results.

I always use a filter cup socket. I may try the Rotella at some point, but I've had a hard time finding it.

When I first found out that Honeywell was making the blue Subaru filters, I was a little nervous, knowing that they also own Fram (the craptasticiest filter brand). However, after searching and seeing people posting about their UOA using the blues, I feel much better. Got a 6 pack now, so the next 24K miles or so will be with the blues.

Tomkat1127 05-18-2011 11:14 AM

For the Rotella 5w40, try Wal-Mart, Advance Auto, NAPA, Pep Boys, Tractor Supply or you might even try a bigger truck stop.

The Pureone always gets stuck in my filter cup wrench. I have to take a extension, punch or screw driver to push or pry it out. At least it don't slip I guess.....
The OEM Subie blue filter looked to be somewhat better made then the aftermarket Fram. For the most part, even the guys that run Fram will probably be hard pressed to find a defective Fram or have engine issues related to filter performance if they are following decent OCI. I've sold thousands of both brands over 8 years (99-2007), only ever had few defective failures from each brand. Fram was impropoerly crimped and leaked on a small block Chevy, had a whole case of 12 Purolator (standard) with bad (deformed) gaskets, somehow got past their QC.