Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Keyless Entry Remote Programming (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158929)

zx2guy19 03-31-2011 10:38 AM

Keyless Entry Remote Programming

I bought my legacy a few months ago (2007 GT) and it didn't come with the keyless entry remote because the dude couldn't find it. So, I bought one on ebay. It says to program it using instructions in the owners manual, but of course, I don't have one of those either.

I don't have any local Subaru dealerships (closest one is 30+ miles), so can someone do a brief How-To on how to program the keyless entry remote on my 2007 Legacy GT?

That would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

zx2guy19 03-31-2011 11:21 AM

Bump, threads move fast on this forum, holy crap.

AkumaMax 03-31-2011 11:23 AM

I don't think anyone will give out that info for fear of someone programming a remote to someone elses car. As far as I know you have to go to the dealer to get it programmed. I could be getting it confused with the key remote though.

zx2guy19 03-31-2011 11:26 AM

If it's in the owners manual I'm sure anyone can do some crappy stuff. I'm just trying to program my new keyless entry remote (separate from the key) to my car.

Legacy51 03-31-2011 08:13 PM

I can offer you this from an eBay vendor. I have a 2007 limited and these are the instructions I was given. I attached a pic of the fob so you can compare too.

Programming for a 2006 to 2008 Subaru Legacy
Read through this information very thoroughly as eveything needs to be done in a quick fashion!*
This is a very difficult procedure that many / most folks are just not able to perform well or properly.
While we provide this information, we recommend a dealer or very good locksmith for the
programming of these due to the difficult nature of the process to get these going.
First, open the remote and make a note* of the eight-digit number located inside the case.
* When
***** Remote transmitter added or replaced.
***** System malfunction.
* How
* NOTE: A maximum of 4 remote transmitters can be programmed (one at a time).
* Program all 4 memory positions to ensure lost or stolen remote transmitters
* will not work.
***** Locate and record remote transmitter ID number from package or remote
***** transmitter that will be programmed.
***** Open driver's door.
***** Enter vehicle.
***** Close driver's door.
***** Within 15 seconds: Turn ignition key to ON position and back to LOCK
***** position 10 times.
***** An acoustic signal is emitted once to indicate programming mode activated.
***** Another continuous acoustic signal will follow and interior lamp will flash
***** until programming is complete.
* NOTE: If an error occurs during programming, the acoustic signal will stop, the
* interior lamp will extinguish and the programming will need to be started
* again.
***** Within 45 seconds:
***** Open driver's door.
***** Close driver's door.
***** An acoustic signal is emitted until the ID number is entered.
***** Press the LOCK button on the door control panel the same number of times as
***** the first digit in the remote transmitter ID number.
***** When the digit has been entered press the UNLOCK button on the door control
***** panel.
***** Repeat procedure with each digit counting from left to right.
***** Repeat programming procedure for the entire ID number a second time.
***** An acoustic signal is emitted once to indicate programming complete.
***** Repeat ID number entering procedure for any additional remote transmitters
***** being programmed.
***** Check operation of all programmed remote transmitters.

http://www.keylessremotesonline.com/...-503728209.gif

burnout8488 03-31-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkumaMax (Post 3330485)
I don't think anyone will give out that info for fear of someone programming a remote to someone elses car.

:lol: No worries, the key is still needed.

AkumaMax 04-01-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnout8488 (Post 3331219)
:lol: No worries, the key is still needed.

LOL People think that. I thought my 04 RSX was unstealable for the fact it had the immobilizer on it. Man was I wrong. They stole that within 3 hours of me being home.

zx2guy19 04-01-2011 04:36 AM

Same key fob...man those are some weird instructions. Is this how you programmed yours? Thanks man!

Legacy51 04-01-2011 02:29 PM

Honestly, I haven't tried it yet. I am getting the all in one key from freddy beans and just figure to have the dealer do them all at once. I can say this ebay vendor has a 100% rating over 50K transactions. I can't imagine he's pushing snake oil.

tmillard 10-22-2011 02:18 PM

This works just fine. I just did it myself. The biggest thing to remember after you do it is that you should remove the key from the ignition to test it. I did it twice before giving up and pulling the key from the ignition and getting out of the car thinking it hadn't worked and then I clicked and badda bing badda boom

shadowsports 12-08-2011 11:40 PM

I can confirm the steps above work for an '08 as well.

farberio 12-09-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkumaMax (Post 3331321)
LOL People think that. I thought my 04 RSX was unstealable for the fact it had the immobilizer on it. Man was I wrong. They stole that within 3 hours of me being home.

There is no chance that someone can program a remote to your car without your knowledge. Did you read the instructions?

If you buy a car second hand its certainly possible that they give you two keys but had a third programmed into it without your knowledge. That would make for an easy steal 3 hours later.

There should be directions to erase all known keylesss entry/immobilizer. Then you can learn only the ones you want to work.

DirtyDan 12-09-2011 07:58 AM

You can program the keyless entry fob pretty easy. Just follow the instructions - exactly.
The chipped key, has to be programed, but there are places other than the dealer that can do it. I found a local hardware store that cut and programed a key for $65.

RabidWombat 12-09-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx2guy19 (Post 3330422)
I bought my legacy a few months ago (2007 GT) and it didn't come with the keyless entry remote because the dude couldn't find it. So, I bought one on ebay. It says to program it using instructions in the owners manual, but of course, I don't have one of those either.

I don't have any local Subaru dealerships (closest one is 30+ miles), so can someone do a brief How-To on how to program the keyless entry remote on my 2007 Legacy GT?

That would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Register your car on my.subaru.com and you'll be able to download a pdf of the owner's manual. Its incredibly helpful because its a) searchable, and b) not in the glove box.

minitech 12-30-2011 11:16 AM

Just saved a bunch of mony and did it myself !!!! Works on 05-08 legacys. Go here http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html and follow the instructions. I highly recommend reading them trough real good, i know it looks bad but its really not. It only took me about 30 min to get it done. :lol: