Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Fog Lights - Factory or Aftermarket????? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158867)

ChasWG 03-30-2011 01:55 PM

Fog Lights - Factory or Aftermarket?????

I really want some added driving/fog lights on my car. But I'm not sure if I want the factory units or custom fit a set of aftermarket units in the spot where the factory ones would go. Finding the right set to be custom fit in those black cut outs is key with that plan.

I guess I'm wondering how long lived are the bulbs in the factory lights. I've heard that in the previous gen cars that the factory fogs are always burning out prematurely.

I also want to know how good are the factory fog/driving lamps. The description say a "low, wide beam." That doesn't sound like they are very effective. Are they more for looks? I'm OK with that too, I like seeing the extra lights on cars. If they help lighting the road as well and look good, that would be good too.

As for aftermarket fog/driving lights, any good suggestions? Actual lamps or good places to look.

I know the factory kit is basically plug and play and I like that idea.

Rogue77 03-30-2011 02:57 PM

I have the factory git factory installed when I bought the car. They work like any other fog lights I have had. To me fogs are to light the road from a low angle and really only provide a good clarity for what is close to the car (meaning maybe 20-30 feet or so).

I had the factory fogs on my 08 Spec.B and the bulbs never had to be changed in the 3 years I owned it and they lit the road just as good as my 2011's do.

Personally I'd go Subaru OEM for ease of installation and warranty.

-Rogue77`

ChasWG 03-30-2011 02:59 PM

Thanks Rogue! That helps.

BMA44 03-30-2011 03:02 PM

i just got the blinglights fog kit in the mail last week, but haven't installed them yet. $75 shipped but it's not plug and play and the lamps are rectangular instead of round like OEM. i am going to get a quote to have them installed maybe Friday so i'll keep you posted. If it costs too much, i am returning them and going OEM in the future..

cisco0623 03-30-2011 03:12 PM

I had the Subaru OEM installed, they are great, look good and are VERY bright, way whiter than the headlights lol

minuccims 03-30-2011 04:37 PM

lol the fogs are easier to change than those in the headlight assembly.

I am also pleased with the OEM kit, which I installed. If you an to convert to HIDs, seems as if aftermarket may provide a better total solution. Where and how the fogs mount is not the best for aftermarket. If you haven't removed the cover where the fogs go, maybe do that and take a look at mounting and vanity options.

good news is the area is prewired. If you get the OEM switch that mounts next to the power mirror controls, it's a great interior finish. The switch is even back lit.

SpidermanMTL 03-30-2011 04:51 PM

I installed OEM.. easy stuff... then I slammed Hids in em :).. going to be running 3 sets one on my fogs, one on my low beams and the one that's going on my drl/high beams is in the mail.

Edit:.. also just a small note to my knowledge .. fog lights are typically placed in the center of the car.. whereas "driving" lights are spaced like ours (OEM).

seiyafan 03-30-2011 05:04 PM

I bought my car w/o the fogs, but after a couple of times driving in rain I had trouble seeing lane markings and potholes, so I put them on and I could see better.

brad_houck 03-30-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpidermanMTL (Post 3329603)

Edit:.. also just a small note to my knowledge .. fog lights are typically placed in the center of the car.. whereas "driving" lights are spaced like ours (OEM).

sorry but thats not true. fog lights are meant to have a wide spread of light so as to light the edge of the road, lines on the road, etc during bad weather situations. driving lights are meant to be on only with the high beams and are meant to be a narrow beam that shines far down the road. so fog lights are spread apart and driving lights are close together.

ChasWG 03-30-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpidermanMTL (Post 3329603)

Yeah, that is correct. I just called them "fogs" because that is the common name used here. They are actually "driving lights."

Magic Marker 03-30-2011 09:00 PM

Had them port installed. Much better than the OEM fogs on my 08 Impreza.

musty_hustla 03-31-2011 04:50 AM

I'm curious what aftermarket kits have people used.

coppertone 03-31-2011 05:15 AM

Factory.....

shoggoth43 03-31-2011 10:43 AM

Factory. VERY easy to install once you pull out the inserts all the wiring is already there. Hardest part was replacing the mirror switch which comes with the kit since the white plug didn't want to let go. As long as you keep in mind the "fog" light aspect of this and use them as such you'll be fine.

-
S

JJK 03-31-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoggoth43 (Post 3330519)
Factory. VERY easy to install once you pull out the inserts all the wiring is already there. Hardest part was replacing the mirror switch which comes with the kit since the white plug didn't want to let go. As long as you keep in mind the "fog" light aspect of this and use them as such you'll be fine.

-
S

Are the cables going from the kit switch to the fog lights already prewired, or you have to pass them through into the engine bay and then to the lights? If so is that difficult? I want to order the kit for my '11 Legacy.