Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rear wheel "air deflector"? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157983)

HarryD 03-17-2011 04:59 PM

Rear wheel "air deflector"?

Would anyone with access to a parts catalog be able to
look up a few parts for me?
I am trying to order the small air deflector at the lower
front of the passenger side rear wheel opening of my '05LGT,
along with the plastic "pop-it's" that secure it.
It did not survive our New England winter and my dealership
parts guy isn't having any luck in looking it up.

Garage.East 03-17-2011 07:20 PM

You should be able to find it here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...4857&year=2006

HarryD 03-18-2011 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I looked through quite a few parts websites without any luck, but it seems that I was not looking in the right category, as I seem to have found it on this site in Rocker Panel Trim pieces.
I believe that the part that I need is marked #9. Thanks for pointing me to this site.

I quess that I will have to take apart the drivers side to determine which fasteners that I need, as
it is not clear in this view.

Attachment 97790

Windy Road 03-18-2011 08:06 AM

Ahh that part. I lost one too. Then I had to take the other side off to match. I'm not putting mine back in. I'd have a feeling I'd rip them back out again.

snow05gtRI 03-18-2011 09:42 AM

theres two of those things on each wheel right? i think i lost one...

dingbang 03-18-2011 09:58 AM

Mine are still attached...I enjoy pushing them all over the place when I wash my car lol

RJS5689 03-18-2011 10:02 AM

I find it funny how Subarus just shed parts. I'm missing some plastic inside the wheel well as well, along with other various little things.

Max Capacity 03-18-2011 12:58 PM

Why worry about it. I think I lost one or both years ago. Who cares.

Oh may be that's why my car uses oil, and has tranny issues. Worry about the important things.

snow05gtRI 03-18-2011 01:06 PM

aerodynamics, my friend. and i'm not worried, but they're there for a reason... why add such a tiny, seemingly inconsequential part?

Gire 03-18-2011 01:20 PM

Just tell the new members that the air deflectors are "JDM" and they will care more!:lol::lol:

KartRacerBoy 03-18-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow05gtRI (Post 3315428)
aerodynamics, my friend. and i'm not worried, but they're there for a reason... why add such a tiny, seemingly inconsequential part?

I lost mine within 6 months of buying my 05 new. When I found out the part cost $50 at the dealer I told them they could have it.

I can't imagine it has $50 of aero value. :lol:

snow05gtRI 03-18-2011 02:28 PM

woah i did not realize it was $50!

jagcars26 03-19-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gire (Post 3315440)
Just tell the new members that the air deflectors are "JDM" and they will care more!:lol::lol:

Well played sir,,

:lol:

Vitamin_G 12-05-2012 03:10 PM

I took mine off about 15k miles ago and have noticed a lot of paint chipping on the rear areas of both side skirts (above & behind where this aero peices used to attach). Has anyone else noticed this as more of a problem after removing the deflectors or is the chipping a common issue regardless? Would it be safe to assume that more rocks and crap are going to get sucked against the side of the vehicle with these removed?

trhull 12-05-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitamin_G (Post 4188342)
I took mine off about 15k miles ago and have noticed a lot of paint chipping on the rear areas of both side skirts (above & behind where this aero peices used to attach). Has anyone else noticed this as more of a problem after removing the deflectors or is the chipping a common issue regardless? Would it be safe to assume that more rocks and crap are going to get sucked against the side of the vehicle with these removed?

That seems unlikely even if you factor in the buffeting from the non-deflected air. I have a lot of chipping in that location even with the factory (dealer option) splash guards. Most of that chipping comes from debris thrown by the front tires and the slightly outward protrusion of the rocker panel right before the rear tire.

My 2 cents.

Also, somehow mine have stayed on for almost two years with only one pop-it each. :)