Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior/Audio (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Outside door latch AND inside door handle broken (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156638)

wcbjr 02-28-2011 06:07 AM

Outside door latch AND inside door handle broken

How would one go about getting the door open? Can the trim between the front door / rear door pillar be removed to gain access to the actual locking clasp mechanism?

BAC5.2 02-28-2011 06:17 AM

Fix it.

Doing so, depends on the money you want to spend. If you order a new door card from the dealer, just cut the old one out from inside the car.

There is no way to access the door opening bits from outside the car.

I'd probably spend my time disassembling the inside of the door, to try and reach the cable bracket that pulls the latch. That's really all you can do. You'll need to pull out the seat and the B-pillar trim, then get to work.

wcbjr 02-28-2011 07:50 AM

Also, get this. The outside door handle across all 2005-whatever Legacy models has been reduced down to one part number. An unpainted and TEXTURED piece. So in order to properly paint the damn thing, you need to fill the texture, sand it, primer it, then paint it. Wow. $250 to replace a door handle. $50 for the part, $200 to properly paint it.

Chrisbl 03-04-2011 05:07 AM

Thats a tricky situation. You'll need something very thin to go through the door panel and yank the cable somehow.. I think the upper part by the window will flex a bit if you push something through.

Or you could just drive to a shady neighbourhood and ask for help :P

BAC5.2 03-04-2011 05:20 AM

How did it break?

I looked up the PN's and sure enough, every color code has been superseded by a -ANN. That sucks.

Did the exterior handle actually break?

If not, then you can probably swap the painted bits of yours for the new one and be in OK shape.

Oh, and you should be able to unfasten the screw holding the interior handle bucket in place and remove it. That will give you access to the cables, and you should be able to jimmy them to open the door. Then you can properly remove the door panel and be in OK shape to go!

wcbjr 03-09-2011 05:27 AM

I ripped off the panel from the inside and unlocked it by hand from inside the door. Yes, the actual handle broke, one of the two thick plastic levers that pushes on the rods. All is well now, still surprised this hasn't happened to more people, and nobody knows (or has posted) how to remove the window glass.

wcbjr 03-09-2011 05:27 AM

But thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

LosAngelesLGT 03-09-2011 05:47 AM

just replace all the door handles so they match for $200 :lol:

Wow thats annoying about the door handle part. two words: Junk yard?

c-lo 03-09-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcbjr (Post 3303845)
But thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

aren't there a couple wrecked leggies on the board that are being parted out?

dingbang 03-10-2011 07:00 AM

my driver side rear door did what happened to the OP this winter...the only exception is I can still open the door from the inside. The levers on the handle itself snapped off in the cold...I got to hear them tinkle down the inside of my door that morning. It's too cold for me to rip my door apart...so until spring, my door is ghettooooo

nawoj 03-19-2011 01:16 PM

me too dingbang! window was frozen to the gasket, and i just kept pulling....THUNK! i just ripped the interior apart, and just like wcbjr, "one of the two thick plastic levers that pushes on the rods" had snapped. my interior handle wouldn't work either, but after dismantling, it works now. i'll have to order the SAHWEET "unpainted and TEXTURED piece." for the exterior, and hope my 4-year-old doesnt kick in the speaker(didnt bother with the door card till i get the part)

Uncle Sizzle 04-11-2011 03:27 PM

I’m battling the same door handle issue right now. I will post a complete walk through after I get the replacement handles. That’s right, handles. I’m down two right now, and I’ve already replaced one of the others…

laramieskibum 07-08-2011 09:04 PM

All 4

All 4 broken on mine, over 6 months. Repaired 1, waiting for parts for two more.

Same symptom, two broke during winter, two summer.

SCHM1AN 08-11-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcbjr (Post 3303844)
Yes, the actual handle broke, one of the two thick plastic levers that pushes on the rods.

Have you gotten a replacement handle yet? I'm assuming this is the exterior handle. This happened to me and I'm looking for a way to fix it without paying the stealership $86 for an unpainted part.

I'm assuming *this* is it. Confirmation?

nawoj 08-15-2011 04:51 AM

that's the right part. I think I ordered mine from subarupartsonline.com, and it was pretty cheap, definitely under $30 shipped. But I only needed 1. And if you find one that says "Regal Blue Pearl", it won't be. But I don't even notice the black, TBH.