Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   turbo shaft play !!WITH VIDEO!! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156303)

Kawasaki148 02-23-2011 08:40 AM

turbo shaft play !!WITH VIDEO!!

Ok, so while I was trying to find a boost leak, I decided to go ahead, and pull off the downpipe while the intercooler and turbo heat shields were off. there IS shaft play, the only thing is I know nothing about cars, or if there is supposed to be a little bit or if its supposed to be solid. so heres the video, about 40 secs in you can get a good look
thanks everyone

Spec B 02-23-2011 08:41 AM

When I pulled my stocker out if had some play that you can feel, but not really see. That looks like a lot more play than I had on my vf40 with 20K miles.

Kawasaki148 02-23-2011 11:58 AM

But is this bad..., I'm not burning oil, or finding any leaking .....

LosAngelesLGT 02-23-2011 12:03 PM

Time for a new turbo boyo! Send that bad boy to BnR for a rebuild or UPgrade. I suggest UPgrade. No way in hell I would put that on my car. That turbo is done, its just not failed badly yet. Dont wait till blades are hitting housing.

zexauk 02-24-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesLGT (Post 3286818)
Time for a new turbo boyo! Send that bad boy to BnR for a rebuild or UPgrade. I suggest UPgrade. No way in hell I would put that on my car. That turbo is done, its just not failed badly yet. Dont wait till blades are hitting housing.

I agree! Time for a new piece! don't let the thing to blow up and have a bigger issue...
I have seen similar or a little bigger plays in the turbo shaft, and all of them finished really bad in not too much time

executor485 02-24-2011 07:40 AM

Survey says thats a very significant amount of shaft play. I'd replace it personally. Even a few of the "borked" turbo's that I've seen only have minimal shaft movement and definitely not as noticeable as this.
Good luck to you!

LosAngelesLGT 02-24-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesLGT (Post 3286818)
That turbo is done, its just not failed badly YET.

/thread

05LGTLtd 02-24-2011 08:47 AM

Quoth the raven, "run the turbo nevermore.."

Kawasaki148 02-24-2011 08:49 AM

So would this cause the noise I've been hearing (a hissing or whin) or do I still have a boost leak I need to find? And will I be able to drive if staying out of the turbo, or should I just park it and save up some cash moneys for a new turbo.?

executor485 02-24-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawasaki148 (Post 3287897)
So would this cause the noise I've been hearing (a hissing or whin) or do I still have a boost leak I need to find? And will I be able to drive if staying out of the turbo, or should I just park it and save up some cash moneys for a new turbo.?

The turbo is still spooling even if not in boost range. So it still has the opportunity to shatter, tear up the fins, fins go into engine cylinders, cost goes up exponentially from that point.
I would venture a guess that the hiss would be the vanes rubbing on the sidewalls. Even if you do have a boost leak, its very risky to continue driving on that turbo.

Jazz95 02-24-2011 02:03 PM

Thanks for the post. I'll be dropping my downpipe this weekend to check for play. I actually have some burning smells...fearing the worst. At least this gives me a reference to use.

Kawasaki148 02-25-2011 07:50 AM

No problem, bets way to get good insight is if everyone else can see what I see. Now Im trying to find a nice used cheap replacment turbo... any suggestions, I'm tryin not to break the bank... for now :)

05LGTLtd 02-25-2011 08:49 AM

BNR 16gEVO, up-pipe, DP, Oil line, Jb weld Tmic, Infamous tune.

You can run stock fueling with this set up, not really leaving too much power un tapped. If your stock now, it will really feel like a major upgrade.

Kawasaki148 02-27-2011 06:03 PM

Ok so with the evo 16g I wouldn't need a fuel pump or injectors which is nice. If I were to go ahead and put on a down pipe and up pipe I would defiantly need a tune? and how much do tunes go for.? Another question I have is if I were to get a down pipe, what is better going with the catted or the uncatted. from what I have read it seems like everyone goes uncatted, but would this leave a constant check engine light on my dash or would it cause any problems for me car?
thanks ahead of time !!

05LGTLtd 02-27-2011 06:49 PM

You will need a tune. If you have to pass smog, catted is better. Uncatted can be stinky. You may fail with a catted dp, some states/shops are strict on the visual inspection.

PM MSprank and he can answer lots of questions and set you up with a tune and hardware package to go with the 16g.