Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   BNR 16g VS. HTA68 (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154172)

GetShacked808 01-23-2011 11:56 PM

BNR 16g VS. HTA68

Hey guys really on the fence between these two. I guess Ill state my goals don't really care all that much about about numbers. I live in Hawaii where there isn't anywhere to really open up your car. A lot of tight twistie technical roads, only a few good straights. Im looking for awesome spool and good power I've heard good things about both and I am just wondering how close the spool of the HTA68 is to the 16g and also will I be left wanting more power with the 16g. All proper supporting mods will be going in with the turbo. Thanks for your time and sorry for yet another which turbo thread:redface:

Dirtrace95 01-24-2011 01:03 AM

If there's no place to really open up your car you will be way more happy with the
the smaller evo 16g turbo, It will be alot more fun to drive in confined driving area
such as you have.

jvento 01-24-2011 01:44 AM

Yea but the 18g turbo it will be a little laggy... What I'm getting as soon as my stocker takes a shit!!!

ashdoggy 01-27-2011 02:36 AM

I'm really close to upgrading turbo. BNR 18g is leading the way.

f1anatic 01-27-2011 05:19 AM

have you considered reading the long thread about BNR turbos Or using the search function ?

dr_sharp 01-27-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 3252867)
have you considered reading the long thread about BNR turbos Or using the search function ?

:lol:

"I'm considering searching and not searching... which would you guys recommend?????"

f1anatic 01-27-2011 08:03 PM

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...de-119177.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ad-140671.html

rkl303 01-27-2011 09:25 PM

I'd say if you are staying in Hawaii to get the 16g...you can't really speed too much there anyways.

fredraud 01-27-2011 11:41 PM

Plus I hear the hta does not like pineapples.

jcole05 01-28-2011 04:20 PM

Know the OPs pain. Even with lots of searching, way too much thread reading, and asking some helpful people out here for advice, I'm struggling with 16g versus 18g versus HTA68 myself. 18g suffering in my eyes from lack of compelling dyno plots (at least that I can find).

f1anatic 01-28-2011 04:51 PM

It is simpler than you think. Do you drag race ? Do you have vast expanses of land where you can accelerate your way into the triple digits without getting into an accident or getting pulled over ? Do you always shift gears at red line ?

If you answered NO to at least 2 of the questions, then what you will be happier with is the quicker spool of a 16G. Mine spools at around 2400 and you know what - it is so smooth and so much response-on-demand that now, anything that would delay it - such as a bigger turbo - would be unacceptable. The 16G is already a bigger than stock - faster than stock turbo. And if you read the 2 threads, people will never question that 16G is the fastest spooling turbo, but will question how much more horsepower it loses out to these 2 turbos at the top end. How much ? Well I know the answer...but see, I read the threads.

If in doubt, go 16G because realistically you spend very little of your driving life in the 5-7000 rpm range where these 2 bigger turbos may add that extra inch to your ego. Unless of course you answered YES to the questions above - that is when it becomes a clear choice above the 16G.

GetShacked808 01-28-2011 07:39 PM

Yeah I did search, I did read the whole fing bnr thread. I still had questions, sorry for asking them on a forum... Like jcole I havent seen definative dynos with true spool difference between the hta and the 16 maybe Im not a good enough searcher? Thank you F1anatic for your helpful post even after your fantastic previous two.

goneskiian 01-28-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 3254943)
It is simpler than you think. Do you drag race ? Do you have vast expanses of land where you can accelerate your way into the triple digits without getting into an accident or getting pulled over ? Do you always shift gears at red line ?

If you answered NO to at least 2 of the questions, then what you will be happier with is the quicker spool of a 16G. Mine spools at around 2400 and you know what - it is so smooth and so much response-on-demand that now, anything that would delay it - such as a bigger turbo - would be unacceptable. The 16G is already a bigger than stock - faster than stock turbo. And if you read the 2 threads, people will never question that 16G is the fastest spooling turbo, but will question how much more horsepower it loses out to these 2 turbos at the top end. How much ? Well I know the answer...but see, I read the threads.

If in doubt, go 16G because realistically you spend very little of your driving life in the 5-7000 rpm range where these 2 bigger turbos may add that extra inch to your ego. Unless of course you answered YES to the questions above - that is when it becomes a clear choice above the 16G.

I read the WHOLE BNR Bolt on thread. I wish someone put it like that a LONG time ago.

Yes, I know this was said in many other ways but to have you put it like that would make it so much easier for a lot of folks to make a decision.

THANKS!

Legend 01-29-2011 12:59 PM

OP, good job quickly narrowing it down to the 2 best bolt-on options. I would also recommend you go with the 16G.

LosAngelesLGT 02-13-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 3254943)

GREATEST NEWB-SCHOOL POST EVAR! Seriously this cant be quoted enough.