Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Walkthroughs :: Basic Operation & Maintenance (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Oil Change Instructions! With Pics! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540)

Opie 07-20-2004 08:42 PM

Oil Change Instructions! With Pics!

:D Did mine tonight so here they are!

Link is no longer active....

Let me know what you think! :D

agctr 07-20-2004 08:53 PM

FANTASTIC report Opie, very well put together, looks great but will be leaving all of that to the professionals I think. Looks easy enough I suppose but I dont want to be putting them out of a job.........

Just curious also, when you were draining the oil, it looked very black, wouldnt this be considered very unusual for a new car? or did it just seem a lot blacker from the pictures?

Opie 07-20-2004 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agctr
FANTASTIC report Opie, very well put together, looks great but will be leaving all of that to the professionals I think. Looks easy enough I suppose but I dont want to be putting them out of a job.........

Just curious also, when you were draining the oil, it looked very black, wouldnt this be considered very unusual for a new car? or did it just seem a lot blacker from the pictures?

Thanks! :D

The pics make the oil look a bit darker than it really was, it actually looked (and smelled) very good. I can't wait to get a few more miles on it to go synthetic! :twisted:

agctr 07-20-2004 09:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I thought as much but just wanted to ask. Glad yr enjoying yr new ride.

TLS 07-20-2004 09:25 PM

What is the reason for replacing the crush washer?

Is this a Subaru thing?

I've never heard of doing that when performing an oil change (and I've changed quite a few hundred gallons of oil in my time).

So the filter threads are aranged verticaly/straight up which actually allows you to pre-oil the filter.....COOL! Don't see that too often today. Lots are angled and some are even upside down!

Does the filter cross to an aftermarket or AC-Delco PN?

What was the cost of the filter at the dealer?

Tide 07-20-2004 09:37 PM

Wow, great post. If you want a free license plate frame from us, just PM me your info.

Deer Killer 07-20-2004 10:44 PM

Why does this dipstick measure higher when hot? Perhaps "cold" means cold oil, but engine has recently run? The dipstick should go down once the oil has been pumped all over the engine...

I'd think too much oil would be especially dangerous in a boxer..

Opie 07-21-2004 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLS
What is the reason for replacing the crush washer?

Is this a Subaru thing?

I've never heard of doing that when performing an oil change (and I've changed quite a few hundred gallons of oil in my time).

So the filter threads are aranged verticaly/straight up which actually allows you to pre-oil the filter.....COOL! Don't see that too often today. Lots are angled and some are even upside down!

Does the filter cross to an aftermarket or AC-Delco PN?

What was the cost of the filter at the dealer?

Yep it's a Subaru thing, the crush washers are one-time use and should be replaced at every change to prevent leaks, they are cheap! :)

I don't know if the filter has any aftermarket alternatives yet, I got mine at the dealer, it was $6.50

Tide - You have PM :D

Deer Killer - Not sure, that's what the owners manual said regarding reading the dipstick...

devobuzz 07-21-2004 08:43 PM

On my turbo Dodges I installed a kill switch on the coil to prevent dry starts after an oil change. Any chance this can be done on the GT?

mccorry 07-21-2004 08:51 PM

I think I might remove the door to the oil filter on mine. Seems like a big PITA to not lose the clips and have to undo them each time.

I use fiber washers on all my cars. They are reusable and seal up very well. I'll try one on my scoobie to see how it works....

Dr. Zevil 07-29-2004 08:50 AM

dumb question... but where do you guys take your oil (used)?

SUBE555 07-29-2004 09:43 AM

Local municipality has drop-off locations. Maybe a couple bucks, if that.

Ken S 07-29-2004 11:28 AM

Around where I live, the local trash company will pick it up with recycleables.

Ken

inthedeck 07-29-2004 11:53 AM

In NY, at least, you can take it to any 'service' station that performs such service, and drop it off for free. They are required to take used oil, coolant, etc.

Later
i.

TLS 07-29-2004 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthedeck
take it to any 'service' station that performs such service, and drop it off for free. They are required to take used oil, coolant, etc.

I'm not so sure of that.

The places that WILL take it free because their required are the Pep-Boys or any place that SELLS oil to you at retail. A local service station doesn't "sell" oil retail, therefore isn't "required" to take it for free.