Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Legacy Photos (2005-2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The LALGT ReBuild Thread (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152682)

m sprank 01-03-2011 10:38 AM

The LALGT ReBuild Thread

Well LALGT finally decided to do it. He is taking the plunge.

The car has been at stage3 (stock fueling) for a few months now. But all the upgrades to the car over time were pieced together. That and the multiple front end and rear end collisions really "clapped" the car out after 60k miles.

So, I am starting this thread to document some of my work on his car.

I have been assigned the job of basically tearing the entire car down. Replaceing anything worn and upgrading it. Prepping the suspension for track duty, while repairing the motor and FMIC damage (collisions) and upgrading it for more power and track duty as well.

What better way to tell a story than pix.

m sprank 01-03-2011 10:44 AM

10 Attachment(s)
1 = Tranny mount-old and new GroupeN
2 = Some dead soldiers
3 = New Rear Cusco Sways, Whiteline Bushings and AVO mounts. Plus Technafit lines
4 = Rear suspension
5 = Whiteline Rear Diff Mounts (front and rear)
6 = Kartboy Rear shifter bushing
7 = Kartboy Shifter bushings and Whiteline Tranny Crossmember bushings
8 = GroupeN Tranny mount
9 = Whiteline Tranny Crossmember bushings
10 = Whiteline Steering Rack bushings

m sprank 01-03-2011 10:47 AM

10 Attachment(s)
1 = Whiteline Steering Rack bushings
2 = Front Cusco Sway and Whiteline bushings
3 = Whiteline Bump Steer kit
4 = The old GMS CBE
5 = CBE removed
6 = CBE removed
7,8,9,10 = Fitting new Stromung Quad Tip CBE (Pre-Production)

m sprank 01-03-2011 10:51 AM

10 Attachment(s)
1-10 = All pix of the Stromung mock up. But you can see lots of new parts.

m sprank 01-03-2011 10:57 AM

10 Attachment(s)
1 - 5 = RacerX FMIC Core after 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of 2000 deg paint and 2 coats of flat black. All with wetsanding in between coats.

6 - 10 = RacerX cold side piping after getting same treatment as core.

m sprank 01-03-2011 10:59 AM

6 Attachment(s)
1 = Last pic of RacerX cold side pipe
2 - 6 = RacerX hotside piping after being wrapped and coated.
7 = Straggler Stromung pic

More to follow. Lots of work left to do on the car.

Underdog 01-03-2011 11:06 AM

Nice work Mike! Max will be driving a brand new car when you are through. :)

m sprank 01-03-2011 11:15 AM

That is the idea.

Going to pull the motor next. Replacing the oil pan, pick up, windage tray, motor mounts, crank pulley, belts, plugs, injectors, fuel pump. Re-routing fuel lines, wrapping headers/uppipe/downpipe, installing turbo blanket, new BPV, lots of hoses replaced, etc.

Then some more electrical work. Already did Black outs lamps with HID's and Halos. Interior is full LED too now.

Also just modified his STi short throw. It is now actually short. LOL.

I will post the entire list once done. But it is several pages of work and parts. He is dropping MAJOR coin to bring this baby back to its original beauty with a TON more power and performance.

He might just be going from one of the biggest beater LGT's on the forum to one of the nicest.

He is spending a good $5k on body work and paint too.

kirbwrx 01-03-2011 12:19 PM

How much of a difference do the steering rack bushing make and how much of a pain are they? Also, nice job on the intercooler. Gives me ideas on what to do now. Keep the updates coming.

istealfrombums 01-03-2011 12:33 PM

God damn! I remember Max's car was all beat up from the previous collisions. Looks like a beast in the making. Now finish your damn car after this! :)

ruggerheist 01-03-2011 12:54 PM

i have an extra room at my house, ill let you fly out here and work on my car, seriously no problem at all :lol:. nice work, i just wish you had a clone that lived in my neighborhood

TSi+WRX 01-03-2011 01:11 PM

^ +1.

If I only had the capability to do so, Mike would be my "on call" guy. :)

m sprank 01-03-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbwrx (Post 3222289)
How much of a difference do the steering rack bushing make and how much of a pain are they? Also, nice job on the intercooler. Gives me ideas on what to do now. Keep the updates coming.

If done just on their own the change is subtle. I think it makes an improvement in feedback. Makes the steering more "BMW like". Tighter with more of a "aim". Combined with the bump steer kit and a few extras bushings you can really transform the car.

bnguyenbb6 01-03-2011 06:30 PM

Good job on the IC painting msprank, looks a hell of a lot better than mine lol. Has LALGT thought about throwing in pistons while the motor is out?

m sprank 01-03-2011 07:08 PM

I am sure he has. But like most of us funding has to run out some time. He already dropped $3k on paint and body work. $3k on parts. Has more parts to pay for. Has all labor to pay for. Has about $2k in more body work to do. Lets just say this tab is somewhere in the 10K and north range. Not for the faint of heart. But if you want 350-365awhp done the right way (as in chassis/suspension/braking/tranny/power), with style, then that is what it costs.