Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anybody else have a failing PS pump?? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151909)

specialB 12-20-2010 07:44 PM

Anybody else have a failing PS pump??

Haven't driven my car in close to four months up until last week. And towards the end of the week I got some naaassty belt squeek when I start the car which goes away after a few seconds...sometimes longer. On top of that my steering wheel is hard to turn sitting still. I've had a PS pump go twice on my old ram and its not the same as whats happening here. My truck never squeeked, and when the PS went...it went. This goes in and out. All day today I haven't had a problem and the PS works fine.

I currently have 55,000 miles, anybody else run into these problems? Seems like once the car warms up its not as bad. But like i said, sometimes its fine and other times the car would be warm and the wheel will fight me when im sitting still.

DHracer 12-20-2010 08:31 PM

I am having the same issues, if I turn sharp at a dead stop to pull out of a parking space I am getting a slipping noise and jolting feel in the steering wheel cold or warm. Got the cold start up squeal too, I was wondering if the ps pump is bad or just a belt issue? I don't know.

LosAngelesLGT 12-20-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialB (Post 3208954)
I currently have 55,000 miles, anybody else run into these problems?

YES. I replaced mine about 10k ago, the same mileage as yours currently. I replaced with oem and hope this one lasts longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialB (Post 3208954)
Seems like once the car warms up its not as bad. But like i said, sometimes its fine and other times the car would be warm and the wheel will fight me when im sitting still.

Same thing happened to me. I suppose its possible that your belt is old and has lost some tension but I kind-of doubt it. What you are describing sounds exactly what happened with our car.

May as well let the car warm up before you drive it from now on, stop turning the wheel when you are not moving, and change out that PS pump along with a 60k at your next oil change interval. The 60k will include belts;)

Ake109 12-21-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHracer (Post 3209020)
I am having the same issues, if I turn sharp at a dead stop to pull out of a parking space I am getting a slipping noise and jolting feel in the steering wheel cold or warm. Got the cold start up squeal too, I was wondering if the ps pump is bad or just a belt issue? I don't know.

I got the exact same problem. And I just flushed my PS fluid. Suspect the belt needs replacing.

Ake109 12-21-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ake109 (Post 3209401)
I got the exact same problem (except no squeal...yet). And I just flushed my PS fluid. Suspect the belt needs replacing.

ktmrider 12-21-2010 08:24 AM

This happened to me recently, almost right at 100k miles.

Pushed a BUNCH of fluid out of the reservoir cap and had some nasty noises coming from the pump plus noticed the belt was nearly bald in places. Also the fluid was almost black.

Got some Seafoam brand PS flush, douched the system 2x with it, drained as much out, and filled with "quality" PS fluid. Works like new again and no noises from the pump. Figure the flow valves in the rack were clogged up and causing the pump to work overtime.

DHracer 12-21-2010 03:50 PM

hmmm maybee I will try that, my fluid is close to black and the belt is new so the fluid could be the cause. worth a shot.

LosAngelesLGT 12-21-2010 05:49 PM

Don't forget to post a RESOLUTION!

ineedone 12-21-2010 08:34 PM

Mine was doing this too. I checked the belt, which was fine. The fluid was horrible. I used over a gallon of PS fluid to flush it clean. I took the return hose off of the reservoir and kept adding fluid and having the wife turn the wheel till it all ran clear. There was a point when she couldn't turn the wheel at all so I think that was the clog getting flushed out. Everything feels great now though. FYI if you get air in the system, it will take a few days for it to bleed itself out so just check it to make sure the level is good.

chutrain 12-22-2010 08:46 AM

Got the same issue coming up recently. Will try to flush before anything.

mustangendsley 12-22-2010 10:52 AM

same here will do a flush and then new belts im at 80k now. is the drain hose just under the power stearing box?

NeedMoreBoost 12-22-2010 06:00 PM

:whore:

Just started this winter. Car has about 125k on the odometer. Same as the above mentioned, worse when the car is cold, steering wheel sticks occasionally, etc etc.

naimouasta 12-22-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ineedone (Post 3210253)
Mine was doing this too. I checked the belt, which was fine. The fluid was horrible. I used over a gallon of PS fluid to flush it clean. I took the return hose off of the reservoir and kept adding fluid and having the wife turn the wheel till it all ran clear. There was a point when she couldn't turn the wheel at all so I think that was the clog getting flushed out. Everything feels great now though. FYI if you get air in the system, it will take a few days for it to bleed itself out so just check it to make sure the level is good.

you used ATF and not actual power steering fluid right? subaru uses ATF. just making sure.

also i don't know if my powersteering is failing but its constantly whining. its not the belt (same with old/new belts) and its not leaking or anything. also it functions normally. it just whines noticeably.

mustangendsley 12-23-2010 11:30 AM

??? is it ps fluid or ATF fluid we use.

naimouasta 12-23-2010 02:27 PM

we use ATF. it should say ATF dexron III on you cap on the power steering reservoir.