Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Second Generation Legacy (1994 - 1998) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Second Gen. Aftermarket Parts and Upgrade Guide (Superceded) (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147261)

Zues Marine 10-08-2010 11:55 AM

Second Gen. Aftermarket Parts and Upgrade Guide (V.2)

This is a guide I’ve been throwing together representing the aftermarket support for second generation (1995-1999 USDM and 1993-1998 JDM) Subaru Legacy/Outback.
while everything hyperlinked is fully compatible with your 2nd gen, keep in mind that it is only a guide to give you a better idea of what to look for..

Bolt Ons
Upgrades
DIY Guides

Suspension:

Springs

H&R (-1.5”, -1.25”)
RS☆R (-1.25”,- 1.25”)
Eibach (-1.2”,-1.2”)

Struts
KYB GR-2 – 10% Stiffer than OEM Struts
KYB AGX – On-Car Adjustable Damping

Coilovers
K Sport Kontrol
Ground Control
KW Suspension Variant
JIC Racing
Raceland

Rear Suspension Spacers – Cures the ‘saggy butt’ look after lowering your car, 3/8” Recommended.

Front Strut Tower Bar – Reduce body flex by providing extra stiffness between the strut towers.
disclaimer*- make sure to purchase MY93-01, or any with low-profile brackets.

Rear Strut Tower Bar -Especially effective in wagons

Front Swaybar – Reduce body lean and increase body roll resistance by upgrading to larger sways.

Rear Swaybar
*In order to use 93-01 Impreza RSB, you will need to modify your fuel tank

Front Endlinks - increase swaybar effectiveness by upgrading to endlinks with less flex than the rubber OEM.

Whiteline
K4RT3OY

Bushings - help reduce drive train flex, eliminate chatter, missed shifts, etc.
Control arm - lower inner front
Control arm - lower inner rear
Steering - rack & pinion mount
Sway bar – link (Front)
Control arm - lower inner & outer
Differential - support outrigger
Differential - mounts in cradle
Sway bar – link
Sway bar - link assembly
Sway bar - link assembly
Sway bar - 18mm
Sway bar - 19mm
Sway bar - 20mm
Sway bar - 22mm
Sway bar - 24mm
Sway bar - 25mm - (Tribeca FSB)
Trailing arm – front
Trailing arm - rear

Shifter Bushings - Improve shift feel and responsiveness on your vehicle by eliminating the soft rubber factory bushing
Front / Rear
Transmission Crossmember Bushings - These bushings can take the torque and vibration of high-performance street and race use
Sway bar Mounts - Super rigid forged light weight alloy mounting.
Rear Sub-frame Locking Bolt Kit - These bolts lock out the rear diff. sub frame bushings to maintain alignment under extreme conditions.
Aluminum Control Arms - Reduces your un-sprung weight and deflection under hard cornering resulting in improved handling
Control Arms - Lighter weight aluminum control arms from GC chassis imprezas bolt right up

Castor Kits - Adds caster to the front wheels giving the car more turn in response
GTSpec
Whiteline
Perrin

Braking:

Rotors
Brembo Slotted , Front / Rear
Stoptech Cryo Treated

Pads

EBC Greenstuff – Designed to reduce heat and dust, best for daily driven cars
EBC Redstuff – Designed for a mixture of track and daily driving
EBC Yellowstuff – Used primarily in heavily raced and tracked vehicles

SS Brake Lines - Improves pedal feel and response
Speed Bleeder - Allows brake bleeding to be easily done by only one person
Master Cylinder Brace - helps prevent flex among the master brake cylinder by adding more holding points to it

Performance:

Cold Air Intake – the Ebay intake was dyno proven at about a 6hp gain over similar Cosmo Racing ($200+) intake systems
MAF Adapter – You’ll need this to affix the cone filter to your MAF
Muffler - Anything works here
Borla UEL Headers - Not recommended due to the thin walls and chances of cracking
Borla Replica Un-Equal Length Header – Bring out the boxer rumble and free up a few HP. Much better reports than original Borla’s
OBX Equal Length Header – Sacrifice some of your rumble for more performance gains.
Header Heat Wrap – Keep the exhaust hot and the valve train noise muffled.
High-Flow Catalytic Converter – Increase exhaust flow
Camshaft Grinding - Low end gains and high end gains depend on how you want them grinded
Spark Plug Wires -

Lightened Flywheel - Reduce weight and inertia for better engine response
- Get quicker throttle response and more horsepower and torque. Reducing rotating mass results in better performance.
Grounding Kit – Smooth out idle and ride, reduce noise, and free up some HP.
Engine Management – Optimize engine performance by controlling aspects such as fuel mixture and ignition timing.
Port and Polished Heads - Reduce the restriction in the engine's intake and exhaust chambers to allow more air into the system, gaining power.
Engine Pitch Stop - A mount that’s stiffer than stock will reduce the amount of forward and backward movement the engine has.
Roll Center Adjuster – For lowered cars, this replaces ball joints ad returns the control arm angle closer to stock to help bring roll center closer to CG.
Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacer - Greatly reduces the transfer of heat from engine to intake manifold thus reducing heat soak. Every 5 temp. drop = 1% power gain
- Less sway and flex in engine components helps put more efficient power down to the ground.

Transmission Mounts - Transmission Mounts Make the transmission more solid. They will give you better feel for your transmission and easier shifting.
4EAT / 5MT
Transmission Oil Cooler – Improve overall performance, and lengthen the life of both the fluid and tranny
Engine Oil Cooler - Reduces oil temperature for extended engine life

Short Shifters -

Kartboy (with bushings)
TWM

Interior:

Gauge Mods

Backlight Color Change
Carbon Fiber Gauge Face Mod
Gauge Swap

Seating

-seat belt latches will need to be swapped out for the ones that you already have

97-01 2.5RS
02-03 WRX
04-07 WRX
08-09 WRX
04-09 STi

Steering Wheels
-02 JDM WRX airbags are plug and play 03 JDM some have same problem as the 03 usdm(read below)
-All 02 WRX steering wheels will be plug and play with your airbag connector, 03 WRX air bags have a different connector but will physically fit in. You can splice out the the connectors but at your own risk and not recommended.
-To use your cruise control you will need to swap the modules in the steering wheel.
02-03 WRX

WRX Center Console Swap
Custom Door cards
STi ‘Blue’ Carpet
Carpet/Headliner Dye
Floormats
A-Pillar 2-Gauge Pods – Fits 52mm gauges
Custom Shift Boots

Exterior:

Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs – Flash Amber
JDM Wagon Tail Lights
JDM Wagon Smoked Tail Lights
JDM Sedan Tail Lights
JDM Projector Headlights
JDM Projector Headlights - Black
JDM Projector Morette Headlights - Very Rare
JDM Sidemarkers - Amber
JDM Sidemarkers - Clear
JDM Front Bumper - GT-B
JDM Front Bumper GT-B Limited
JDM Window Visors
JDM Aero Splash Guards – Takes place of mudflaps
JDM Sedan Rear Window – Rear Wiper
JDM L7 Grille
JDM RFRB Grille
JDM Power Folding – Folding also found on 1995 ‘L’ Model Legacys
JDM Ganador Side Mirrors
JDM Projector Fog Lights
JDM Flush Door Trim

Zues Marine 10-08-2010 11:56 AM

Upgrades

'90-'98 Auto Transmission ‘Power Mode’ Mod ('99+ Important Info!)- Enable the TCU to use a different shift map making the transmission much more responsive and fun to drive at the cost of 1-2 MPG.
Coil Pack Upgrade –(*Important Info!) Provide a more complete combustion with a powerful spark in your ignition system which translates into more power and better MPG.
WRX Brake Swap – increase braking power with 2pot calipers and larger, 11.5” diameter rotors from the Impreza WRX
Outback H6 Rear Brake Swap - Note: OEM 05-09 LGT Rotors are ventilated and wider, providing an extra boost to this upgrade (290x10mm vs 290x18mm)
Rear Wiper Upgrade - A stylish new look for the wagon's rear wiper

Do It Yourself Guides

Carbon Fiber Gauge Face
Fogs on w/ Parking Lights
Independant Fog Lights
HVAC Bulb Change
Power Steering Pump Rebuild
Gauge Cluster Color Change
Adding Projectors to OEM 2 Piece Housings
or..Request a DIY guide and i'll try to find it

Reserved...

subikid90 10-08-2010 08:39 PM

You need a whole JDMness section lol. Nice list!

WESTcoast 10-08-2010 09:25 PM

great list man, I would like to help add some stuff such as sterring wheel selection and to add/change the seating, wrx changed its seats for the 04-09 models, they look just like the sti ones but they are all black same direct bolt on like all the other subaru seats. I will have these installed next week and I can take a picture for you.

Can you make a Steering wheel section as people would might like to upgrade to wrx steering wheels or sti steering wheels or even the jdm steering wheel if u can find the clock spring for it.

Canyonero 10-08-2010 10:09 PM

make this a sticky!!!!!

Zues Marine 10-09-2010 12:43 AM

yeah, im doing everything but this is what i have so far.. im building it in Word and just copy-pasting onto here.. so more stuff will be coming

Lookatmyrust 10-09-2010 11:18 AM

this is awsome... add a brake section!! and tire faq. and links to the other stickys. also add a bulb guide. and more piggy back options

98quiksilvergt 10-09-2010 12:03 PM

Great job bro!! All those strut tower braces fit? I will need to change my rear strut mount studs to longer ones. I have the 3/8 spacers on there. I thought I was looking at 100 each for those bars!!! You are the man dude!

DelawareBlueHen724 10-09-2010 02:55 PM

I gotta find someone who will make a cold air intake for me. As far as exhaust im definately getting those hi flow cats and borla replica headers. Really gotta make that boxer engine rumble

Canyonero 10-09-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelawareBlueHen724 (Post 3123657)
I gotta find someone who will make a cold air intake for me. As far as exhaust im definately getting those hi flow cats and borla replica headers. Really gotta make that boxer engine rumble

Cosmoracing.com has cold air intakes for our cars. you might have fitment issues from what i heard on this board though.

98quiksilvergt 10-09-2010 11:04 PM

Just ordered me some strut bars!!!!

Baddog 10-10-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canyonero (Post 3123674)
Cosmoracing.com has cold air intakes for our cars. you might have fitment issues from what i heard on this board though.

I would go with SRI. Idk if CAI would be better for our 2.2 N/A engines.

Canyonero 10-10-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baddog (Post 3124109)
I would go with SRI. Idk if CAI would be better for our 2.2 N/A engines.

im running the 2.5 in my outback wagon but i'm running a K&N drop in filter which is working out great so far. but i do intend to upgrade to a short ram....