Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Paint bubbling, rust forming.... (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146335)

rockford33 09-25-2010 08:20 PM

Paint bubbling, rust forming....

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet. I have an 05 GT, 77k miles. The paint is starting to bubble on the rear quarter panel, right at the seam where it meets that little lower piece (that is just above the side skirt). Took it to a body shop today to get an estimate, which was $1000 to cosmetically fix it (basically get down to metal, some corrosion protection, re-paint and re-clear). Guy said it may last for another couple of years, but the inner and outer fender have separated and the rust is forming inside. He said the proper way to fix it would be to have the entire rear quarter panel replaced, but didn't give me a quote for that (I can only imagine how much $$$). He honestly told me I would probably be better off selling the car in the spring before the rust got too bad.

Not sure what to do. I love my car (I like the style much better than the new body) and I haven't had a car payment for years. Anyone else have this happen and did you get it fixed and how? I don't want to cover up the problem, but it didn't sound like an easy fix at all.

Thanks,
Neil

king_j 09-25-2010 08:24 PM

some body shops can weld a new piece of metal where they do the body work. this should save money on replacing the whole rear quarter panel.
theres not much else that can be done about rust.

rockford33 09-25-2010 08:29 PM

the shop I went to mentioned that, but he also noted that it would be difficult to get the lines correct in this location, and that welding in a patch introduced other problems. He didn't elaborate what the "other" problems might be though. I might go and get a second opinion, but the place I went to is a top notch body shop in the area.

king_j 09-25-2010 08:47 PM

i would get at least 3 different shops to look at it.

Bdubs 09-26-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_j (Post 3106821)
i would get at least 3 different shops to look at it.

I agree. Perhaps this guy just didn't want to put that much effort into the repair, because it truly is a decent amount of work.

It's nice to know Subaru is now going 4 generations strong, where every car rusts in that exact same spot.

DeltaSniper 09-26-2010 09:40 AM

I am conducting an "experiment" in which I would remove the bumper slightly every 6 months and powerwash the crap out of that area.... It makes sense but I am not sure if it will help inhibit rust...

laz 09-26-2010 09:48 AM

You got any pics. It will help.

X

2005legacy2.5i 09-26-2010 10:15 AM

Doesn't Subaru have a rust warranty? Something like 5 years unlimited miles

cypher0117 09-26-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005legacy2.5i (Post 3107189)
Doesn't Subaru have a rust warranty? Something like 5 years unlimited miles

Does that apply to all areas? I have a small spot on the roof of my car that I just noticed was starting to bubble. Right now its probably the size of a nickel but the quote I got to fix it was $1400! Seems a bit high for such a small spot.

2005legacy2.5i 09-26-2010 10:40 AM

I have no idea, I read it somewhere on here. Call your dealership to check.

DeltaSniper 09-26-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cypher0117 (Post 3107204)
Does that apply to all areas? I have a small spot on the roof of my car that I just noticed was starting to bubble. Right now its probably the size of a nickel but the quote I got to fix it was $1400! Seems a bit high for such a small spot.

Thats way to high, but I can see why....

Normally bodyshops dont blend on the roof since its hard to make it blend properly, when doing roof repairs they usually end up painting the whole roof.

But that being said.... I got my entire roof resprayed for 350 dollars and its better than factory IMO...

brilliant sleeper 09-26-2010 11:20 AM

^ You had to get your 2010 Legacy resprayed? or are you talking about another car?

adolan21 09-26-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockford33 (Post 3106800)
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet. I have an 05 GT, 77k miles. The paint is starting to bubble on the rear quarter panel, right at the seam where it meets that little lower piece (that is just above the side skirt). Took it to a body shop today to get an estimate, which was $1000 to cosmetically fix it (basically get down to metal, some corrosion protection, re-paint and re-clear). Guy said it may last for another couple of years, but the inner and outer fender have separated and the rust is forming inside. He said the proper way to fix it would be to have the entire rear quarter panel replaced, but didn't give me a quote for that (I can only imagine how much $$$). He honestly told me I would probably be better off selling the car in the spring before the rust got too bad.

Not sure what to do. I love my car (I like the style much better than the new body) and I haven't had a car payment for years. Anyone else have this happen and did you get it fixed and how? I don't want to cover up the problem, but it didn't sound like an easy fix at all.

Thanks,
Neil

That's strange I have the same problem in the same location. At first I thought it was from an accident that didn't show up on the carfax or the dealer never mentioned. At least mine hasn't started rusting yet. I'll have to keep an eye on it during the winter with all the salt.

DeltaSniper 09-26-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brilliant sleeper (Post 3107233)
^ You had to get your 2010 Legacy resprayed? or are you talking about another car?

My 2010 Legacy.... some enormous bird shit landed on my roof and baked on for about 6-8 hours while I was at work and caused the clearcoat to crack...

Now I go out and check on my car at lunch to make sure it doesnt happen again.

Kodax 09-26-2010 12:47 PM

Is this a common problem? I don't want my beloved Subaru to be rusting as well. :(

Any pictures will be appreciated.