Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Opinions stg3 on build (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143962)

Strizzy 08-20-2010 04:43 PM

Opinions on stg3 build

Here is the breakdown on the engine build:

EJ25 shortblock
STI nitrated crank
ACL Race bearings
99.5mm CP pistons
Manley rods
11mm STI oil pump, shimmed
KillerB oil pickup
KillerB windage tray
ARP Head Studs
OEM Gaskets
ATP GTX 3076R (now with .82A/R T31 turbine housing)
ID2000 Injectors
Aeromotive 340 in-tank feed pump (hardwired)
Radium Engineering fuel surge tank with dual DW300's
-6AN PTFE fuel lines
Aeroquip fittings
Magna Fuel adjustable FPR
Agency Power fuel rails and lines
Tomei EL Headers
Turbosmart Hyper-Gate 45 external waste gate
Tomei 252 cams
Supertech standard sized valves: Inconel exhaust; standard intake
Race port and polished heads
Tune for E85
Cobb Speed Density
Modified 2.5i NA aluminum intake manifold
AEM 5-bar MAP sensor
AEM IAT sensor
Synapse Synchronic BOV
AVO FMIC
DIY TGV deletes
Grimmspeed 8mm phenolic spacers
GroupN motor mounts, pitch stop, and trans mount
ACT unsprung 6-puck clutch pn: sb10-hdr6
Ultimate Racing rotated exhaust and intake piping
Perrin mid/y & Prodrive mufflers
Mishimoto radiator

Suspension/Handling Mods:

STI helical front LSD
Cobb front & rear sway bars
AST 4100 coilovers
Whiteline front LCA bushings
Whiteline rear diff busing inserts

TiC holy shift kit
TiC transmission crossmember bushings

StopTech BBK 328x28 4-pot front, 328x28 2-pot rear
ProjectMu lines

:spin::spin::spin::spin:

Big shout out and THANK YOU to Six Star Motorsports in Schaumburg, IL for getting this beast put together and running properly.

DuveyB 08-20-2010 06:15 PM

hows that front lsd?, id say go with the 20g if its a highway car

Strizzy 08-21-2010 08:19 AM

I absolutely love the front LSD. It is the best mod I have done to the car so far (even better than stage 2). It completely transformed how the car handled and cornered in a very good way. I don't know why Subaru didn't do it in the first place.

John M 08-21-2010 02:59 PM

A 20g should be the smallest turbo you'd consider on a built 2.5 liter engine. Lag won't be a concern and power production will be much improved.

Strizzy 08-23-2010 10:25 PM

Parts have been ordered and I'm looking at about 2 weeks for the built block to ready for install.
I opted out of getting headers for now and am going with a newly developed 20g which gets its own housing, rather than being stuffed into a vf40. I will be the second person to have it, but first to run it on E85. They are estimating just right around 400whp with this turbo on stock headers :eek:.

Overall, I am actually under the cost I was expecting to spend on this little build. Now, I'm just trying to talk myself out of getting cams... :spin:

TRSCobra 08-23-2010 10:33 PM

Who makes this new 20g you speak of?

Strizzy 08-23-2010 10:59 PM

Currently not even on the market, yet. Very soon though. Once everything is up and running I'll give the name.

joeblow 08-24-2010 07:42 AM

What kind of boost are you going to be running with this turbo? Any thoughts on an external waste gate set up?

RIPjeep2002 08-24-2010 08:14 AM

ewg ftw

executor485 08-24-2010 08:45 AM

GT 35-R... Go big or go home, lol

Cant wait to see the new setup. In for pics
:needpics:

Strizzy 08-24-2010 09:27 AM

Not sure what I'll be running for boost; that will be for my tuner to figure out, as it will be his E85 tune with this turbo. I think he is more excited about tuning it for E85 than I am to get this project completed. He was literally jumping up and down. He tuned the new 18g (same company as the 20g I'm getting) that put down around 340whp on pump gas at I think 18psi (or it could have been 20).

No ewg for me, as this will be my DD and don't want to go too crazy with it. At the most, I'll do headers within the year. But who knows, maybe I will eventually do an ewg plumbed back into the DP (I don't want to be a loud attention whore).

GT35R: maybe if I went front mount and went with a stroker (which I really wanted to do, but the cost just wasn't justifiable).

joeblow 08-24-2010 11:56 AM

EWG or not, I can't wait to see the outcome and some matching dyno charts

Strizzy 09-21-2010 07:04 PM

Update: I dropped the car off to my builder today, as all parts are in and the motor is scheduled to be back from the machine shop tomorrow morning. Tear down will start tomorrow along with the shortblock being assembled. Everything is expected to be mostly installed by the end of this week. Then next week it gets its initial break-in on the dyno. After that, I will be taking it a bit easy with just a base map, then going balls out on an E85 tune.
I'm still debating on getting headers. My tuner is saying I am looking at about more 50-60 tq with headers running E. But I'm not liking the price of the ones I like. If I go with the headers, I will be selling my DAMD steering wheel I have on order from the group buy.

Pics will be added if I find time to drop by the shop during the install.

johnAWD 09-21-2010 07:14 PM

With the internals you are putting in, your power goals are going to be easy. I'm on a 100% stock longblock and stock "headers" and crossover, and have been making 400+ with e85 for a couple of years. Currently using a gt30 and 816cc injectors. With my daily driver. :)

I'd consider something a bit more in the turbo department - the 1000c injectors are going to have considerable headroom, and with more airflow you could be making 425-450 with that setup. Easily...

If your budget allows, bolt up an aftermarket header. If you go after more power, I'd go with a FMIC.

$0.02 worth.

njwrestler07 09-21-2010 08:27 PM

how much was all of it? and what is front lsd, sorry im kind of new here