Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Issues after Turbo install (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141341)

Gravet 07-11-2010 09:11 AM

Issues after Turbo install

Finished up my BNR 18g turbo install and I'm experiencing some problems come startup.

Installed:
BNR 18g Turbo
650 Injectors
DIY 73 mm air intake
one step colder plugs
Perrin TMIC
Currently have Infamous' base tune flashed
Used 08 STI fuel pump

The car turns over and starts. After a few touches at 1000 rpms it sputters to a stop. I can give it throttle at initial startup and reached 2200-2500 rpms but then instantly sputters and stops. It seems to be having a real problem holding idle. To me this seems like a fuel issue.

Here are two things I ran into during the install that may or may not be part of the problem.

My injectors don't seem to seat as "deep" as the stockers. They're sealed and the car does fire and run. I'm seeing no leaking around them. I did a little research on this site and numerous users simply pushed them in as far as possible then utilized the bracket to seal them. Just a thought but I don't think it's an issue.

The fuel pump is what I think may be the issue. It's a used pump from an unknown seller. I actually installed the pump last week and have been driving on it since them (prior to my turbo install). I did notice a little sputtering under idle during my week before the big install (completed yesterday).

I may have answered my own question and it is the fuel pump but I was hoping for a few more thoughts. I was holding off talking to infamous because I highly doubt it has anything to do with it.

I'm going to put my old stock pump back in to see if it fixes the problem. I'll then order a Wal if it's the solution.

Whatdaya thing?

atc5 07-11-2010 09:42 AM

any cels?

yea, old pump first and check your injectors again. maybe remove and re-install them for extra assurance that they are in and oriented correctly.

were the injectors bought new or used?

Gravet 07-11-2010 09:46 AM

The injectors were purchased from a guy on this site upgrading to bigger ones. He had bought them new from deatschwerks and never installed them. They were still in their sealed plastic and looked brand new when I installed them.

No cels.

Gravet 07-11-2010 10:47 AM

Sigh.

Swapped back to my original fuel pump that I know works fine and the car is doing the same thing.

Any ideas? This is frustrating.

Gravet 07-11-2010 11:52 AM

Swapped back to my Stage 2 tune and the exact same thing is happening.

If I don't touch the gas, this is exactly what happens:

Turn the key to "On", gauges sweep and all necessary lights come on.

When I crank it over it has that typical rev like startup. Fires up to 1200-1500 then starts to drop back down.

If you notice, when you start your car, it take the gauges a few sec to "catch up". After that initial rev up the gauges catch up right around the time the idle settles in. It's at this point, the car shuts down.

So.
I turn key.
Car revs up to 1200.
Then shuts off.

If I work at it, I can keep in on for a few additional secs by giving it gas. I can't keep it longer than maybe 5 secs.

HALP!!!!

dudeondacouch 07-11-2010 11:59 AM

you disconnected the green guys right?

dudeondacouch 07-11-2010 12:04 PM

also, i assume you purged the rails before switching injectors. are you sure you put the fuel pump fuse back correctly?

TPLGT 07-11-2010 12:11 PM

GL...in for fix.

Gravet 07-11-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeondacouch (Post 3016513)
also, i assume you purged the rails before switching injectors. are you sure you put the fuel pump fuse back correctly?

Greens are disconnected.

I did purge the system. I'm assuming cycling the fuel pump a few times (turning key on and off) pressurizes the system? Hell, at this point I've had the car on and off so many times, fuel must be reaching.

Fuse is in correctly. It's not doing the same thing it does when you pull the fuse. It starts every time. Unfortunately, it also stop every time.

Thanks for the brainstorm.

dudeondacouch 07-11-2010 12:26 PM

have someone else start it and listen to the engine bay for air. if that stuff isn't the issue, i suspect a vacuum leak.

torinalth 07-11-2010 12:31 PM

while it IS running, does it run smooth, or is it all rocky?

you DID flash to the new map (made for your injectors) before doing all this right?

if its just dieing after a few moments then I'd re-flash to the new map and see what happens. If the pump worked fine before the turbo install then I'd say that probably is not the problem: side note, is the 08 STI pump larger? thought they were all the same.....

IF the idle is really rough during the short time it is actually running then I'd bet you dont have a coil pack on correctly. I had a problem getting the front passenger pack on the plug. once I fixed that I stopped running rough and stopped stalling at idle.

recap:
if rough, check coil packs again
reflash map (maybe look at the scaling to make sure they made the changes)
any more info?

T

Gravet 07-11-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torinalth (Post 3016558)
while it IS running, does it run smooth, or is it all rocky?

you DID flash to the new map (made for your injectors) before doing all this right?

if its just dieing after a few moments then I'd re-flash to the new map and see what happens. If the pump worked fine before the turbo install then I'd say that probably is not the problem: side note, is the 08 STI pump larger? thought they were all the same.....

IF the idle is really rough during the short time it is actually running then I'd bet you dont have a coil pack on correctly. I had a problem getting the front passenger pack on the plug. once I fixed that I stopped running rough and stopped stalling at idle.

recap:
if rough, check coil packs again
reflash map (maybe look at the scaling to make sure they made the changes)
any more info?

T

I'll check the coils. I definitely re-flashed after I did all the mods.

Let me run through My reflash procedure.

Plugged in greens.
Hooked up OBD cord to car and computer.
Ran ECUflash.
First I asked it to read my ECU.
It then did the whole, turn to "ON" and press ok.
ECUflash read my ECU and I then saved that to my desktop.
I then did a test flash on my infamousbase tune.
I then wrote the infamous tune to my ECU.
No problems.
I then exited ECUflash and unplugged UBD cable.
I then unplugged greens.

I then turned car to "on" and waited 20 secs. (Side note - I didn't get any chimes at this stage)

I then started car and got what you see in the previous posts.

dudeondacouch 07-11-2010 01:03 PM

not everyone gets chimes.

i still say your next step should be to check for a vacuum leak. the BPV hose on the T-connector under the intercooler is notorious for this.

Gravet 07-11-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeondacouch (Post 3016550)
have someone else start it and listen to the engine bay for air. if that stuff isn't the issue, i suspect a vacuum leak.

This reminded me...

In regards to the vacuum lines that run to the turbo. I bought a 1 mm welding tip from HD. The welding tip is too large to fit in the stock vacuum tubes so I bought larger inner diameter line. Keeping in mind that stuffing an object in this line will still yield a 1 mm hole, it should be fine. Right?. I also had to replace some of this line because it was cracking. If I somehow screwed something up within these lines, would that be a very good reason for the problem I'm having?

dudeondacouch 07-11-2010 01:04 PM

yes, if you have the lines on the EBCS improperly, it will cause issues. how are they ran now?