Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   road salt coming thru back door fixed window seal (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131994)

lilgrinch 02-27-2010 11:34 AM

road salt coming thru back door fixed window seal

3 Attachment(s)
Hey people, I just bought a 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5. in November 09. I have noticed a white residue that I determined to be road salt forming on the inside bottom of the rear doors' fixed windows. When I took it for a service, I asked the service mngr to check it out. He said it was the first time he has heard of such problem. When I came back to pick it up, he said he did not notice anything. I took him to the car and showed him and he said he would order a new window and would contact me when it came in. 2 weeks went by so I called him back and he said he hasn't seen it yet. I called Subaru Customer service in New Jersey and asked if there was a known problem. After going over the problem with him, he said he would contact the dealer. He got back with me and said if the dealer replaced the windows they would not be able to get reimbursed thru Subaru due to the fact that the windows were not broken or defective. I was told the dealer would contact me the next day for a possible solution. The SM called me and said basically what the rep said. He told me the regional rep would contact me.(1 week ago) I asked for the regional rep's name and e-mail and he refused to give it to me. I haven't heard anything back yet and I am getting frustrated. Anybody else having these issues?

BobGee 02-27-2010 11:57 AM

I had the same crap growing on mine also!

I thought it was due to the water the tinter used to apply my window tint. But you don't have window tint...

Mine was a A LOT less than yours and slightly yellow tho. I thought it looked like calcium build up you get with hard water. I don't know how the road salt could possibly get inside the car like that..

I removed it with a q-tip and a can of air.

Edit: Awww crap.. I just checked out my back windows and the crud is back.. I just cleaned the crud off 1 or 2 days ago.. This stuff grows FAST.. This is really annoying.. Until we know what it is it's going to be hard to get it to stop growing..

keeferb 02-27-2010 01:26 PM

Just went and checked ours...yep we've got it too. Pisses me off even more because I just had it in to the dealer this week for the transmission re-flash. It does look like road salt, but I'm not positive that's what it is. I've got 2 toddlers that ride back there and I don't them rubbing their fingers on it and then putting it in their mouths.

lilgrinch 02-27-2010 02:27 PM

I took a sample of it and i know it sounds gross but i tasted it. It is definitly salt. Do you live where they use salt on the roads?
My concern is down the road in a couple of years what the result of the salt will have on the door itself. I am calling the Subaru Customer service the beginning of the week and see what else i can do about it. The SM at the dealership told me it was the first time sombody complained about it, but the Subaru CS told me the SM said there were several complaints.

keeferb 02-27-2010 02:38 PM

I live in WI so we have plenty of road salt. I have no idea how it could get there though. The other thought that I had was that it could be dried soap from the car wash...indicating a leak somewhere in the window. But I see no signs of a leak and I don't know if soap would taste salty(thanks for taste-testing). This is a head-scratcher.

esswun 02-27-2010 02:49 PM

Mine had that too on the same windows. I also thought it was something from the tint so I just wiped it off. Haven't been back there in a while but I'm going to check for more of it. Yes, we have salt here in Michigan. This is kind of weird.

lilgrinch 02-27-2010 02:59 PM

I am sorry to say I'm relieved I am not alone! When I talk to Subaru CS, I will mention this website and blog.I am in Ohio and we have been getting nailed with snow all winter. Car handles it well though.

ifly61ce 02-27-2010 03:17 PM

I also have it on the right side only and just a very little bit, would have never noticed it if not for this thread.

BobGee 02-27-2010 03:29 PM

I just hope whatever is growing is not also growing on the inside of the door and it's just at the edge pf the window seal. I say growing because that's what it looks like to me.. mold growing..

If it is salt where would it be coming from?

The air?

Pushed up from the ground into the door out the seal? Seems soo unlikely that would be happening from looking at the bottom of the door.

Why is it only targeting that small area?

lilgrinch 02-27-2010 03:55 PM

Theory - moisture carrying the salt hits the outside of the window, drips down, pools in the channel/frame that the window sits in, and comes up the inside. Splashes up the inside.
As to the small area, is the window design new?
I offered a possible solution to the SM. Take the window out of the molding and put a bead of silacone along the bottom of the window and put it all back together. He refused to do it because he wouldn't get paid.

joeblow 02-27-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgrinch (Post 2847894)
As to the small area, is the window design new?

Definitely a new design. Up until 2010, there was no framing on the top side of the window. The little traingular window is fixed to the body and doesn't open with the door.

DeltaSniper 02-27-2010 05:14 PM

i dont think i have this problem

FrozenNorthLGT 02-27-2010 05:51 PM

It sure looks like salt. Anyone that has it and is wondering, just taste a little of it to see. It's rock salt, a lick wont kill you. If it is indeed salt as it seems, and it were me, I wouldn't settle the matter until it was no longer getting in there. Its not just messy, its going to cause serious problems down the road. Other than the obvious problems with salt and rust, think about everything in the door. Window motors, switches will corrode, even the mechanism that works the door handles could be damaged. Sounds like a SERIOUS problem to me. :eek: I'm shocked at the reaction Subaru seems to have about this...watch for "body integrity" scores to plummet in CR....

idmd 02-27-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenNorthLGT (Post 2847970)
Sounds like a SERIOUS problem to me. :eek: I'm shocked at the reaction Subaru seems to have about this...watch for "body integrity" scores to plummet in CR....

Sigh...hardly a SERIOUS problem. When you roll the windows down and it's raining or there is snow on window I guarantee water and whatever else is on that window, to some degree or another, ends up INSIDE the door on EVERY car. I know this is the fixed window but before everyone starts crying that the doors are going to rust off and everything electrical is going to fail everyone needs a chillaxative.

First someone has to figure out how it's getting there. Does anyone drive with their windows open, could this be from water or run off that splashes on the window when the door is open, etc, etc. Little rubber gaskets around the window are not rocket science. Then someone has to determine IF this is actually a problem. If it is, you'll see a fix.

I'm starting to see a pattern on this forum. It's a group of enthusiasts who nit pick there cars and can't wait to cry SERIOUS problem. When someone at Subaru doesn't tell you what you want to hear it's a coverup and you can't believe they're doing nothing. Sometimes they just need enough cases to be able to determine if there is a problem and what the problem is. You maybe some of the first people to have this problem since you're some of the first people to buy this car. There is nothing evil or sinister about SA. Be patient!

I just drive the friggin thing and enjoy it. Every problem I've had has been fixed. Even the ones that people on this forum said they'd never would fix.

Wild Bill 02-27-2010 06:24 PM

Just checked tonight, I've got a little bit at the base of both windows.