Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Third Generation Legacy (1999 - 2004) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Difference between GT and L models (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127723)

Etter157 12-26-2009 11:43 AM

Difference between GT and L models

I was looking into a third gen (possibly second gen) LGT, but I'm having trouble finding one with a manual tranny. I found a L model and I'm just wondering the difference between them. I understand that the second gen L models have a 2.2 liter 4cyl vs. the GT 2.5 liter. For the third gen, both are fitted with the 2.5L. Are there just ascetic differences or are there changes in performace, suspension, brakes, handling, etc...

Thanks in advance

rougeben83 12-26-2009 02:20 PM

aesthetically outside, the foglights but those are available as an option on any model, the spoiler as well. Wheels differ, as do the front brake rotor size. There's also leather trim and the rear LSD the L's didn't have.

-asakura 12-26-2009 08:25 PM

I think the only notable difference is the rear LSD.

My L has fog lights and I think it has GT wheels as well.

quicklook2 12-26-2009 09:14 PM

gt is lower.

2000-2003 gt and L have 2.5.

the stupid way this site lists years causes misunderstandings like this.

Etter157 12-26-2009 09:40 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like a L model will do just fine. Nothing a few mods can't take care of.

-asakura 12-27-2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etter157 (Post 2760577)
Thanks for the input guys. Seems like a L model will do just fine. Nothing a few mods can't take care of.

My thoughts exactly ;)

quicklook2 12-27-2009 11:57 AM

i drove a 2000 L and a 2000 gt limited.

the gt limited was a way better looking and better balanced vehicle.

it felt more expensive.

so i bought it.

rougeben83 12-28-2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicklook2 (Post 2760564)
gt is lower.

2000-2003 gt and L have 2.5.

the stupid way this site lists years causes misunderstandings like this.

The 2.5 was the only engine for all L's and GT's 00-04, they never had another engine choice in the US. The Outbacks could be had with the H6. Maybe in the 00-02 the suspensions were slightly different but in the 03-04 years the BE/BH chassis were pretty much being phased out as 03 was the last year of that chassis in Japan so they had the same swaybar combination (21mm f/15mm r like on my 03 L) and I have a sneaking suspicion the L and GT's just got whatever strut/spring package subaru had left in the parts bin.

Perhaps the feeling of being more luxurious is why the GT is about 150lbs heavier than the L.

The nitty gritty details per year can be seen here: http://www.cars101.com/legacy.html

quicklook2 12-28-2009 10:17 AM

the gt limited is way more vehicle then the l model.

if you read that article then you should know that.

rougeben83 12-28-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicklook2 (Post 2761626)
the gt limited is way more vehicle then the l model.

if you read that article then you should know that.

I don't understand why youre getting defensive, the extras on the GT are just small accesories.

I changed the fake woodgrain trim on my SE as soon as I got it, made a world of difference. The extra speakers and stereo (which are still crap IMO, compared to decent aftermarket speakers and headunits), extra warmers, leather, etc I and a lot of other people can certainly do without.

What I listed were the mechanical upgrades on the GT that really matter to me, and theyre not that many; rear LSD and WRX-sized front brakes. The swaybars, struts, springs, all vary by year and there is not any substantial difference among them that would keep me from upgrading them to aftermarket pieces to begin with (which I have). Hell, the Outback received a way bigger rear swaybar than either L or GT model (18mm), and that piece is probably one of the most noticeably upgrades you can do to a stock USDM BE/BH.

I understand you personally liked the GT more than the L but there is no reason to put down the lower trim. Theyre still both Legacy's.

-asakura 12-28-2009 11:45 AM

And both would seem to be very much the same with only small difference in the form of extras.

And from reading all that I think I got myself an L Special Edition, haha.

rougeben83 12-28-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -asakura (Post 2761703)
And both would seem to be very much the same with only small difference in the form of extras.

And from reading all that I think I got myself an L Special Edition, haha.

If your 03 has snowflake 16" wheels, sunroof, foglights, and fake woodtrim on the dash, odds are it is, like mine :)

quicklook2 12-28-2009 08:36 PM

"the extras on the GT are just small accesories."

if you say so.

i do not agree with you.

glad you all are happy with your L models.

i am happy with my gt limited.

rougeben83 12-28-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicklook2 (Post 2762252)
"the extras on the GT are just small accesories."

if you say so.

i do not agree with you.

glad you all are happy with your L models.

i am happy with my gt limited.

Your argument is like when Civic EX owners get all high and mighty on Civic LX/DX owners. It's just a trim level, there's nothing special about the USDM BE/BH models, unlike the limited-run stuff the Japanese market had nor the significant drivetrain difference between GT and 2.5i in the 4th and 5th gen Legacy's. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. At the end of the day we're all still driving the same basic car.

I'm happy with my "L"; the underpinnings of it are basically a bastard WRX/STI now, with parts from Nissan, Infinity, Mitsubishi, Chevy, Ford, all thrown in; so suffice to say I'd rather have this than some piddly, stock GT. :lol:

-asakura 12-28-2009 11:03 PM

Hey now, to each their own.

Just because we don't think the things that separate the L and GT are significant doesn't mean they aren't to someone else.