Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Felt safer in my Prelude (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126688)

lewism2 12-09-2009 08:47 AM

Felt safer in my Prelude

We just had our first snowfall ( Toronto ). It was fairly bad but I did not feel at all comfortable driving my LGT. I expected more from an AWD car that has been equipped with brand new Hankook iPike winter tires. I've felt safer in worse conditions driving my 2000 Prelude with summer tires on. At no time was I ever going to get stuck in the snow but the car handled quite poorly. I've gone through severe winter weather with lots of snow on the ground driving Preludes, Legends and 2 rear wheel drive Corolla GTS's. All felt much safer with better handling. I've also never installed snows before now. I didn't think I'd have to drive wayyyyyyyy slower than with my other cars.
Not bashing the car. I still love it but I'm at a loss to believe this is what I can expect in winter weather. One of the big reasons I got the LGT is because it's AWD and expected better winter performance, much better, than my previous cars

Rutchard 12-09-2009 09:01 AM

Dunno man, I drove through some really shitty winter weather on Friday with no problem on snow tires. I was terrified that one of the other asshats on the road might lose control, but the LGT was stable.

Give it some time and you'll get more confidence in your new AWD

lewism2 12-09-2009 09:06 AM

I hope so but the car was twisting out there and getting pulled into the snow rather than taking control and driving through it or out of it easily.

f1anatic 12-09-2009 09:10 AM

If you thought AWD can break the rules of physics, newsflash - they don't.
THAT being said, I have a loaner 2009 Impreza 2.5i autotragic and it feels very insecure in snow/slush compared to my LGT with no stability control. I put it down to tires and/or LSD. On the Impreza, the stability control did not even engage, yet the rear end was sliding around.

lewism2 12-09-2009 09:17 AM

If by break the rules of physics you mean perform better than rear wheel drive cars with summer tires then yes, I did expect that. Maybe its the tires but that seems hard to imagine.

f1anatic 12-09-2009 09:24 AM

You state you already have winter tires. It may well be that the ground surface was frozen or almost frozen and no winter tire will help on ice. But yes, the car's spin-control system seems to me that is not working. Another point of reference was the 09 Forester. This one is a manual but felt safer than the aforementioned Impreza, in the same conditions as last night - drove them back to back, different reasons. Nevertheless, the newer cars don't inspire that much confidence. Honestly I can only think of the LSD as the difference.

SuBiElOvEr 12-09-2009 09:29 AM

traction control light ever come on while you were getting pulled into snow drifts?

I hauled ass this morning on my Blizzak LM60s and new suspension. Car was an animal. Even stopped by a parking lot and did a little spirited circle track driving, driving my traction control and ABS absolutely nutz!!!!

lewism2 12-09-2009 09:30 AM

I was on the highway this morning with lots of traffic so I was lucky if I got into 3rd gear. This sort of traffic is common with this weather and I've driven it a million times with many othe cars. I decided, with the way the car was handling, to get off the highway and take back streets home so I didn't slow things down even more and avoid hitting anyone

lewism2 12-09-2009 09:31 AM

Nope, no lights came on. Should it

lewism2 12-09-2009 09:32 AM

I'll take the car out to an empty parking lot and do a test. Thanks!

emilbus 12-09-2009 09:34 AM

I'm in Syracuse, NY and we just had some snow/slush/sleet Early this morning.
I just got back from trying to find some good times and everything was cleared up..... except for two "seasonal use roads" or whatever they call them- NO WINTER MAINTENANCE.
There were recent tire tracks so I could tell someone had been up there but the N/A legacy drove perfect. It turned wherever I pointed it, only spun when I wanted it too and even took off from dead stops without spinning at all.
I'd say the snow was a few inches because my undercarriage was scraping about 1/2 of the time but the car drove well and I was very confident in it.
I'm running on the stock Yokohama tires too!

f1anatic 12-09-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuBiElOvEr (Post 2737419)
traction control light ever come on while you were getting pulled into snow drifts?

I hauled ass this morning on my Blizzak LM60s and new suspension. Car was an animal. Even stopped by a parking lot and did a little spirited circle track driving, driving my traction control and ABS absolutely nutz!!!!

Well on mine it did not light up; I am curious about the OP's case.

And NO you do not wanna terrorize your TCS/SCS/ABS crazy. Do yourself a favor and turn it off.

lewism2 12-09-2009 09:36 AM

From a dead stop the car takes off great. No wheel spin or twisting but while driving the car is being pulled around by small levels of snow that inferior traction cars are handling

Fishbulb 12-09-2009 10:24 AM

How long have you been driving on the new winter tires? All new tires need atleast 400 to 500 miles to drive off the mold release compound that covers the tire when new. This compound is slippery so if the tires have less then 500 miles on them that could be the issue.

leggy10 12-09-2009 10:24 AM

sounds like a personal issue. my car did great in the snow the other day. sometimes, especially on my 08 impreza, it felt like the back end wanted to slide, but it always corrected itself. just takes a little getting used to. build some confidence in the car and im sure you'll be fine