Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2010 Legacy Owners - N/A or Turbo? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122844)

W1CKED 10-15-2009 10:42 AM

2010 Legacy Owners - N/A or Turbo?

Fellow Legacy Owners...more specifically, 2010+ Legacy Owners...
If you have a 2010+ Legacy, please annotate in the poll if you have a N/A or Turbo.

I'm curious as to why more people are getting the N/A 2010+ Legacy, (which it would appear to me). Is it because the CVT is only offered in the N/A models? Gas prices? Overall vehicle price? I'm just curious, as it would seem that the trend from 2005-2009 was to get the turbo model.

Thank you for your time...

(Yes...I did a search prior to posting this...you know how many threads come up if you look for "turbo", "N/A", or any combination of the 2...:eek:)

leggy10 10-15-2009 12:08 PM

2010 2.5 premium here. i got the n/a because it was 5k less than the turbo. cvt sucks as well, i got 6spd in mine

JC10LEGACYGT 10-15-2009 12:19 PM

I like both the V6 and the Turbo...just decided on the Turbo because I like boosting. =P Both is a great car..not sure too much about the n/a 4.

leggy10 10-15-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC10LEGACYGT (Post 2663542)
I like both the V6 and the Turbo...just decided on the Turbo because I like boosting. =P Both is a great car..not sure too much about the n/a 4.

power is adequate but no one will be racin for slips with it thats for sure lol:p

5thGen 10-15-2009 12:59 PM

I got a 2.5i limited because I still have a WRX and didn't want another car that needed premium gas plus the hit on the mpg the other models had. If the 3.6 came with the CVT though and it got the same 3 mpg boost the 2.5 did I would have gone for that for sure. The mpg would have been good enough and the extra power while still using regular gas would have been nice. The only issue with premium is paying the extra cost gets old after a while especially when the prices were really jacked up.

unclemat 10-15-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC10LEGACYGT (Post 2663542)

Yup, the V6 boxer is awesome.

HanGmaN 10-15-2009 03:24 PM

turbo was out of the budget, took the N/A to the dear for some warrenty work and found a GT Limited (fully loaded; nav. leather heated ect.) for 32k. i bought my 2.5i limited for 25k; 27,300 after taxes. GT would have been 34,000ish!

legacy360 10-15-2009 03:29 PM

I got the N/A because of my current budget. By no means have I ruled out the want for a GT, whether it's the 2010 GT though...I'm not sure.

2010Legacy 10-15-2009 04:09 PM

N/A because better mpg, regular unleaded, & less maintenance

omegamunky 10-15-2009 08:11 PM

2.5i CVT....company car, so no turbo option

mark30pwr 10-15-2009 09:20 PM

I test drove all three models 2.5i with CVT, 3.6R and GT.

I come from a WRX with performance mods - the 2.5i just didn't cut it. Did not come anywhere near to meeting my desire for power.

The GT was a disappointment to me - I test drove it and it didn't excite me - I had expected more performance. For the extra money of premium gas and more frequent service interval, the car would need to exite me. I wan't interested in putting much effort or money into modifications.

I test drove the 3.6R and found it to be the most satisfactory. Power was good (I still want more :), lower fuel cost and longer service intervals compared to the GT were pluses, plus I wanted to switch to automatic transmission for a change, which is the way of the luxury sedan market.

If the GT had 300 hp and came in an automatic with all the luxuries, I probably would have went for it, especially if it offered more control over the AWD system like the STI offers.

So far, the car that I've enjoyed driving the most was the BMW 338xi. Its twin turbo with automatic transmission (with sport mode) and great suspension felt very nice. Its high price tag and high repair and maintenance costs (low reliability) made me look for a better overall option. I also enjoyed the Infinity G37x automatic, but didn't like how the all-wheel drive system worked and didn't like that its rear seats (4 door sedan) wouldn't fold forward (plus it's priced too high). After the Legacy, my second choice would have probably been the Infinity. I also tested the 2010 Ford Fusion AWD top-f-the-line model, but it felt sluggish to me. I considered the Audi's but the price was too high and reliability too low.

I found Subaru to be the best overall car to meet my needs. I would have liked the additional features that the Japanese market Legacy has - push button start, radar-controlled cruise control, and headlight washers.

I hope that there will be an easy way to re-program the 3.6R for more power (e.g., an automatic sport mode) without the need for hardware mods.

scoobydoobie 10-15-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 2663668)
Yup, the V6 boxer is awesome.

hah, was just about to say something about the "V6"

SoldonSubie 10-15-2009 10:13 PM

Had an 05 OBXT 5MT and before that an 01, 4EAT 2.5i OB.

Wanted the MT, turbo combo again and it was time to move the OBXT. My options were limited (awd, MT) and my main reason for the LGT was the MT/AWD/Turbo combo.

Love the car so far.

Oh, one of the "sales consultants" at the dealer tried to steer me in the direction of one of the rare v6 legacy sedans but I respectfully declined.

unclemat 10-15-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoldonSubie (Post 2664506)
Had an 05 OBXT 5MT and before that an 01, 4EAT 2.5i OB.

Wanted the MT, turbo combo again and it was time to move the OBXT. My options were limited (awd, MT) and my main reason for the LGT was the MT/AWD/Turbo combo.

Love the car so far.

Oh, one of the "sales consultants" at the dealer tried to steer me in the direction of one of the rare v6 legacy sedans but I respectfully declined.

Yup, these are the rarest.

Highway Star 10-16-2009 01:47 AM

I just picked up my 2.5i Limited yesterday. It's my first foray into SubaruLand. I wanted a midsize sedan with auto and good gas mileage. Subaru was actually the last car we tested and only because we figured it couldn't hurt.

I've had several sport hatchbacks and sedans over the years. Every car I've owned has been a MT (same for my wife). I'm just getting older and want to simply drive with out having to shift all the time.

The CVT was one of the selling points for the Legacy. I know most of you die-hard shifters would roll your eyes. I would have not too long ago. But after other four cylinder AT cars, I realized I hated the way they all down shifted and spun up the engines to high rpms. The CVT isn't as binary. It allows a more fluid adjustment of RPMs, often with a lower increase. The Accord would jump from under 2K to over 4K all at once. Nothing in between.

I've gotten over my buyers remorse surprisingly quickly. I traded in a 2000 Maxima SE with MT for this. It was a great driving car and still looked great inside and out. I was tired of spending $600-$1000 every year to get a $3000 car to pass emissions.