Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intake and Exhaust (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Relief from catless DP stench, finally! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121365)

GTTuner 09-24-2009 05:58 PM

Relief from catless DP stench, finally!

1 Attachment(s)
Fumes constantly. Whenever any window is open and I peg the boost gauge. Even when the car was new I'd get cat stench at times inside. Anyone else suffer from this? I read it all the time in here. This worked so good for me so I had to share it. The only time I smell my exhaust now is when I get out. Fumes are gone. Almost 100%.
Go in the trunk and find these vents/exhausters. One on both sides behind the trunk liner. To my knowledge, their main purpose is to vent the cabin when the doors shut. Seal the bastards off. I used a sheet of asphalt/dynamat type of material and just layed it over the opening. No more passengers bitching about headaches too! :lol:

ClimberD@HexMods 09-27-2009 09:50 PM

Awesome!

mwiener2 09-27-2009 10:06 PM

those are supposed to be a pressure relief, for both doors and the HVAC. When you put the system on re-circ, the cabin pressure is neutral. When you have it set to fresh air, the cabin pressure is positive. You have to have a place for the air to go, and that's what those vents are for.

You'll probably notice a drop in heater performance come winter.

GTTuner 09-28-2009 01:06 PM

I know, I'll crack a window open and save the CO poisoning for later. :lol:

It was raining the other day and the defroster worked perfect.

ClimberD@HexMods 09-28-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTTuner (Post 2637156)

Paul you could move to TX and never use your heater again :)

But cops use the stalker laser gun on the highways here :( very expensive to jam, can't see them at night either... but other than that!

GEE-OTTO 09-29-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTTuner (Post 2637156)

Neat idea did you try only one at first ? or both ? I only ask b/c I have a buddy with the same issue after a custom Flow Master exhaust and catless DP and this could help

GTTuner 09-29-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO (Post 2638368)
Neat idea did you try only one at first ? or both ? I only ask b/c I have a buddy with the same issue after a custom Flow Master exhaust and catless DP and this could help

Both sides. :) It works, try it, you can always pull it off if you don't like it.

toomanytoyz 03-30-2011 06:42 AM

Ok, so I'm having this fume issue... I went to pull the side panels yesterday and couldn't see how it came apart in my wagon...? Is it all snap-clips or are there fasteners somewhere? Could someone give me a few tips please?

TIA!

ClimberD@HexMods 03-30-2011 10:33 AM

In the wagon there are a couple screwdriver screws/bolts hidden under plastic caps.

CousinLarry 11-10-2011 06:38 AM

I know this thread is a couple years old, but THANK YOU GTTuner!!!

I recently went stage 2 with cat-less DP. I was pretty certain I didn't have an exhaust leak - but when driving with any windows open even just a crack it would fill the car with nasty fumes.. I was pretty sure the vacuum of opening a window was sucking exhaust in from somewhere - but couldn't find it.

I found this thread last night and yelled "BINGO!"

I pulled the mat back, and went one step further than you. I pulled those vents out completely leaving just a gaping hole there.. I used plastic film and duct tape to completely seal that hole off on both sides.

Went to work today, got on the highway and cracked the sunroof - SUCCESS!!!! No more smell!! Thank you very much! You saved me some aggravation of trying to find a non-existing exhaust leak!!

:D

GTTuner 11-12-2011 07:17 AM

I'm here to help, I'm glad it worked for you. You have no idea how crazy this made me figuiring this out. I was passing out one day from CO exposure and I stopped somewhere and open the trunk. Owww, the smell was strong.

Breath easy now Larry!

PlaxPhoto 11-16-2011 01:42 AM

i love that smell. im wierd

Brunex 10-31-2012 06:17 PM

And I also thought I had a exhaust leak! Thank you!!

paganing 01-01-2013 02:26 PM

Anybody knows if the 2008 has the same vents in the trunk. I check it and there is only the lights hole. I am having trouble with fumes with the new downpipe and catback setup

mwiener2 01-01-2013 09:48 PM

Why don't you guys try putting catalytic converters on your cars.