Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Warranty Issues & Problems (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   cylinder #4 misfire (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120496)

tjbev21 09-12-2009 05:05 PM

cylinder #4 misfire

ok so about a month ago i threw a cel for a misfire... cleared it and nothing came back so i really didnt think anything of it. now 31 days later i get another cel for a misfire in cylinder 4... cleared the code and now 2 days later still no code??? what should be my first step... spark plugs, injectors, or coil packs?

McDowell Performance Tuning 09-12-2009 11:46 PM

if you are unlucky, like me, it will end up being a burn valve...I would suggest swapping your #4 injector with your #2 to see if you get the 0302 code. Then you can at least know if it's the injectors. Changing the plugs are a pain in the ass.

McDowell Performance Tuning 09-12-2009 11:52 PM

not to freak you out, but I had simillar symptoms, but with cylinder #2. I changed the injectors, plugs, and had the coils inspected, but everything was fine and I kept getting the 0302 code...which was finally diagosed as burnt valve. (5psi compression in that cylinder)

tjbev21 09-13-2009 03:37 PM

Yea I was thinkin of doin the injector swap... But its weird I'm not gettin the code continuously, its now day 4 after I reset the code and it still hasn't came back... Which injector is 4?

McDowell Performance Tuning 09-14-2009 12:03 AM

2&4 are on the drivers side. #4 is rear injector. I also went for a while without throwing a code. But, it became more consistant and my car was running very rough.

McDowell Performance Tuning 09-14-2009 12:08 AM

It's pretty easy to do. Just pull the fuel pump fuse start the car and let it run until it dies. Then crank the engine over a few times to release the pressure in the injector, otherwise you'll get sprayed with gas when you pull the injector out and then disconnect the battery to be safe. I'm sure there is a walkthrough in the forum. I't has a hex type screw so phillips or flat head drivers won't work

McDowell Performance Tuning 09-14-2009 12:17 AM

By the way, how many miles do you have on your car? You might just need to run a bottle of lucas injector cleaner during your next fill-up. It actually does a pretty good job.

tjbev21 09-14-2009 12:26 AM

I'm at about 75k... Yea ill give the lucas a try and go from there... Thanks man... Just the lucas injector cleaner?

McDowell Performance Tuning 09-15-2009 12:16 AM

yep, should be around $5-8 depending on where you buy it

derffred 09-18-2009 04:23 PM

Hm, I've been having a misfire issue on my 05 LGT. Engine seems to run okay, full boost (stage 2), a little shaky at idle but not bad at all. Check engine light comes on randomly with codes for cylinders 2 and 4. I've replaced spark plugs twice, swapped coil packs around, checked wiring, checked vacuum lines, etc. Any ideas?

tjbev21 09-18-2009 08:02 PM

your issue is probably a injector as well..

derffred 09-18-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjbev21 (Post 2624903)
your issue is probably a injector as well..

but why would the two fault codes occur at the same exact time together?

tjbev21 09-18-2009 08:11 PM

no idea... im still tryin to figure that out myself... 2 bad injectors maybe? lol thats wat sucks about misfires, it could be a handful of things that caused the problem

oppamen 09-19-2009 12:51 AM

What engine light came on the dash? My was having rough idle when I first started my car and check light, VDC and cruise control light would be on. My car would shake really bad for about a mile and stop shaking. I took it into dealer and they told me that I had misfire on my #1 plug but they couldnt duplicate the shake. So they just left it alone. It already did this 5 times but there was only 1 time the light stayed on. Other times, the ligh would go off as soon as the car stopped shaking.

McDowell Performance Tuning 09-21-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derffred (Post 2624904)
but why would the two fault codes occur at the same exact time together?

Sounds like the OCV on the drivers side (#2 & #4 cylinders) could be the problem. It's a pretty easy fix. Other than that, you could have a compression test done to see if you have a burnt valve. That's what happened to my car. I should get it back tomorrow.