Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Roof rack on 2010 Legacy? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119900)

pix0r 09-03-2009 03:40 PM

Roof rack on 2010 Legacy?

So, one of the reasons I chose the Subaru over other sedans was that I thought they all had roof racks available. I just picked up my 2010 Legacy and find that there's no factory rack and Thule/Yakima also don't have any non-permanent racks that fit it. I need the rack to haul around surfboards, bikes and snowboards, so unfortunately it's a pretty big necessity of mine.

I haven't been able to find any photos of the 2010 Legacy with a roof rack, has anyone done this? Can anyone recommend any specific brands or styles that would work or look better with the car?

Am I completely ruining my car by drilling into the roof to install a permanent roof rack? :eek:

mattg 09-03-2009 03:49 PM

Were Yakima or Thule able to give you an ETA on availability for '10 Legacy?

D0WNxSH1FT 09-03-2009 04:00 PM

The car just came out. Give Thule and Yakima some time to design a system for them. The previous Gen Legacy did not come w/ an OEM roof rack either.

2010Legacy 09-03-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT (Post 2606246)
The car just came out. Give Thule and Yakima some time to design a system for them. The previous Gen Legacy did not come w/ an OEM roof rack either.

HAHA.... and we are already upgrading.....once the mod bug bites you, it is hard to recover...:p

HanGmaN 09-04-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010Legacy (Post 2606394)
HAHA.... and we are already upgrading.....once the mod bug bites you, it is hard to recover...:p

i concur, i am also in the market for the roof rack.. their websites have a section for the 2010's, but are still unavailable at the time i checked

pix0r 09-08-2009 09:55 AM

Sorry if I sounded like I was complaining.. I guess I was a bit, but yeah, I should have really done my research. Either way I love the car and can't wait to take it up to the mountains this winter.

I emailed Thule and Yakima for an ETA and I'll post if/when I get a response. There are some rack shops out here that will do permanent installs - drilling into your roof and placing mounts for the roof rack towers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HanGmaN (Post 2606835)
i concur, i am also in the market for the roof rack.. their websites have a section for the 2010's, but are still unavailable at the time i checked

Where did you find that?

HanGmaN 09-08-2009 02:03 PM

^^ I typed In roof rack in google and it too me to a site that had about 4 different types of manufacturers that make roof racks... Thule, Yakima, and 2 more; it took me to thier websites.

I muster checked again and they only have the outback tab( which was still unavailable)

SnowBound BP5 09-09-2009 12:08 AM

Get in touch with Inno Racks (www.innoracks.com) and see if they've already got all the measurements done since they're usually ahead of the game.

rick2010 09-15-2009 06:41 PM

I looks like there are parts listed by Yakima for the 2010 Legacy

At least Yakima is listing part numbers for the 2010 Legacy

http://www.yakima.com/

Rick

legacy360 09-15-2009 07:25 PM

Looks like they have it all figure out, Yakima that is. Be interested to see how much longer before Thule comes out with something.

pix0r 09-15-2009 07:40 PM

Nice! Although apparently these Yakima towers are designed to fit most cars - looks like all they did was confirm that they fit the 2010 Legacy.

Thule still hasn't responded to my email so I'll probably be going w/ the Yakima rack.

HanGmaN 10-21-2009 04:59 PM

some one asked about the roof rack on the pics thread, didnt want to get off topic...

the distance from bar to bar is 32 inches, and the q5 clips are needed to install them. and they seem to be leveled with on another so if one was to put a cargo box, i dont think it would put too much stress on the bars. all the info is on Yakima.com.

linderlinder 10-24-2009 07:59 PM

We just went to Rackattack (rackattack.com) near Boston with our new 2010 Legcy. Quote was about $800 for rails installed, towers, bars and locks + a ski rack.

The website has a bunch of videos with good images of all the different options.

Rackattack really wants us to come to them so they can get some photos for their website of a legacy with their stuff on it....which is fun. We're still shopping around to see if we will get the 4 points permanently affixed or if we get the track rails and the completely removeable thule or yakima accessories.

hmmmmmmmm - I just WANT an OEM version...

HanGmaN 10-25-2009 01:43 AM

I actually looked under the black trim onthe roof and found nothing like what a WRX has to mount them. kinda dissapointed, but if they were to weld something on permanently to the car, I figure it will be too expensive. the Yakima system I have on mine works great so far.

legacy360 11-01-2009 08:52 PM

Just installed my Yakima system today. It took about two hours or so. Pretty much the same setup that hangman's got. Q5 clips, towers, and all. A little bit of added road noise, but with the fairing it help cut down on any noises.

One pain though is that if you want to lock down the fairing, you have to get two separate lock adapters, then the lock cores, quickly adding up the $70 for the locking mechanism for a $70 part. At least I know that nothing's gonna get stolen when I go up to the mountain.

BRING THE SNOW!

I'll post some pix this week of the setup.