Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Question...is E85 bad for engine? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111877)

bbjones121 05-07-2009 09:09 PM

Question...is E85 bad for engine?

So I am about to get tuned for E85 in my LGT and I started to read about the differences between normal gas cars and E85 cars. Looks like do not put magnesium, aluminum and rubber parts in the fuel system. It is also conductive, so they use additional methods for preventing arcing in the fuel system and tank.

So my question is. Does our car have any magnesium, aluminum and rubber parts in the fuel system? If so, doesn't that mean that something bad will happen eventually? Is there any worry about a fire or something from arcing in the fuel system? Thanks.

Ryandigi 05-07-2009 10:12 PM

Big thread over on nasioc.com....pretty much they could not get anything in subaru's fuel system to degrade from the e85. Have not heard about the arcing??? I can not wait to move back to TX and get protuned for the good stuff...I would say go for it and start saving money for an upgraded clutch ;)

TacitBlue 05-08-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjones121 (Post 2443992)
So I am about to get tuned for E85 in my LGT and I started to read about the differences between normal gas cars and E85 cars. Looks like do not put magnesium, aluminum and rubber parts in the fuel system. It is also conductive, so they use additional methods for preventing arcing in the fuel system and tank.

So my question is. Does our car have any magnesium, aluminum and rubber parts in the fuel system? If so, doesn't that mean that something bad will happen eventually? Is there any worry about a fire or something from arcing in the fuel system? Thanks.

In all honesty, the more I look at getting an E85 tune, the more I see potential reasons not to. There is plastic in the fuel system, only I don't know what engineering spec of plastic those parts are. Rubber o-rings in the fuel pump. The fuel pump 'bucket' itself is plastic (I think glass filled nylon). The float in the gas tank is plastc as well. There is plastic and rubber all throughout the fuel system. I don't know to what spec they are built to, but there is tons of plastic in there. . .

Then there are rumors about the summer blend and winter blend E85 being different blends which could cause issues...

coxx 05-08-2009 09:05 AM

no reason to bother with E85 at all

Legend 05-08-2009 09:10 AM

No, E85 is not bad for the engine. It's good for it. It's fine for the fuel system too, as far as anyone can tell. You will find your answers on the mammoth thread on nasioc. I had the pleasure of meeting and working with hotrod, the E85 guru, the last couple days. The man knows his stuff and he also moderates e85forum.com. Lots of good info there too.

Since you are in Colorado (oxygen-starved high alt), drive a easily tunable turbo car, have E85 readily available, and are going stage 3, you'd be borderline foolish not to get an E85 tune. You could get a gas tune too, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to get the E85 tune.

bbjones121 05-08-2009 09:13 AM

Plastics are no issue at all. I am guessing it is only certain types of rubber also because someone did a test on a gasket and it did not cause any problems.

bbjones121 05-08-2009 09:17 AM

Yeah I am already scheduled for both tunes. I was just curious. I would run e85 ocasionally I just wanted to know if it was okay to run it all the time. Plus if e85 had any negative impacts on cars not otherwise made for it, then why would they blend so much of it into normal gas?

coxx 05-08-2009 09:20 AM

when there is no more E85 in a few years your ethanol tunes will be useless :lol:

mattg 05-08-2009 10:04 AM

I'm sure there are people out there that got a tune and won't even have their car in a few years.

your contribution to this thread is useless. :lol:

coxx 05-08-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg (Post 2444599)
I'm sure there are people out there that got a tune and won't even have their car in a few years.

your contribution to this thread is useless. :lol:

fair enough I guess. I work in this business & I know they're kinda deading the whole E85 thing so I figured I'd offer my opinion

mattg 05-08-2009 10:25 AM

I know where you're coming from.

grocery getter 05-08-2009 10:27 AM

Or you can go qith a 100 or 105 octane tune - I know two places in Denver that sell them ;)

GTTuner 05-08-2009 10:33 AM

I can't comment for Subaru but when I was with Chrysler all the flex fuel cars had unique o rings, rails, injectors, lines and pumps. They also used a unique engine oil for E85 use.:confused: Chrysler told us E85 was extremely corrosive to certain components.

mattg 05-08-2009 10:43 AM

what the hell does Chrysler know? "Unique" injectors makes sense...

fishbone 05-08-2009 10:59 AM

No danger posed whatsoever assuming you already have the fuel system to support it, but kinda useless without a tune to take advantage of the higher octane rating.
I plan on going the E85 route at some point in time. There are 4 pumps in Lincoln alone that offer it. Matter of fact PDX made it pretty plain the gains from E85 in terms of power would be substantial when compared to regular 91 or 92 premium. It's cheaper than Sunoco 100 so E85 FTW.

That being said, I'd probably have my AP and a regular premium realtime map at the ready at ALL times.