Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Legacy Photos (2005-2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Head Lights (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102)

B4_Maniac 06-20-2004 07:54 PM

Head Lights

3 Attachment(s)
Someone wanted me to post pics of the head lights at night to see the beam patterns..sorry just getting around to doing it.

Th3Franz 06-20-2004 08:05 PM

So.. where's the beam pattern pic?

Bananaairsoft 06-20-2004 08:10 PM

Not very bright, aren't they..............

7stars 06-20-2004 08:22 PM

take it with the flash off. and point the team towards a flat wall/garage door.

bobert486 06-20-2004 11:40 PM

for my summer job i work at a volvo audi porsche dealership and their company also owns a subie dealership.....along w/ a bunch more. anyway, point is sometimes i go down to their warehouse and "inspect" their cars. well. there was a legacy wagon w/ the keys in it. so i played around and flciked the headlights on. yes, the bulbs arent the best, but oh my goodness. the beam pattern was really precise and crisp unlike non-projectors. it shined a nice horizon of even light beam rather than the normal blob or patch of undirected light. i was impressed. It just needs some better bulbs, pattern is great though.

CombatCQB 06-20-2004 11:56 PM

Can we say PIAA?

Ken S 06-21-2004 12:17 PM

Philips Vision Plus -- best halogen upgrade without all the fake HID-look garbage.

Ken

7stars 06-21-2004 12:46 PM

I saw Silverstars for $36 at walmart. Unbelievable. Sylvania xtravision is great as well. I believe it was overboost who did a lighting test and found that PIAA's were no better than a no name brand. The 80w+ may melt your wires as well.

gtguy 06-21-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken S
Philips Vision Plus -- best halogen upgrade without all the fake HID-look garbage.

Ken

What Ken said. USDM Silverstars are blue-tinted, and less effective than Osram (Euro-spec) Silverstars. XtraVisions are better than Silverstars. The other thing is that the GT takes an H7 bulb, so before you pick a favorite bulb, be sure it comes in H7.

Kevin

agctr 06-22-2004 01:30 AM

As soon as I take deliverey, I will be slotting in Aftermarket HID, it looks great and still puzzled why Fuji are putting them in as stock.

Drift Monkey 06-22-2004 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agctr
As soon as I take deliverey, I will be slotting in Aftermarket HID, it looks great and still puzzled why Fuji are putting them in as stock.

Cost cutting. It keeps the overall price of the vehicle down.

CombatCQB 06-22-2004 08:58 AM

I have mixed experience with silverstars. A bunch of people I know installed them in their Mz6s and they all burnt out within 3 months. The silverstars in my dad's mustang runs flawlessly.

I've seen PIAAs for about $55 and they're just fine in my book. I'll check out the xtravision when I get a chance.

PeteNJ 06-22-2004 10:01 AM

I wonder if the halogen projector lense assembly is exactly the same as it's HID OEM counterpart? Maybe one of the JDM members knows this?

gtguy 06-22-2004 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteNJ
I wonder if the halogen projector lense assembly is exactly the same as it's HID OEM counterpart? Maybe one of the JDM members knows this?

Good question, but no real reason that it wouldn't be. It's simple enough to just change the bulb. Economies of scale are what Subaru is after, so they try to keep things as similar as possible across all the lines.

Kevin

PeteNJ 06-22-2004 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtguy
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteNJ

Good question, but no real reason that it wouldn't be. It's simple enough to just change the bulb. Economies of scale are what Subaru is after, so they try to keep things as similar as possible across all the lines.

Kevin

Yes it does make sense. However, I know the STi and WRX/RS headlight reflector assemblies have different patterns to accomodate the 2 different forms of lighting. Of course those are reflector assemblies and not projectors. Isnt there a new law in the US that all new cars equipped with HID will have to have "self levelers" to prevent problems with oncoming traffic?