Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crucial Racing Systems, Inc. (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   HID Lighting Kits for $95!?!?! YES!!! From us :-) (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105799)

Crucial Racing 02-11-2009 12:16 PM

HID Lighting Kits for $95!?!?! YES!!! From us :-)

www.CrucialRacing.com/products/hid.php

^^^ info and ordering on the site!

Cliff's Notes: Legit, quality HID kits from us. $95. :dm: :woowoo:

http://www.crucialracing.com/images/HID1thumb.jpg

Jeremy

absolutsnwbrdr 02-11-2009 12:19 PM

hmmm.... tempting....

tbssubaru 02-11-2009 08:05 PM

i'm a little slow, so what do i need if i want to get brighter lights and retain low and high beam function on my 2005 gt wagon ?

PeterJMC 02-11-2009 08:34 PM

What is the warranty on your kits?

absolutsnwbrdr 02-12-2009 07:07 AM

where are these kits made?

Crucial Racing 02-12-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbssubaru (Post 2298541)
i'm a little slow, so what do i need if i want to get brighter lights and retain low and high beam function on my 2005 gt wagon ?

Some cars have a single bulb that does both high and low beam, but your Legacy GT has a separate bulb for low beam and high beam. Low beams are H7 bulbs and high beams are 9005 bulbs. If you wanted HID's, you would want to purchase an H7 kit and that's it. That will replace your low beam bulbs and make your low beams HID. Your high beams will still be the OEM halogen 9005 bulbs.

You really don't want HID for your high beams if you have a separate bulb for it. HID takes a few seconds to warm up, and it's not good for it to be turned on and off quickly, repeatedly (they work like flourescent lights). Since you tend to use your brights on-and-off or use them to flash on/off very quickly at people to warn them of something, HID's are not a good choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjmc
What is the warranty on your kits?

They actually carry a lifetime warranty. That's on the electronics. Bulbs don't carry a lifetime warranty because obviously they have a certain hour expected lifetime (which is so much longer than halogen bulbs that it will, in all likelyhood, last the life of the car but it's still a 'wear-and-tear' item).

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutesnwbrdr
where are these kits made?

They're made by a company that makes some of the expensive, brand name HID kits out there. We're getting them unbranded... saves mad $$$ :cool:

Jeremy

bnguyenbb6 02-13-2009 09:58 PM

You can remove this comment if it interferes with your marketing but they look exactly like my DDM HID's except the ballasts are silver and say HID instead of DDM.

I've been very happy with my 55w 5000k DDM HID's and just thought people would appreciate knowing what they are buying.

rice_rocket 02-13-2009 10:16 PM

Don't mean to rain on the parade.. but the thoughts were that the HID's with the dual ballast/plug setup were the "older" and "not as good". Looks to me your set has the main ballast, a smaller capacitor unit, then the bulb. Maybe you should confirm?

987687 02-14-2009 10:45 AM

So you said that they weren't for high beams because you always turn them on and off. What about for my '96 legacy which uses the same bulb for both? I have always been a bit confused how high/low HIDs work. Is it one bulb that is always on, with a solenoid type thing that moves the bulb back and forth?
I see on the site that there is the H4 dual-beam (I think my car is H4...) for $30 more. (Which seems fair if it has added mechanism)

One more question... The head lights are pretty pathetic compared to the new subarus (maybe it has to do with the single bulb for both). Will HIDs significantly increase the performance of the stock lights, or would I be better off getting, say JDM light which have projectors and getting HIDs for that.

Thanks for your time!

Crucial Racing 02-16-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rice_rocket (Post 2303400)
Don't mean to rain on the parade.. but the thoughts were that the HID's with the dual ballast/plug setup were the "older" and "not as good". Looks to me your set has the main ballast, a smaller capacitor unit, then the bulb. Maybe you should confirm?

That was never my impression of it. Back in the day it seemed that they were always in one unit, and them companies like McCulloch and other big names started separating the ballasts and the ignitors. I'm not sure why that's preferable, but their marketing claimed it was a better way to do things and most companies are doing it that way now. Obviously it would be cheaper and easier to put all of the electronics into a single housing. If that was the best way to do it, everyone would just do it that way. But separating the ballast and the ignitor is how the most expensive HID brands do it (maybe for heat or interference reasons?) and that is how ours does it. I believe that it's either better this way, or it really doesn't much matter. But just thinking about it rationally, if it wasn't better you'd expect to see them all in a single housing since it would be cheaper than having two separate housings and the associated wiring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 987687
So you said that they weren't for high beams because you always turn them on and off. What about for my '96 legacy which uses the same bulb for both? I have always been a bit confused how high/low HIDs work. Is it one bulb that is always on, with a solenoid type thing that moves the bulb back and forth?
I see on the site that there is the H4 dual-beam (I think my car is H4...) for $30 more. (Which seems fair if it has added mechanism)

Okay there seems to be A LOT of confusion about this hi/beam thing.

If your car has two headlight bulbs, one for the low beams and one for the high beams, you do not want a dual beam HID kit and you don't want to replace both of these bulbs. You replace ONLY your low beam bulbs. HID is a poor choice for a bulb that does high beam only.

Now, if your car has a single headlight bulb (like in 987687's case) and you want HID then you have no choice but to replace that one bulb. You can either get a single beam bulb for it and that means you will have low beams all of the time and no option for a high beam at all (but your lows will obviously be significantly brighter than they used to be), or you can get a dual beam hi/low HID kit for it. These kits either use a solenoid/motor to actually move the entire bulb when you select high beams, or they move a shield that covers part of the bulb. The OEM bulb has two filaments in it, and they are in different locations inside of the bulb. The reason the light moves higher when you select high beams is because the light source moves in the bulb, which moves where it is in the reflector of your headlight, which changes the angle at which the light comes out of your headlight and might make it more focused, etc, at the same time. The HID bulb doesn't have a filament (it's like a flourescent bulb), so it will move the bulb up/down/in/out to create the same effect, or will move a shield to create the same hi beam effect.

....and yeah, the added mechanics & electronics are what makes it more expensive...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 987687
One more question... The head lights are pretty pathetic compared to the new subarus (maybe it has to do with the single bulb for both). Will HIDs significantly increase the performance of the stock lights, or would I be better off getting, say JDM light which have projectors and getting HIDs for that.

Yeah I have a '98 Legacy and the headlights were TERRIBLE!!! Even with the brights on I would completely outdrive the headlights at like 35 mph :lol:. I ended up getting Morettes, which are AWESOME, and after a couple years put an HID kit in those and now it's like driving in a baseball stadium :cool:. HID's in the OEM headlights will certainly help you see stuff in front of you, but they're very poorly designed lights and it might be a touch bright for other traffic. Basically, the light coming out of those headlights is extremely diffuse so there will be glare for oncoming cars. All the 2000+ Subaru's are much better about that, and I have seen HID kits in bugeye WRX's and the other newer WRX models and in 05+ Legacys and it's just fine. But on your car I'd be slightly more hesitant but I still think you can get away with it because of how low the car is... less likely to annoy people badly enough that they flash their brights at you :lol:. You may just have to angle the lights downwards just a little more than they are now if it's that bad.

JDM projectors look awesome in the Legacy, and would DEFINITELY give a better light output that didn't have glare because they cut a straight line of light across the horizon instead of being diffuse. The only issue is that they're made for RHD cars that drive on the other side of the road. So the little "flip" of light that, on USDM projectors (like my Morettes) goes up and to the right (off the side of the road), will go up and to the left (towards oncoming traffic) and might get in the eyes of oncoming traffic a bit. That's a concern with JDM lights whether or not you have HID's. Most people don't find that anybody notices, but it's something to think about and at least read reviews of, etc.

HID in my Legacy's Morettes:

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/p...1144751252.jpg

Jeremy

987687 02-17-2009 09:04 PM

Thanks a lot for the info! I'm pricing my options.

Shamus 02-19-2009 06:12 AM

Is that 5 to 7 days for delivery? Or 5 to 7 days before you ship them out?

Any idea where I could find some sort of shield so I can limit the blinding of oncoming traffic? I had HIDs in my bugeye and I could never find some type of shield.

Crucial Racing 02-19-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamus (Post 2312803)
Is that 5 to 7 days for delivery? Or 5 to 7 days before you ship them out?

5 to 7 days before we ship them out. We don't stock the bulbs here, because there are soooo many options (154 to be exact... 22 bulb types times 7 color temp choices). So when we get an order we inform our manufacturer, and about once a week they'll send us a package with all of the bulbs that we need. As soon as that arrives, we package them up and ship them to you guys, either via "free shipping" or "Priority Mail" depending on which option you choose during checkout on the website.

Sorry there's that delay. I'd love to stock them here but HID kits aren't our specialty/concentration so the investment to have one or two of each possible option in stock would just be too huge.

Quote:

Any idea where I could find some sort of shield so I can limit the blinding of oncoming traffic? I had HIDs in my bugeye and I could never find some type of shield.
Hmmm, not really. Not unless you wanted to fashion one yourself. However, the headlights of the 05+ Legacy are WAY better than the bugeye headlights. The bugeye ones are very poor and put out a lot of diffuse light in all directions including upwards, and therefore have lot of glare with an HID kit. The newer LGT ones cut a much cleaner line of light across the top and are significantly better suited for HID use than the 02/03 WRX ones are.

Jeremy

rony 02-19-2009 10:40 AM

I ordered, I will try them out.. :)

At $100, I will take a risk! :eek:

Joking! :wub:

Crucial Racing 02-19-2009 10:51 AM

Thanks for the order?

:p ;)

...[serious] good work staying away from the ricey color temps :cool:...

Jeremy