LegacyGT.com

Rear hatch does not pop open

Hello all, I am about to go buy a 1990 Legacy automatic AWD wagon that has 145K miles. If the car looks good, I am going to buy it.

From all the reviews I have read, it seems like a good, solid, reliable car. It is a west coast car so I am assuming no rust. It is $900.00. I think this is a good deal. It has newer tires and a new battery.

The owner says the rear hatch does not pop open. Just wondering if there is a way to manually pop it from inside the car. Also any tips on how or where I would look to be able to fix it?

Anyway, wish me luck and hopefully, in a few hours, I will be back with my new(old) Legacy!

The handle spring has probably busted for the hatch. You will need a new assembly, for about $20.

The only way to get it open is to remove the interior panel and fiddle with the mechanism.

The handle spring has probably busted for the hatch. You will need a new assembly, for about $20.

The only way to get it open is to remove the interior panel and fiddle with the mechanism.

Thanks! I figured that out last night..... Where is a good place to go get/order such a thing?

Junkyard! :)

There is also a plastic washer/clip that can bust that attaches the handle to the pull mechanism that opens the latch. To completely remove the latch assembly it is necessary to cut the sensor wires that indicate the hatch ajar light. There isn't a way as far as I know to unclip the sensor from the assembly without breaking it in my experience.

Your wagon sounds like a great find! Cheap and bulletproof, especialy with the low miles. Welcome to the site and post a pic of your leggy when you get a chance.

Junkyard! :)

There is also a plastic washer/clip that can bust that attaches the handle to the pull mechanism that opens the latch. To completely remove the latch assembly it is necessary to cut the sensor wires that indicate the hatch ajar light. There isn't a way as far as I know to unclip the sensor from the assembly without breaking it in my experience.

Your wagon sounds like a great find! Cheap and bulletproof, especialy with the low miles. Welcome to the site and post a pic of your leggy when you get a chance.

Thanks, will do...... I think that if I were able to find a couple of jam nuts for both sides and drill out the threaded part of that handle, I could slip the new latch, female drilled out slightly larger part over the threaded shaft and lock it with the jam nuts on either side. I will have to get the piece and give it a look.

I also noticed there is water/coolant leaking by the driver front corner of the oil pan by the water pump. At first, I thought it might be a head gasket when I noticed it in the parking lot coming out of the store. When I put it up in the air, I was able to see it is leaking from the water pump.

I am assuming that is a big job since it is right by the timing belt????

Could be the water pump gasket leaking, loose hose clamp, or a leaky hose. If its the water pump gasket then removing the timing belt is the easiest way to replace it. If the leak isn't bad just keep an eye on the coolant level and top it off every now and then.

Archived