LegacyGT.com

2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5gt - Rattling Noise Under Car

parado25

I have a 2003 Legacy 2.5GT with about 75000km and a K&N air filter. Just recently I've been noticing a rattling noise coming from under the car whenever the rpm is around or above 3000. Does anyone know how to rid the rattling noise I'm experiencing? Could it be something loose underneath?

Thanks.

I am just about to put my lady up on the lift as I too have a metallic buzz/rattle when around 3-3500k. I have a feeling it is the heat shield over the midpipe that is loos after a uppipe/downpipe install a few weeks ago. Where is it coming from and is it metallic? might be exhaust...

It is definately the heat shield. It is very common on the BEs and almost always happens around the 3k rpm mark. I just cut mine off.

Weird, I joined this forum a long time ago but this is my first post.

• 4 years later...
From what I've gathered, heat sheild rattles can be fixed by simply getting a $2 stainless steel clamp from Home Depot or someplace (the kind one would use on a clothes dryer vent hose) and wrapping it around the loose shield. That's what I'm trying tomorrow. Removing it does not sound like a very safe idea to me.

• 3 weeks later...
What is actually the purpose of the heat shields? I had that annoying rattling noise and just removed the covers (I assume they were heat shields) from the exhaust ducts. Can anyone tell me what the disadvantage/problems of driving without those covers is?

Its SO simple you answerd your own question. it is a HEAT SHIELD. it helps absorb and reflect heat away from the cab and well the drive shaft is right above it

disadvantages: increased floor/cab temps (could be useful in the winter) possible melting of things that were once hidden (doubtful though)

I fixed mine with 4 metal screws and air powered drill, even easier than taking it all off!

Its SO simple you answerd your own question. it is a HEAT SHIELD. it helps absorb and reflect heat away from the cab and well the drive shaft is right above it

disadvantages: increased floor/cab temps (could be useful in the winter) possible melting of things that were once hidden (doubtful though)

I fixed mine with 4 metal screws and air powered drill, even easier than taking it all off!

Thanks for the answer. I think (or at least I hope) there's nothing superfluous on Subaru cars. Although even mechanics in the Subaru garage didn't oppose my removing the heat shields along with a turbo shield. Anyway the annoying rattling noise was eliminated forever!

Hi everyone. had my car just under a year now. havnt had that many issues with it except for very loose inspection plate on the crossmember. when i had that fixed i got another sound which is like a rattling sound and as far as i can tell it doesnt occur when idle but when moving it occurs at the 3000rpm mark.

good chance its heat pipe?

also at 70 kph in 5th gear (manual transmission) 2.5i there is like a deep 'huming' sound. could this also be linked to the heat shield?

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have this cluttering noise that I am trying to figure out what is causing it... The noise is coming from front Passenger side... sounds kind a link a coin in a tin while i am accelerating between 10 mph to 60 mph... after that it's fine...

Also, I do have a humming noise at the back rear tire... which i have been told it's the tire.. it has a hump? in the middle.. the noise usually comes when i am at high speed...

Thanks everyone. please help

Archived