LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen Transmission FAQ - Maintenance - Differentials - 5MT - 6MT - 4EAT

• I Donated

Transmission FAQ

Here in this thread you will find important information regarding second generation Legacy transmissions and different performance options that are available.

Disclaimer:

The information in the following posts is believed to be acurate and correct. The author(s) can not be held responsible for any advise in these guides. Please exercise common sense while working on your vehicle and never hesitate to ask questions if you're unsure of anything.
Edited by broknindarkagain

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated

Maintenance

4EAT

Fluid Type : Dexron III

Total Capacity : 10 Quarts

Refill Capacity : 2.6 Quarts

Service Interval : 30,000 miles

Serviceable Filter : YES

5MT

Fluid Type: Subaru Special S 75W-90 GL5

Capacity : 3.7 Quarts

Serviceable Filter : NO

6MT

Capacity : 4.3 Quarts

Serviceable Filter : NO

Front Differential (4EAT ONLY)

Fluid Capacity : 1.3 Quarts

Rear Differential

Fluid Type : Subaru Special S 75W-90 GL5

Capacity : 0.85 Quarts

Clutch

Fluid Type : DOT3 or DOT4 fluid

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

5MT

There have been several variations of the 5MT. Between 1990 and 1995 model years, only the turbo vehicles (USDM Legacy Turbo) had a hydraulic clutch. 1995 and later, every 5MT had a hydraulic clutch that used either DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid. In 1998, Subaru changed from a push type clutch to a pull type. Minor bell housing changes were needed to make this happen, but transmissions are still interchangeable with each other.

The 5MT uses a 50/50 torque split.

5MT

Used in pretty much all Subarus from 1995 - 2002 including the WRX)

1st : 3.785

2nd : 1.945

3rd : 1.500

4th : 0.994

5th : 0.780 - 0.735 WRX

Final Drive : 4.11 - 3.90 WRX

1996 Exception

1st : 3.545

2nd : 2.111

3rd : 1.448

4th : 1.088

5th : 0.825 (FWD) - 0.780 (AWD) - 0.871 (Outback AWD)

Final Drive : 3.454 (FWD) - 3.900 (AWD) - 4.111 (Outback AWD)

5MT Revised

This transmission is used in all non-turbo Subarus 2003 - present

1st : 3.454

2nd : 2.062

3rd : 1.448

4th : 1.088

5th : 0.871

Rev : 3.545

5MT Turbo

This transmission is used in all 5MT Subaru turbo cars 2003 - present

1st : 3.166

2nd : 1.882

3rd : 1.296

4th : 0.972

5th : 0.738

Rev : 3.545

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

4EAT

under construction

The 4EAT is the only automatic transmission available in the BD, BG, and BK Legacys. "EAT" stands for "Electronic Automatic Transmission".

The 4EAT was released in 1988 for use in the Subaru XT6 and Leone Touring Wagon. In 1989 when the EJ engine was released, the bellhousing was changed to accept the newer engine, but for the most part the transmission stayed the same.

The 4EAT has been used in the following Subaru models :

88 - 91 Subaru XT

90 - 04 Subaru Legacy

92 - 97 Subaru SVX

95 - present All Subarus

The 4EAT design has been shared with a few other manufactures as well. Jatco designed the 4EAT, and has allowed Nissan, Ford, and Kia to use the same or very simular designs.

Gear Ratios

1st - 2.785

2nd - 1.545

3rd - 1.000

4th - 0.694

reverse - 2.272

Final drive ratios vary depending on year and model. The majority of final drive ratios are 4.11

Common 4EAT Problems & Solutions

Torque Bind

This is probably the most common 4EAT problem. This is the transmission getting stuck in a 50/50 power split now allowing for slippage in the center diff. Its usually caused by a faulty Duty C solenoid, however can sometimes be cured with a few "drain and fills"

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
maintenance, not trying to be a smart ass

ill fix it - can you delete your post please so all the info can be together and there isn't some random post in the middle of it all lol thanks

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

Thanks for removing the post!

5EAT wasn't standard equipment in the second gen Legacy so I'm not going to give it its own section. I'll touch base on the 5EAT and 6MT in the "swap" section.

Edited by ehsnils
Removed sticky request text

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Despite my car coming with a stage 1 clutch, as well as lightweight flywheel; it appears no real maintenance has been done. I would really like to update the fluids in both my differential, as well as the transmission. I found the guide's portion of which fluids I should check, is there a guide somewhere on how to actually replace the fluids? I have a 5MT. (I did a search and the best topic I found was "5eats rule!")

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated
Nope. Haven't had time to finish it yet. I will soon though. I have some more stuff to add, but I need to go through it and edit / finish it

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a 97 LGT with 5MT. Previous owner informed me of the 2nd gear syncros failing. It grinds going up into second, and down into second is near impossible unless I double clutch and match RPM.

Redline 75/90 NS in the trans. Should I replace with the Subaru Special S 75W-90 GL5, or is it a lost cause?

If syncos are done, my thought is just replace the whole tranny. It has 150k and rebuilding it would cost more than a new one.

If I replace, should I just go with a 3rd gen or WRX tranny? What years will bolt right in?