Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   tein lowering springs on a 2010 Legacy, soo undecided! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186738)

Regis1756 06-01-2012 06:38 PM

thansk for the pics guys. I think I have made my min up! H&R springs, coilovers are a bit out of my price range (aka wife)

blklgt05 06-01-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 3919639)
I agree about coil overs but strongly disagree about linear vs progressive springs. Linear springs travel at 1 set rate. Progressive springs are wound to 2 different rates. The advantage of progressive springs is in the first 1/3 of travel ( where a street car spends most of its time) they can be soft and ride well. The next 2/3 of travel will be firm so that when pushed they firm up. You should never put progressive springs on a track car as linear is consistent. On a street car I wouldn't put linear springs. Just my $.02

All the street cars with coilovers use linear springs, it's better because it's consistent and more predictable. Most springs available to our cars are relatively soft including swifts, so comfort is not an issue unless you get tein stecs. But in comparison, all these progressive springs are made from silicon chrome steel which is a cheaper/harsher material. The H5S.TW material used by swift is made thinner and requires fewer coils. Only swift have access to them, rce once tried to use springs they had swift made for them for wrx and they took that batch to eibach to mass produce them with silicon chrome and they all sagged. Eibach currently manufacture the "functional" springs for rce, they are basically higher/stiffer prokits. Anyways, I've been on swifts for over a year and they are very comfortable and has great road feedback.

Jace2010LGT 06-02-2012 07:42 AM

It's more a matter of preference. I have no doubt in swifts quality. I just prefer a soft ride that firms when pushed. When I did track days on my old bike I put linear springs on for consistent feel and feedback. I guess I just don't push my street car enough to consider them a neccessity.

wrxwhit 06-02-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regis1756 (Post 3918693)
I kind of talked about this in the past, but im torn still. I want to go low with my legacy. I like how the tein's drop about 1.8 all around,but is that too low? I plan on thorwing just some 17 rota grids rims on it. But then I wonder if should just got with the H&R lowering springs, which lower 1.3 inches. Its also a price difference of about 70 bucks (no big deal). Anyways, anybody have pics of the 5th gen legacy's lowered with the H&R springs and tein springs, so I can get an idea of which look better. Mind you, I live in New England, and we get some snow up hurr......
Thanks all!
Tom

Are you just going for a look or are you looking for performance also. If you are only going for the look to lessen fender gap, Swifts/H&R/Teins will do this for you but will compromise ride quality as they will not work well with oem struts. Its been known that if you go more than an inch drop on oem struts, the car becomes more prone to hitting the bump stops (bottoming out). Ask me how I know? Also the struts cannot keep up with the stiffer springs and strut rebound is worsened causing the tires to not maintain road contact as they should. Now, in a perfect world where there no road blemishes, then these issues would not be noticed. Depends on your location of course. RCE's seem to be the way to go for a mild drop and lessen's chance for strut compromise and ride quality. Also some springs such as Swift's will have an appearance of a raked look which I was not a fan of on mine. That's why I went full adjustable coil overs. Maybe harsh for some but perfect for the DRIVER!
On Swifts oem struts of course (rake hard to notice with bad lighting)
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c898-b5e6-e938.jpg
On coilovers with perfect ride height front and rear
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c898-b691-beaf.jpg

minuccims 06-02-2012 08:08 PM

There is not much play on this car. I would imagine with a 1.7" drop you will always be hitting the bump stop. Coil overs is a much better route if your want to lower the car. Given it's adjustable, you can slam it for looks and re adjust for performance.

wrxwhit - looking awsome

wrxwhit 06-02-2012 08:18 PM

thx

Regis1756 06-04-2012 03:05 PM

I mostly want to get rid of that god awful wheel gap. I look at it all the time and it makes me sick. I have a wife and two kids, so not looking to get all crazy. Its your basic legacy. All I wish to do it get tid of tire gap, (lower) rims, RSB to help swaying on highway and window tint. Enough to look nice, but nothing that says I want to race you 16 year old kids with your honda civics and hyundais, but If i have to, I will!

ReGiS 06-04-2012 03:30 PM

another Regis?? impossible

minuccims 06-04-2012 03:34 PM

Way different - that's little g little s regis

Regis1756 06-04-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReGiS (Post 3923338)

Nothing is impossible my friend! It was my nickname is school. Kinda of just stuck, but SOMEONE had just Regis, so I added some numbers to the end of it to make it work.......

ziptiecloud 06-04-2012 03:42 PM

^you're not 256?? ..hmm, must be the pin code..

minuccims 06-04-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReGiS (Post 3923338)

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/09/06/0...bin-bn-tmz.jpg

Regis1756 06-04-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 3923377)

See! Even he is worried about this siutation..........

wrxwhit 06-04-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regis1756 (Post 3923293)
I mostly want to get rid of that god awful wheel gap. I look at it all the time and it makes me sick. I have a wife and two kids, so not looking to get all crazy. Its your basic legacy. All I wish to do it get tid of tire gap, (lower) rims, RSB to help swaying on highway and window tint. Enough to look nice, but nothing that says I want to race you 16 year old kids with your honda civics and hyundais, but If i have to, I will!

From experience, to get rid of sway on highway, a better strut must be purchased. I started with bigger rear bar and Swift's and only helped a little. Now that I'm on coil overs, sway has 100% disappeared even in windy conditions. So the option is go coil or still wait for Billsteins in which I would think should help this condition also.

ReGiS 06-04-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regis1756 (Post 3923347)
Nothing is impossible my friend! It was my nickname is school. Kinda of just stuck, but SOMEONE had just Regis, so I added some numbers to the end of it to make it work.......

Hahahaha too funny...it's been my nickname forever too between my brother and other friend. Can't even tell you how it started it's been that long. And i'm sure you were extremely shocked when it said someone had the name Regis already...