LegacyGT.com

Help: Drive/Prop Shaft failed

mungewell

Hi,

Not a legacy but the Forester is near identical.... my drive shaft failed on the way out the office parking lot. Pulled a bit of a slide in the snow and that seems to have been too much for it (in it's already failing state).

This is also failed last year so I suspect that there's something else wrong. I did notice the car 'crabbling' a little bit during a tight turn in a parking lot a whiles ago - so perhaps the LSD/Differential inside the gear box has failed.

The car is a 2001 Forester S Sport.

Anyhow, I left it at work and walked to my friends house - which I can do till the end of the week. But then I have 200km journey home.... :-(

Dropping the drive shaft out is not a problem (done this before, just a few bolts), but the question is whether I can drive the car OK without it ??? - ie. just in front wheel drive.

Again this is the drive shaft from rear of gearbox to the back differential.

Thanks for any help/advise.

Simon.

May be your right, I did look when I had mine out. I guess you can stand the tranny up on end and not fluid will come out the tail shaft ?

Not sure the ECU will be happy...Really though, I have no idea if you can drive the car from just the front wheels and not have any CEL's or other issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

...and not have any CEL's

This is a 2001 Forester with 350,000km on the clock. CEL's are the least of my worries ;-) I'm more worried about the amount of 'credits' getting my wife to drive a 400km round trip to "come and get me" is going to cost...

Going to pull the driveshaft after work (in the parking lot) and take it for a little test drive.

Well it's out, lets see if I get home on Friday....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8513692329_28beb54321_m.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8530/8513692467_07ae639844_m.jpg

Next is to figure out why the car is busting these, this is the second one to fail like this.

Simon.

Archived